FIRE MIKE BROWN

gunks

Hall of Famer
I joked about hopping into this debate in the game thread so here I am!

Although.... I'm not actually on board with Brown being fired, despite the atrocious "spray 3" BS offense. He's still a solid HC, the defense was starting to look real good, and we were missing one of our top 3 guys without Monk tonight.

I think the move might be to find a really good assistant to take over the offense.

So uh, I'll see y'all in the "run it back" thread, because I think that was the real issue this season.

Yes. These are good, basic observations that should at least cause some flicker of doubt about the Coach. There is a very weird blind spot people have around Brown though.
I think many are fans of him, because he comes across as a likeable guy and is a player's coach who was able to change the culture.

I agree that whatever his "offensive system" was this season, it needs to expand and have more options and wrinkles. Knowledgeable fans and basketball minds don't want to keep hearing "more spray 3's"

Mike Brown is literally the 2nd best coach the Kings have had in the 40 year Sacramento history. He's won 48 and 46 games in first two seasons with this franchise. Mike Brown is not the problem.

The roster needs to improve big time for this team to be a perennial playoff team. When your 6th man of the year goes down to injury and the coach is forced to play Chris Durate in his place, the talent on the team is the problem. Monte needs to improve this roster big time. Just about every move he made last year worked (Sign Mike Brown, draft Keegan, Sign Monk, trade for Huerter). This off season was the exact opposite, just about every move he made this off season didn't hit (trade for Durate, re-sign HB instead of shopping for an upgrade, dump your 1st round pick, sign Sasha, sign McGee).

I feel Monte rested on his laurels of getting the Kings into the playoffs and just kind of thought this team was a finished product. He should had identified the core (Fox, Sabonis, Keegan and Monk) and made everybody else on the block for upgrade. Instead he felt he was just a few peripheral moves away from contending and they clearly were not. Hopefully he learned his lesson that he needs to go out and make things happen and search for improvements, instead of just hoping for improvement from within.

Brown has overachieved in my book. This team has peaked as currently constructed. Even if u hire a different coach they are at best maybe a 40-45 win team.

Here are things brown could improve on though

- Developing younger guys especially when your team isn't particularily that deep you can at least find a few mins for your newer guys. Plus your vets like Huerter and Barnes aren't exactly lighting it up. It wouldn't surprise me if our draft pick and colby jones get no playing time next season. It took injuries to Huerter and Monk for Ellis to get playing time.

- I don't know if jacking up 40+ 3's a game is a recipe for success especially when you're slightly underaverage or average as a team at it.

- He could also be better with his challenges.

If the weird blind spot is like the coach that's lead us to the best Kings basketball we've had in 18 years, then sure, I guess a bunch of us are blind then.
The blindness is even being willing to look at any faults whatsoever - not even concluding that he should go - I mean just even being willing to consider any of his drawbacks. That's intolerable for a good chunk of posters it seems. Very weird.

He has a lot of room for improvement. Whether he can do that, at this point in his career, remains to be seen
Who said he doesn't?

That's the funny thing. Its the "fire Brown" side that's irrational about their point. I am an intelligent human (most of the time) and can understand 2 things can be true.

1. Brown has things to work on for us to become a title contender.

2. Brown is also the 2nd best coach in Kings history, by a significant margin and it can (and has) gotten significantly worse in our franchise history.

Unless Fox and Domas are out on Brown as a coach (I highly doubt it), you never fire him. It's the worst mistake every team makes; you don't fire winning coaches, unless they lose the locker room.

The blindness is even being willing to look at any faults whatsoever - not even concluding that he should go - I mean just even being willing to consider any of his drawbacks. That's intolerable for a good chunk of posters it seems. Very weird.
That's just simply not true. If so, prove your work and show example of posters "not willing to look at any faults whatsoever"

For example, I screamed most of the year about how dumb it was Javale McGee was in the rotation. Plenty of posting history on my end about it. I've also talked about how much I've disliked how rigid Brown is with his positions and he wasn't willing to play guys down or up in positions (Huerter at the 3, Lyles at the 5, for example). Although he did get a little better at this later this season, but mostly forced due to injuries. Is that me not considering Mike Brown's drawbacks as a coach? Or does that not fit your narrative?

Yes. These are good, basic observations that should at least cause some flicker of doubt about the Coach. There is a very weird blind spot people have around Brown though.
My “blind spot” is history. Look at the history of the Sacramento franchise. I know you know it, you’re not new to this team. We’ve had 2 coaches in the nearly 40 years of the Sacramento Kings that have coached winning seasons. 2!
Do you honestly think firing Mike Brown right now and finding a new coach would be a step forward for this organization? Do you think that would be good for the culture of the team? What type of message do you think that would send to Fox, Domas and Murray?
Coach has his flaws, I angree, but it’s easy to look at a game like tonight and hard not be reactionary. But look at Tuesday against the Warriors. He made adjustments that threw the Warriors way off their game plan. Kerr even said as much in the post game press conference…I believe his exact words were “Coach Brown kicked my butt tonight”
I appreciate your passion Vinny, I just can’t get on board with this take. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Who said he doesn't?

That's the funny thing. Its the "fire Brown" side that's irrational about their point. I am an intelligent human (most of the time) and can understand 2 things can be true.

1. Brown has things to work on for us to become a title contender.

2. Brown is also the 2nd best coach in Kings history, by a significant margin and it can (and has) gotten significantly worse in our franchise history.

Unless Fox and Domas are out on Brown as a coach (I highly doubt it), you never fire him. It's the worst mistake every team makes; you don't fire winning coaches, unless they lose the locker room.
2nd most successful coach in Sacramento history is such a low bar, that it really shouldn't weigh much into an evaluation.

If he hovers between say 43 and 49 wins and never gets out of the 1st round, I'd be surprised if they don't go another direction at some point

2nd most successful coach in Sacramento history is such a low bar, that it really shouldn't weigh much into an evaluation.

If he hovers between say 43 and 49 wins and never gets out of the 1st round, I'd be surprised if they don't go another direction at some point
The key here is "at some point"...Which I agree with you should the first half of your statement hold up to be true.

..."at some point" is just not now.

My “blind spot” is history. Look at the history of the Sacramento franchise. I know you know it, you’re not new to this team. We’ve had 2 coaches in the nearly 40 years of the Sacramento Kings that have coached winning seasons. 2!
Do you honestly think firing Mike Brown right now and finding a new coach would be a step forward for this organization? Do you think that would be good for the culture of the team? What type of message do you think that would send to Fox, Domas and Murray?
Coach has his flaws, I angree, but it’s easy to look at a game like tonight and hard not be reactionary. But look at Tuesday against the Warriors. He made adjustments that threw the Warriors way off their game plan. Kerr even said as much in the post game press conference…I believe his exact words were “Coach Brown kicked my butt tonight”
I appreciate your passion Vinny, I just can’t get on board with this take. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
If I could like this post one time every day for the rest of my life, I would. Well said...:p:p:p