Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was definitely in the camp that we should keep Luke as a tank commander. It feels like we should probably keep him on for a bit longer and then let Gentry finish out the year.

I came on here to just say the same thing....... I am done with his small ball lineup just to get Buddy in the starting lineup... As soon as Walton got Harkless He should of been starting at the 4, but no Walton keeps going small. Which put tons of pressure on our guards to get rebounds they never seem to get and its tiring out the team. You can see it.

oooooh...
I would actually have been fine with Walton going back as an assistant.

I know Arizona probably had to get ahead of the major coaching shakeup that Roy Williams retirement has inevitably created if they were even thinking about moving on so it makes sense. And I have a lot of complaints about Miller, but I'm not keen trying to find the next long term guy in the middle of this climate. Bumpy waters ahead.

just going to eta this: but there is a former Kings coach in the top 5 candidates list I've seen floated. Along with the top Gonzaga assistant, Jason Terry and Josh Pastner. Luke was named in tier B.

Last edited:

The Arizona Wildcats just fired Sean Miller following a long series of allegations of NCAA violations.

And I know of an Arizona alumnus who would be a GREAT coach for them! Just negotiate a buyout, Wildcats! (Apologies to PDX)
Oh gosh, I already had a sense that at some points Luke was thinking what the heck is it going to freaking take for him to get his money so he can bail but can you imagine what he'll do now if he wants that gig? hahaha.

He's just jumping ahead because he is not under consideration - word on the street it is going to be Lloyd from Gonzaga (Few's top assistant) and that they have already been talking numbers but a few alum will get interviews - Jason Terry, Damon Stoudamire for sure, Pastner most likely. Musselman and Bibby are two with Kings ties who have outside shots and Mark Pope (BYU) rounds out the list of probables. Seems like most of UA's fanbase is apoplectic right now. They wouldn't even be happy with Steve Kerr. There would be pitchforks over Walton - and there will be for most of the above as well.

Funny, but the prevailing thought about the NBA is that, for the most part, the head coach doesn’t really matter and winning/losing invariably rests on the shoulders of the actual players. Especially the star players.

We know that with the likes of Pop, Spoelstra, and a few others that isn’t necessarily true. But for the most part, it seems to be.

However when you have a really bad head coach —or at least a really bad fit — that’s also when it becomes painfully apparent how important the role can be.

Funny, but the prevailing thought about the NBA is that, for the most part, the head coach doesn’t really matter and winning/losing invariably rests on the shoulders of the actual players. Especially the star players.

We know that with the likes of Pop, Spoelstra, and a few others that isn’t necessarily true. But for the most part, it seems to be.

However when you have a really bad head coach —or at least a really bad fit — that’s also when it becomes painfully apparent how important the role can be.
Spolstra sucked when he had bad teams and Pop is not doing much right now that former All-Stars like Demar and Alridge are gone or fading rapidly. It's mainly players and GM who gets good fits/talents coaching is by far the least important players will figure it out if they're any good.

I came on here to just say the same thing....... I am done with his small ball lineup just to get Buddy in the starting lineup... As soon as Walton got Harkless He should of been starting at the 4, but no Walton keeps going small. Which put tons of pressure on our guards to get rebounds they never seem to get and its tiring out the team. You can see it.
At least Walton listened to you about the PF spot?

*Watches pistons game. Kings don't pass, don't really run much offence. Lose.
*Reads the athletic post game take where all the blame is on the players and their effort (again)
*Comes here and reads some posts 'coaches don't matter so much, it is the players' (which, for some, just means let's blame the front office again cause their players suck)
* Googles 'how much influence does coaching have in basketball?' Suprisingly, found something of merit here. If we take it at face value coaching accounts for 20-30% of team outcomes across all sports.

Coaches are highly significant in both NBA and Division I college basketball outcomes, influencing points scored, points allowed, point differential and victories.
I did not feel that we lost that game because of effort. We just ran the same stuff again and again. Detroit knew what was coming and were never bothered by it.

*Watches pistons game. Kings don't pass, don't really run much offence. Lose.
*Reads the athletic post game take where all the blame is on the players and their effort (again)
*Comes here and reads some posts 'coaches don't matter so much, it is the players' (which, for some, just means let's blame the front office again cause their players suck)
* Googles 'how much influence does coaching have in basketball?' Suprisingly, found something of merit here. If we take it at face value coaching accounts for 20-30% of team outcomes across all sports.

I did not feel that we lost that game because of effort. We just ran the same stuff again and again. Detroit knew what was coming and were never bothered by it.
20% is basically nothing which means it's the least of the Kings problems, it's the players and the front office like it's always been. Kings fans delude themselves into thinking guys are superstars (Cousins/Fox/Evans) when reality points the the exact opposite that career losers/overpaid starters Buddy/Rudy Gay/Barnes are huge contributors to wins when they're not and teams get better as soon as they move them. Than the drafting of absolute bums like Bagley/Robinson/Mclemore/Nik/WCS/Jimmer /Papa G,/JJ/Giles and that's the problem there not George Karl (career winner in the regular season), Malone (was treated like a god becasue of one 9-6 run), Joeger (did as well as anyone could) and now Luke. When you best FA signings of the last 10 years have been Holmes/Bjelica/Bogi that's not good.

Last edited:
20% is basically nothing which means it's the least of the Kings problems, it's the players and the front office like it's always been. Kings fans delude themselves into thinking guys are superstars (Cousins/Fox/Evans) when reality points the the exact opposite that career losers/overpaid starters Buddy/Rudy Gay/Barnes are huge contributors to wins when they're not and teams get better as soon as they move them. Than the drafting of absolute bums like Bagley/Robinson/Mclemore/Nik/WCS/Jimmer /Papa G,/JJ/Giles and that's the problem there not George Karl (career winner in the regular season), Malone (was treated like a god becasue of one 9-6 run), Joeger (did as well as anyone could) and now Luke. When you best FA signings of the last 10 years have been Holmes/Bjelica/Bogi that's not good.
Just a long list of bad decisions. I mean they had to give Fox and Cousins the extensions. You can't just lose your best players because they can't elevate trash rosters into the playoffs during their first few seasons but the draft picks and firing of the good coaches is what has them in the situation they're in. Build a promising roster and some higher level free agents will come here if the team shows signs of becoming a playoff team. Might not get loaded up with ring chasers but they'd at least be able to choose from higher level players.

This franchise would be on a completely different trajectory if Vlade had just made one common sense decision on draft night a few years back. We don't speak about that because it derails every thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.