Fire Paul Westphal

What about Sam Mitchell? He was Coach of the year in Toronto, currently working as scout in New Jersey. He would surely be interested in coaching again and probably won't ask for too much salary.

It's very early, but this is what Dwane Casey has done in Toronto in his one short offseason (stolen from @stackmack). Just makes me sad.

I will say that though I was really frustrated with Westphal last season and got close to the edge of the 'Fire Him' bandwagon, the one thing which I thought was important was that the team never really seemed to give up on him.
It seemed as if the team by and large played hard for him and gave it their all.

Tonight....

It looked like a team who had given up on their coach.

We all know that we lost a lot of games last year, but so many of them were really competitive.

Did you know that it wasn't until our 52nd game that we lost our 4th game by 20+ points?
We've managed the same feat this year in only 7 games.
It's a testament to how horrible our offensive system is, and how much the players just don't care enough to play hard on the defensive end.

At this point in time, if Westphal has truly lost the team, we are better off trying something new rather than prolonging this dysfunctional relationship.

SLOAN -> hell yeah..
also if his health would permit him It would be great if rudy Tomjanovic would coach this kings team. id take larry brown too... I've had it with westphal

Isn't trying for yourself specifically one of the problems that people are complaining about? When there's no set rotation, players don't know when they're coming in or out. When there's no effective offensive system, players can't work together effectively. Granted, the team can't go big like it could last year (although Hickson/Cousins would be nice to try), but that's still no excuse for Westphal constantly going small ball.
Coaching is at the root of the problem this year.

Is Dalembert's loss that much of a factor? Can't be. He wouldn't have stopped the freeway of love that the Nuggets paved tonight.
Is the addition of Fredette/Thomas detrimental? I think IT is getting waay too many minutes, but that's not his fault - the coach puts him out there. Ditto Outlaw.

One thing to note: this has happened every year with Westphal at the helm. The start has always been ugly, as he tinkers around while most of us can clearly see what the lineup and rotation should look like. Eventually he settles to something, but by that time too much has been lost. I think the players finally got fed up with that.
While losing Dalembert is not the reason for what we are seeing out there, make no mistake it is a bigger factor than some people will admit. Having said that, having Dalembert won't make the players more interested. It won't motivate them or make them follow their coach. Those are the things that are purely on coach.

The team has plain quit and there is nothing else that needs to be said. When the team quits, or tunes out the coach, there is only one viable solution to all this.

There is only one positive in these uninspiring results and thats with every poor showing, Westphal is a step closer to getting fired! As rainmaker said, I am expecting us to suck badly once again tomorrow against the Bucks and I am expecting that the fans will boo this team and they could well get a taste what it is like to play at PBP as a team that fans are not rooting for. That will be a major slap in the face for the franchise and if owners are genuine about staying in Sacramento and making it work here, they will fire Westphal and this time around actually go out and spend money to get a real coach.

While losing Dalembert is not the reason for what we are seeing out there, make no mistake it is a bigger factor than some people will admit.
I agree. Petrie was so stupid not doing enough to sign Dalembert again. He instead spent the money for mediocre players like Hickson, Outlaw, and Salmons. I cannot believe Dalembert signed $14M for 2 years with the 2nd year team option at Houston. I am pretty sure if the Kings upped the offer for a few million bucks Dalembert could have been wearing the Kings uniform again. It was a big mistake not putting the money where it should have mattered most. The 3 guard small-ball would not have been "too small" if we have the Cousins-Dalembert tandem anchoring the defense.

Moresoever, we have a coach who loves to play small ball, as if our midget rookie guys play like the Rondos and Roses of this league. Such a clueless coach who deserves to be fired. But I hope the General Manager gets fired too for having failed to assist/guide the owners into assembling a more functional team/organization. IMO, he is the one man most responsible for all this mess.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I agree with you Prince.

1. Believe it or not the fact is that Dally did signed with Houston for a lesser deal than the Kings. The question should be why?
2. Dally wouldn't help this team with the disarray that the team is in now. I doubt even Dwight Howard would be able to play well with the current situation.
3. spending more money for Dally just to get a few more win is worth it? I don't think having Dally would make any of our young talents any better than they are now. If anything Dally would play more solo and probably could care less about their development.

WE need a vet coach. Moneys going to be an issue but dead set we need a Vet coach or we will forever be bottom dwellers
No no no. We need a real coach. Doesn't matter how long they have been in the league. I would take Tom T. right now, wouldn't you? He's not a vet coach. There are lots of vet coaches out there that are bad. Just like Westfail.

I'm not sure if I agree with you Prince.

1. Believe it or not the fact is that Dally did signed with Houston for a lesser deal than the Kings. The question should be why?
2. Dally wouldn't help this team with the disarray that the team is in now. I doubt even Dwight Howard would be able to play well with the current situation.
3. spending more money for Dally just to get a few more win is worth it? I don't think having Dally would make any of our young talents any better than they are now. If anything Dally would play more solo and probably could care less about their development.
Yep. People are acting like if we just offered more money then Dalembert would have come back. It's looking more and more like it didn't matter how much we offered. The only thing that would have given us a chance is a new coach.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yep. People are acting like if we just offered more money then Dalembert would have come back. It's looking more and more like it didn't matter how much we offered. The only thing that would have given us a chance is a new coach.
Same thing happened with Jamal Crawford this year too. LEt's not forget the Bonzi Wells debacle either.

L

LWP777

Well, it's now 10:18 PST. My guess is if he was going to get fired today, they would have announced it by now. I guess we get at least one more game out of Westfail.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree. Petrie was so stupid not doing enough to sign Dalembert again. He instead spent the money for mediocre players like Hickson, Outlaw, and Salmons. I cannot believe Dalembert signed $14M for 2 years with the 2nd year team option at Houston. I am pretty sure if the Kings upped the offer for a few million bucks Dalembert could have been wearing the Kings uniform again. It was a big mistake not putting the money where it should have mattered most. The 3 guard small-ball would not have been "too small" if we have the Cousins-Dalembert tandem anchoring the defense.

Moresoever, we have a coach who loves to play small ball, as if our midget rookie guys play like the Rondos and Roses of this league. Such a clueless coach who deserves to be fired. But I hope the General Manager gets fired too for having failed to assist/guide the owners into assembling a more functional team/organization. IMO, he is the one man most responsible for all this mess.
First: We traded to aquire Hickson and Salmons! So no freeagent money was spent there. Outlaw was gotten on the cheap after amnesty. The jury is till out on how valuable he'll be, but he's hardly a major investment. Now I agree with some of your assessment, but at least get the facts straight. As for Dalembert. Its obvious he didn't want to come back to the Kings. Could we have gotten him with outrageous money? Maybe, probably! But the real problem is coaching, and I don't think Dalembert would have solved that problem.

Anyone know who are available coaches out there? I strongly believe it's the coaching why Kings sucked so much. On paper we should have enough talent to compete every game.

A good example are the Warriors. They weren't good defensively last season, but with new coach in MJackson you could see there is a difference in how they played and their defense improved and with about the same line-up as last year. If not for Curry's injuries they could have more wins by now. And comparing our talent level on our team i would say Kings should be the same if not better than the Warriors. Also, the Nuggets, one would think this team would have gone down the drain without Melo, but no, they've go multiple mismatch pieces but with them playing with effort and energy they've won more games anyone could have predicted.

I strongly believe, Westphal has to go...or is it the FO, how many times had we had this happen all over again. Mussleman, Reggie Theus...oh well..

Anyone know who are available coaches out there? I strongly believe it's the coaching why Kings sucked so much. On paper we should have enough talent to compete every game.

A good example are the Warriors. They weren't good defensively last season, but with new coach in MJackson you could see there is a difference in how they played and their defense improved and with about the same line-up as last year. If not for Curry's injuries they could have more wins by now. And comparing our talent level on our team i would say Kings should be the same if not better than the Warriors. Also, the Nuggets, one would think this team would have gone down the drain without Melo, but no, they've go multiple mismatch pieces but with them playing with effort and energy they've won more games anyone could have predicted.

I strongly believe, Westphal has to go...or is it the FO, how many times had we had this happen all over again. Mussleman, Reggie Theus...oh well..
Doesn't matter who's out there right now. It is very rare for a coach to come in mid season. The most likely person is Keith Smart finishing out the year.

First: We traded to aquire Hickson and Salmons! So no freeagent money was spent there. Outlaw was gotten on the cheap after amnesty. The jury is till out on how valuable he'll be, but he's hardly a major investment. Now I agree with some of your assessment, but at least get the facts straight. As for Dalembert. Its obvious he didn't want to come back to the Kings. Could we have gotten him with outrageous money? Maybe, probably! But the real problem is coaching, and I don't think Dalembert would have solved that problem.
That cheap money that went to Outlaw could have been spent to upped the offer on Dalembert. We got one mediocre player in Salmons already, why spent just for the sake of spending on another one like Outlaw who clearly won't do anything better than what we already have? Also, If I remember the report rightly we withdraw the offer on Dalembert even before Dalembert signed up in Houston. Hardly a testament that Petrie did his best.

I can see why there aren't a lot of smoke coming out in the media regarding his dealings/negotiations. This is because he really doesn't do that much dealing. He will inquire, stopped, then sit back comfortably.