Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with retaining Walton but I don't think it is strictly a $$$ move because more money is lost keeping him around by continuing treading water, throwing the towel in on Bagley's development, and punting any chance at improvement/playoffs for another year. The financial situation in May 2020 is vastly different than today. I think the failed cash call is overblown based on my own investment portfolio.
And the fact that the Spurs sold 30% of their franchise valued at almost 2 bil. Vivek better not be shedding any croc tears this a way. Remember when owning a BBall team was considered a wash if not a luxury item? Vivek has likely made billions in equity alone.

I assume your being sarcastic but I really hope people wouldn’t do that. How quickly we forget he saved this franchise. He wants the kings to win as bad as anyone. He has made mistakes and seems to be learning from them. I forget which owner it was but one of them said he has been a great visionary for the league on technology and global expansion. Those who don’t like the product should stop buying tickets but I hope no one would resort to tactics of “you suck” chants.
except he hasn’t. His meddling and focus on the short term has repeatedly hampered this team. He is clearly the worst owner in sports.

i wasn’t being sarcastic (our fan base is too nice) but yeah you’re right maybe it is too much. However, I feel that Vivek needs to be told to let basketball be run by basketball people a lot louder to at least get him to delegate things where he clearly lacks expertise to others
The problem is he still sets the strategic direction. His “fail fast” mantra and focus on short term making the play-offs versus winning a championship hampers this team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
doc rivers is a players coach and the only reason why he even has a ring is cause he had a Big 4. This player coach crap ain’t gonna work. Time for a real coach that knows basketball
Almost all of the coaches in the league are 'player's coaches' though. Steve Kerr, Mike Malone, Ty Lue, et cetera have all been called players coaches at various times in their careers and have coached their teams to success. Most of the hardass 'coach's coaches' have gotten fired for doing dumb stuff like pissing off their stars or treating their players like high schoolers or adhering to their system so steadfastly that they can't adjust to anything else.

The successful coaches are all probably a happy medium between the two.

(Rick Adelman was considered a 'player's coach' by the way)

Almost all of the coaches in the league are 'player's coaches' though. Steve Kerr, Mike Malone, Ty Lue, et cetera have all been called players coaches at various times in their careers and have coached their teams to success. Most of the hardass 'coach's coaches' have gotten fired for doing dumb stuff like pissing off their stars or treating their players like high schoolers or adhering to their system so steadfastly that they can't adjust to anything else.

While I agree with you in some ways. players that coach a system that fits their team is what is key in the end. Walton is not good at adjustments. Kerr, Malone, Lue are actually pretty good coaches first before being a players coach.

the many dubs fans friends I have. Kerr coaches up players pretty well. Not all players have enough bball IQ to learn but can’t win em all.

Malone- built a nice system with Boogie and Gay then got fired cause of PDA. Got a good thing going with Jokic and team

Lue- came up with the defense to stop the dubs from bombing threes and forcing them to make 2 pt buckets instead.

walton- runs horn offense when pick and roll is clearly better for our personnel. Zero player developement. Sigh just get rid of this guy

Last edited:

There are still a few of the my way or the highway variety. The thing about Luke is it sounds like he's almost not a coach, and more like a "friend". Not good if that "friend" is consistently trying to make rotation and basketball decisions with this kind of success rate.

Yeah, it's time to retire and hang Luke's jersey in the rafters preferably with him wearing it. :p
This is the moment where as a fan you hope Luke finally "gets it" and hopefully he does. The frustrating thing is he has at times and then for some reason completely overcorrected the other way for no reasons and watched the team sink as a result. If he was just total garbage this would be much easier and he'd be gone already. But him dangling that carrot only to yank it away to the benefit of nobody is what hurts the most.

doc rivers is a players coach and the only reason why he even has a ring is cause he had a Big 4. This player coach crap ain’t gonna work. Time for a real coach that knows basketball
Horrible analogy IMO. Doc Rivers is 15 times better as a coach than Luke. That's insulting to him

Should have fired him last season. Just get D’Antoni and lets go to the play-in at least
Honestly, Monte didn't do the work needed to play D'Antoni ball. He'd look at this squad and immediately demand more size on the wing and probably suggest trading Tyrese and Davion to do it haha. Nah, no thanks and too late for that one.

Honestly, Monte didn't do the work needed to play D'Antoni ball. He'd look at this squad and immediately demand more size on the wing and probably suggest trading Tyrese and Davion to do it haha. Nah, no thanks and too late for that one.
i don’t think any team willing to let good wings go now a days. We can always draft one of D’Antoni liking

Not going to lie, I n was a little excited to see what a 3 guard lineup would look like, then I remembered who's going to be implementing this little experiment smh. Fire Luke so we can get to playoffs please

Status
Not open for further replies.