Finally people are seeing the light! (Kobe Jersey sales)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KP

Starter
Fans shunning Kobe Bryant's jersey
AP Photo
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Kobe Bryant is no longer a fashion icon.

For the last month, Bryant's No. 8 Lakers jersey -- previously one of the best sellers in the world -- has fallen out of the top 50, according to point-of-sale data tabulated by a Florida market research firm.

Bryant's NBA jersey was still the 10th-highest selling jersey for the year, but he finished the month of December at No. 72 -- and in one week plunged to No. 90, a drastic slide for the player many once saw as the sport's next marketing golden boy.

"I would never have thought it would have dropped off like this,'' said Neil Schwartz, director of marketing and business development for SportsScanINFO in West Palm Beach, which tracks weekly sales data from sporting goods retailers nationwide.

Bryant's marketability has likely been hurt by the flurry of bad press he's been receiving lately, analysts say. It began with his rape case and included his feud with former teammate Shaquille O'Neal, his spat with current teammate Karl Malone and a new book by former coach Phil Jackson that portrays Bryant as an aloof prima donna.

Before the season started, O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat and Jackson retired -- departures that many fans have blamed on Bryant.

"I was a big fan, but I just can't wear his jersey anymore,'' said Patrick Buan, 27, of Victorville, Calif., who last month put up for sale his four Bryant jerseys on eBay.

Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not return calls seeking comment. Nike Inc., Bryant's main sponsor, also declined to comment, saying only that Bryant remains under contract with the company.

Officials at AEG, the Lakers' parent company, said sales of Bryant's jersey had dipped noticeably at the store in Staples Center in recent weeks. They said the problem began early this summer as Bryant prepared to face criminal rape charges -- which were later dropped after his accuser said she did not want to participate in the trial.

"He's such a significant player that we weren't willing to make all those goods and have him go to jail,'' said Alan Fey, vice president of merchandising for AEG.

Schwartz said Bryant's legal troubles could account for a drop in sales in the summer and possibly at the beginning of the season -- but not in December.

In June -- when the preparations for Bryant's rape trial were going full tilt -- three of Bryant's jerseys occupied the first, third and fifth spots in terms of units sold, according to Schwartz, whose company tallies numbers from a wide range of retailers, including JC Penny, Sears and Sports Chalet.

Industry insiders say that while fans may have been willing to look the other way during the rape scandal, they seem far less willing to forgive him now for what they see as the breakup of a championship team.

"I think a lot of people were understanding of the rape trial, because there are a lot of cases of players being entrapped,'' said Bob Dorfman, executive vice president of Pickett Advertising in San Francisco. "But it's all about winning -- that's what tickles the cash register. When he jeopardized that by singlehandely blowing apart the team, it was the final straw for a lot of people.''

The drop in sales is being felt in a wide variety of retail venues -- from small sporting good chains to the Lakers' memorabilia hub at Staples Center.

"Kobe's jersey was a core part of our business -- and now with the team going in the direction it has, we've ordered less and seen less of a demand,'' said Mike Batt, general manager of Fanzz in Salt Lake City, a sporting goods retail chain with 32 stores.

The drop in sales is bad news for Nike Inc., based in Beaverton, Ore., which sank a reported $40 million into a multiyear contract with Bryant.

While Nike does not make his jersey -- Massachusetts-based Reebok, Inc. recently bought the licensing rights to all NBA player jerseys from Nike -- the decline is further evidence that they may not see a return on their investment.

While both McDonald's and Nutella have since dropped him, Nike has stood by Bryant, but has yet to use him in a single ad, even in ones touting Bryant's own shoe.

Nike spokesman Rodney Knox declined to say whether the manufacturer intends to use him in future campaigns.

"There's too much at stake for Nike to want to tarnish their brand image by using him,'' said Paul Swangard, managing director of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon.

While the drop in sales is surprising, it's unlikely to make a dent in Bryant's personal fortune. In June, Forbes.Com ranked him as the 10th highest-paid celebrity of 2004, earning $26.1 million from June 2003 to June 2004 in salaries, bonuses, prize money, appearance fees -- as well as his Nike endorsement.

HAhahahahahahahahahahaha.... ha

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I first purchased Nutella when I found out they'd dropped Kobe as their spokesperson. It's pretty good stuff and I now buy it regularly.

;)

As long as it ain't Vegimite or Euro Chocolate spread.

Go (away) Kobe!!!

So, by all the threads I have been reading over the past few months on this MB and others, am I to assume that Kobe was the instigator of all the hatred? He seemed to be the one in most of the confrentations (and Rick Fox) and now that Snack is gone, everyone seems to like him (with Wayde) and still hate Kobe. So had it been a more loveable SG instead of Kobe all those years, could the Lakers have been a less hated team?

Just an innocent observation.

jacobdrj said:
As long as it ain't Vegimite or Euro Chocolate spread.

Go (away) Kobe!!!

So, by all the threads I have been reading over the past few months on this MB and others, am I to assume that Kobe was the instigator of all the hatred? He seemed to be the one in most of the confrentations (and Rick Fox) and now that Snack is gone, everyone seems to like him (with Wayde) and still hate Kobe. So had it been a more loveable SG instead of Kobe all those years, could the Lakers have been a less hated team?

Just an innocent observation.
It has nothing to do with Kobe or Shaq. It has to do with the LAKERS. If Kobe was on the Miami Heat and Shaq was still a Laker, we would hate Shaq and like Kobe.

Shaq was more hated than Kobe over here when they were both on the Lakers.

I disagree with that flat...Yes i hated the lakers becuase of the history with the kings, but i really, really hate Kobe...and i think it's fantastic that people are fianlly noticing what kind of person he really is, or at least really seems to be.

VF21 said:
I first purchased Nutella when I found out they'd dropped Kobe as their spokesperson. It's pretty good stuff and I now buy it regularly.
;)
Isn't Nutella a German, or Swiss, hazel nut-flavored chocolate emulsion? They dropped Kobe? I would have thought that Kobe Bryant would still be a crowd favorite in central Europe, just like Michael Jackson, Boxcar Willy, Jerry Lewis, and Rula Lenska.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
[FLaT] said:
It has nothing to do with Kobe or Shaq. It has to do with the LAKERS. If Kobe was on the Miami Heat and Shaq was still a Laker, we would hate Shaq and like Kobe.

Shaq was more hated than Kobe over here when they were both on the Lakers.
Actually I think that may well be right. From a purely Kings fan perspective it was Shaq/Fox/PJ who were the most odious taunters. Kobe was relatively quiet.

Ont he other hand he WAS a Laker, and still is. Now throw in the ugliness that he has surrounded himself with, an dno surprise that the hate would keep on rolling for him while the other guys went off and washed themselves off.

BTW, am I the only one a little disgusted that oh, a rape trial doesn't slow down Kobe's jersey sales, but breaking up a basketball team and playing for a middling team does? May just be an accumulation effect, but still, what the hell sort of value system is that?

Look beyond Kobe at professional sports in general. Sticking to basketball, Jason Williams of the NJ Nets is a fine example. Nobody seems to say much about Magic Johnson's sexually-transmitted HIV issue. In terms of real and speculative human damage and suffering, Kobe is a relative piker.

i'm not sure where nutella is from. i first had it when i was in france. i'd but it more often, but i just can't. i was very pleased when they dumped kobe as a sponser.

as for his jersey, FINALLY PEOPLE!!!!!!! it's about time!!!!!!!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
quick dog said:
Look beyond Kobe at professional sports in general. Sticking to basketball, Jason Williams of the NJ Nets is a fine example. Nobody seems to say much about Magic Johnson's sexually-transmitted HIV issue. In terms of real and speculative human damage and suffering, Kobe is a relative piker.
Im not sure what youy point is here. There is a world of difference between two (or more) consenting adults having consentual sex and studipdly contracting HIV, and rape charges.

Brick I am with you. I am sickned that fans could stad by Kobe during a rape trial, but drop him like a tab of acid when Dr. Buss dimantled the team for him.

HndsmCelt said:
Im not sure what youy point is here. There is a world of difference between two (or more) consenting adults having consentual sex and studipdly contracting HIV, and rape charges.

Brick I am with you. I am sickned that fans could stad by Kobe during a rape trial, but drop him like a tab of acid when Dr. Buss dimantled the team for him.
Jason Williams blew away his chauffer with a shotgun. Given his life style, which I consider to have been stupid and irresponsible, Magic Johnson may have handed several women death sentences.

Kobe probably raped a woman in Colorado. The point is that Kobe is bad news, but not any worse than dozens of other professional athletes.

Bricklayer said:
Actually I think that may well be right. From a purely Kings fan perspective it was Shaq/Fox/PJ who were the most odious taunters. Kobe was relatively quiet.

Ont he other hand he WAS a Laker, and still is. Now throw in the ugliness that he has surrounded himself with, an dno surprise that the hate would keep on rolling for him while the other guys went off and washed themselves off.

BTW, am I the only one a little disgusted that oh, a rape trial doesn't slow down Kobe's jersey sales, but breaking up a basketball team and playing for a middling team does? May just be an accumulation effect, but still, what the hell sort of value system is that?
At the Kings/Lakers game at ARCO there was a girl sitting in Kings row that was probably 15 or 16. She was wearing a Kobe jersey and was trying to get his attention for an autograph before the game(he didn't come over). I assumed it was her Dad that was standing next to her and I was wondering what her Dad was thinking letting her wear his jersey. I would assume he was a Laker fan as well and that probably had something to do with it but it just struck me as odd.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For the record, I have lost all the respect I once had for Kobe Bryant. I still acknowledge his skills, but that's it. As far as the Large Living Room Suite (with occasional tables, standing halogen lamp, area rugs, sleeper sofa, two recliners, ceiling fan, lined drapes, overstuffed chair with matching ottoman, entertainment center, framed picture of Don Johnson and Philip-Michael Thomas, multiple HD-TVs, chauffeur-driven golf cart for room-to-room transport, in-house catering service, hotline to Chad Ford, 12-tall artifical Christmas tree, noisemakers and indoor wave machine) is concerned, it's his mouth and lack of brain-to-mouth connection that has bugged me the most.

Bottom line, I hate the Lakers. Most times, if a player leaves the Lakers, I still hate him because...he used to be a Laker. I've tried being magninimous about this, but to no avail. Apparently, the only exceptions to the rule are Lakers who saw the light, left the Evil Empire and came to Sacramento. :D

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
quick dog said:
Jason Williams blew away his chauffer with a shotgun. Given his life style, which I consider to have been stupid and irresponsible, Magic Johnson may have handed several women death sentences.

Kobe probably raped a woman in Colorado. The point is that Kobe is bad news, but not any worse than dozens of other professional athletes.
You will get no argument about Jay Williams here but faulting Magic may go to far. First once Magic was aware of his HIV status from all accounts he became VERY responsable and brave by comeing forward to bring attnetion to a national epidemic that the straight community wnated to belived only effected gays and addictes. Also blameing Magic for the infection of any woman who was stupid enough to have unprotected sex makes a victim out of what most of us would consider a voluenteer.

To quote Forest Gump's mother, "Stupid is as stupid does." Nevertherless, I assume that young basketball roadies don't always make wise decisions. Adults need to be responsible.

i really can't believe that his jersey wouldn't stay in the top 50 best jersey sellers (for however the length)...i mean who are the 50, the 71 and the 89 players who are before him?? I mean im no fan of Kobe...but lets be realistic...that just can't be right....can it...

We're talking about his jersey sales over a 1-month period? Lemme get this straight...his jersey (which hasn't changed in design in 6 years) was still the 10th best selling jersey in sports for the year?

Seems like a devilkobe filler article to me.

quick dog said:

You are seriously saying that you don't think rape is any more serious than irresponsibly (unprotected, multi partner) sex. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.