Everyone Speechless?

Another look. It takes two to tango and we, the Kings, have only one.

IMO it takes at least four legimate starters and another five quality players to be competitive consistently. We have only two starters - Martin and Evans. Beyond our two starters I believe we have five quality players. That makes an inadequate total of 7 quality when we need 9 to be consistenty competitive. That won't work and it doesn't.

We need three starters we don't have. Getting one more quality big will really help but it won't do it.

We're on a straight line to another poor season. I've enjoyed seeing our guys turn some heads and I expect to see some more of that. The varying rotations are not going away because no matter how you carve it we don't have the players to be consistently competitive.

And no matter what we think of Martin he is a legitimate starter in this league. If he goes we have only one legit starter, and if we get one in return for Martin we still only have two starters. We have a ways to go. And I plan to enjoy the trip.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Another look. It takes two to tango and we, the Kings, have only one.

IMO it takes at least four legimate starters and another five quality players to be competitive consistently. We have only two starters - Martin and Evans. Beyond our two starters I believe we have five quality players. That makes an inadequate total of 7 quality when we need 9 to be consistenty competitive. That won't work and it doesn't.

We need three starters we don't have. Getting one more quality big will really help but it won't do it.

We're on a straight line to another poor season. I've enjoyed seeing our guys turn some heads and I expect to see some more of that. The varying rotations are not going away because no matter how you carve it we don't have the players to be consistently competitive.

And no matter what we think of Martin he is a legitimate starter in this league. If he goes we have only one legit starter, and if we get one in return for Martin we still only have two starters. We have a ways to go. And I plan to enjoy the trip.

Good points about the quality starters. If we trade Martin (and filler?) for a quality starting big then, yes, we'll still have only 2 definite starters. However, looking beyond this year, as we continue the rebuild, we could draft a starter, you never know. More importantly, I see Omri as a quality starter by next year. He's hit the rookie wall and is tired, but as he continues playing and building stamina, I see him ready by next year.

I am often amazed at the divergent viewpoints on this site. There are actually people here that think Hawes will be fine and there are others that want his head on a stick. There is no middle ground is my point.

It is my honest opinion that the Kings need a Rent-O-Center with and expiring contract that can Play Defense at the Center position without needing double team help every single time. I mean Hawes needs double team help even if he is guarding a small forward or a guard! Petrie needs to let his project center come off the bench, and he needs to pick up a Defensive minded center that can start and help the Kings by playing good post defense and rebounding the ball. Maybe alter a shot or 2 in the paint.

We have far too many scorers and not enough role players. Brockman is a great rebounding role player but he needs a bigger Center to team up with him to defend the rim while players like Evans, Martin, and Casspi Drive, Kick, and Shoot. Those 3 are potent offensive weapons and we have others waiting to come in like Beno and Nocconi that can be rotated in and if hot, left in. The main thing is that we get a Big that makes our Zone Defense work. No more rotating every time to help the center guard his man! There are some teams that have centers that MUST be double teamed like the Magic, but most teams have an average center that our bigs make look like allstars with their poor post defense and rebounding! According to the talking heads that are wrong 50% of the time, this draft year is deep with bigs. So we can get a big now to help in the short term and maybe draft a big to groom and put in the rotation eventually.

Come on Petrie, pick up a defensive center, and dont destroy our core to get him! He doesn't have to score, just jump, rebound, and play defense. A role player that starts in the middle! Petrie shouldn't have to use all his chips to acquire a player like that. A strong center that wont get pushed around the paint like he's wearing roller skates! Come on Petrie! We know you can do it!! We have faith in you !!! :)

Last edited:
I am often amazed at the divergent viewpoints on this site. There are actually people here that think Hawes will be fine and there are others that want his head on a stick. There is no middle ground is my point.

It is my honest opinion that the Kings need a Rent-O-Center with and expiring contract that can Play Defense at the Center position without needing double team help every single time. I mean Hawes needs double team help even if he is guarding a small forward or a guard! Petrie needs to let his project center come off the bench, and he needs to pick up a Defensive minded center that can start and help the Kings by playing good post defense and rebounding the ball. Maybe alter a shot or 2 in the paint.

We have far too many scorers and not enough role players. Brockman is a great rebounding role player but he needs a bigger Center to team up with him to defend the rim while players like Evans, Martin, and Casspi Drive, Kick, and Shoot. Those 3 are potent offensive weapons and we have others waiting to come in like Beno and Nocconi that can be rotated in and if hot, left in. The main thing is that we get a Big that makes our Zone Defense work. No more rotating every time to help the center guard his man! There are some teams that have centers that MUST be double teamed like the Magic, but most teams have an average center that our bigs make look like allstars with their poor post defense and rebounding! According to the talking heads that are wrong 50% of the time, this draft year is deep with bigs. So we can get a big now to help in the short term and maybe draft a big to groom and put in the rotation eventually.

Come on Petrie, pick up a defensive center, and dont destroy our core to get him! He doesn't have to score, just jump, rebound, and play defense. A role player that starts in the middle! Petrie shouldn't have to use all his chips to acquire a player like that. A strong center that wont get pushed around the paint like he's wearing roller skates! Come on Petrie! We know you can do it!! We have faith in you !!! :)
Are all your posts about Hawes?:rolleyes: Just kidding

Man! Casspi really said that about Hawes? I can see us people on the internet talking mess, but your own teamate?

What's this world coming to?
Casspi is just speaking the truth. Good players hold their teammates accountable. I respect that.

Hawes averaged 7 rebounds a game at Washington. In the Pac 10. And he's 7 foot tall.

Never understood the love for the guy.

Casspi is just speaking the truth. Good players hold their teammates accountable. I respect that.
I agree with you to a degree...however, while I personally love Casspi as a player, and i love his fire, I'm starting to get a little concerned with his demeanur. He's got so much passion sometimes he just can't control himself (reactions on the court, comments in the paper, attitude with coach). I see it going one of two ways with Casspi. Either he channels that energy and becomes a intense winner and leader. Or he becomes a locker room problem/annoyance after a while. I suspect the former rather than the latter (especially on a winning team)....

I agree with you to a degree...however, while I personally love Casspi as a player, and i love his fire, I'm starting to get a little concerned with his demeanur. He's got so much passion sometimes he just can't control himself (reactions on the court, comments in the paper, attitude with coach). I see it going one of two ways with Casspi. Either he channels that energy and becomes a intense winner and leader. Or he becomes a locker room problem/annoyance after a while. I suspect the former rather than the latter (especially on a winning team)....
He's a young guy so you hope he matures but this has been an issue for him his entire professional career. I'd rather have a guy that cares too much than too little but it can have a negative impact on the team.

It may be true, but I never like any teammate to call out another teammate to the media. Talk to your teammate/coach/GM/owner, whatever, but not the media.

Hawes averaged 7 rebounds a game at Washington. In the Pac 10. And he's 7 foot tall.

Never understood the love for the guy.

if you played alongside brock you would be lucky enough to get 5 rebounds tops in college

he was a freshman... and was struggling with a flu or sickness of something i looked back on that part. he lost weight that time and

but his HS stats are something though

I am glad that Casspi basically just stated the obvious.

Get this team a real center, Petrie. Asap.

I don't know how we went into this season thinking we weren't going to be lacking in the big-man department. Didn't think it would hurt us this bad, however. I guess a lot was riding on how much Hawes would be able to improve, if at all.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The schedule got a lot tougher. That's 80% of the malaise. The rest is Martin, who looks like he needs psychoanalysis. It's just growing pains.

Getting back to Casspi's comments on, "Kings needing a quality center." I have no problem with him stating his honest opinion. I assume Spencer Hawes does not have virgin ears and has heard exact same thing all over the place, including directly or indirectly from various teammates and coaches.

After all, right out of the gate this season he lost his starting job, so obviously Coach W was not real impressed by what he showed him in camp and pre-season. The REAL insult was losing his opening day starting job to Scott May:eek: Not long after May proved a total train wreck Hawes was back in the starting lineup, only to later land firmly in the Westphal doghouse. Clearly, something had to be done, some experiments at center had to happen. Brockman in, Hawes out. Armstrong picked up for nothing and maybe or maybe not playing like a nothing.

Yep, as soon as the Kings get "that quality big man," somehow, someway, things will really be off and running for the Kings as Casspi envisions.

While there is obviously more than a grain of truth to what Omri said, I honestly think that he should reconsider writing these columns. I know he doesn't want to lose touch with his fanbase in Israel, but he is a rookie and needs to focus on basketball. If something that accidentally slips out in these columns can get him in trouble with his teammates, his coaches, or the organization, then it's not worth it. He has to remember that in order to achieve his goals (and he has set very high goals for himself) his energy should be focused almost entirely on making himself a better basketball player and the Kings a better team.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I don't have a problem with what Omri said at all. This is pro sports, if you aren't producing, you're going to get called out. Its big business, and Spencer has hands down, been the biggest disappointment on the team this year.

This isn't Omri throwing Spencer under the bus. He didn't call him out by name. He didn't say anything negative. He was asked an honest question, and gave an honest answer. If you ask anyone what this team needs first and foremost, its a quality big. Its clear as day.

If Spencer doesn't like it, than he can attempt to become that quality center Omri is referring to. With Spencer it will start with effort. Thats my biggest concern with him. His inconsistent effert. Constantly failing to go after rebounds and being caught flat-footed. Missed shots happen. Offense will get easier as he matures as a player. His defensive rotations have left a lot to be desired, but again, I think that is something that will improve over time, as he matures. But rebounding is mostly effort. He needs to step it up in the hustle department. Thats where he can help this team immediatly, and this team really needs that. Spencers decline in rebounding, goes hand in hand with his decline in effort/enery, IMO. If Spencer just concentrated on rebounding, getting loose balls, and having more energy on the court, that would be a step up for him and a huge bonus for the team at this point.

Last edited:
The team sucks.. We probably wont get that big we want until next draft.

Thompson should be OK once he's paired with a REAL center.
The team does not suck. Last years team sucked. They are a young team and these slumps will happen until they play together awhile. Eveyone is ready to throw this team under the bus. Even with the current slide, they are still better then last years team by a mile.

The team does not suck. Last years team sucked. They are a young team and these slumps will happen until they play together awhile. Eveyone is ready to throw this team under the bus. Even with the current slide, they are still better then last years team by a mile.
Correct. This team does not suck. They are just gasping for air.;)