Duarte surpasses Red Velvet on the depth chart??

I understand the skepticism of Kevin Huerter heading into this season after his no-show in the playoffs and his general struggles last season. But I also wouldn't be too quick or rash on the decision-making around his starting spot. The actions that the Kings ran out of the DHO between Huerter and Sabonis was a kind of gravity unto itself. It was such a massive engine for the Kings' historically excellent offense. Subtracting that from the starting unit would have all kinds of potential downstream repercussions.

Huerter hit one three last night, then the next time he ran a DHO 3 defenders just amoeba'd there way towards him. I don't remember the result of the play, but that is a huge huge reason why he just needs to be close to average on D. He can't be getting lost beaten on multiple back doors in a row like he did. I fear he has a fairly short leash and it looks like he's place a bit scared. I hope he can shake that off.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand the skepticism of Kevin Huerter heading into this season after his no-show in the playoffs and his general struggles last season. But I also wouldn't be too quick or rash on the decision-making around his starting spot. The actions that the Kings ran out of the DHO between Huerter and Sabonis was a kind of gravity unto itself. It was such a massive engine for the Kings' historically excellent offense. Subtracting that from the starting unit would have all kinds of potential downstream repercussions.
Yeah, despite the built-in chemistry between Sabonis and Duarte, unless Chris can show that same level of proficiency in the DHO (even to just be a credible threat that spaces the floor) I can't see him supplanting Huerter unless K'von's shot continues to not be found.

But you take the good with the bad with Huerter. We saw this last season - he'd be an absolute flamethrower for stretches and then struggle for a few games/weeks.

Not sure if he’s taken his spot in depth chart, but Huerter continues to play like he did last night (and back to playoffs ) Duarte is going to cut into his minutes . He looked awful on both ends of the court
Yeah, if it continues, Brown will probably continue to start Huerter, but cut into his minutes and not finish with him. Come to think of it, did he really finish many games in the later half of last season?

Yeah, despite the built-in chemistry between Sabonis and Duarte, unless Chris can show that same level of proficiency in the DHO (even to just be a credible threat that spaces the floor) I can't see him supplanting Huerter unless K'von's shot continues to not be found.

But you take the good with the bad with Huerter. We saw this last season - he'd be an absolute flamethrower for stretches and then struggle for a few games/weeks.
And I’m pessimistic Duarte can show the same proficiency that Huerter has in the DHO game.
  • During the 2021-22 season (in ATL without Sabonis), Huerter had a 0.99 PPP during Handoffs (.678 percentile)
  • During the 2022-23 season (in SAC with Sabonis), Huerter had a 1.15 PPP during Handoffs (.839 percentile)
  • During the 2021-22 season (in IND with Sabonis), Duarte had a 0.78 PPP during Handoffs (.304 percentile)
  • During the 2022-23 season (in IND without Sabonis), Duarte had a 0.77 PPP during Handoffs (.243 percentile)

As you can see, Duarte’s PPP on handoffs didn’t really change whether it was with Sabonis or without. Obviously it’s not a cleanly controlled sample but it makes me question Duarte’s ability in the DHO game vs. someone like Huerter.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I’m pessimistic Duarte can show the same proficiency that Huerter has in the DHO game.
  • During the 2021-22 season (in ATL without Sabonis), Huerter had a 0.99 PPP during Handoffs (.678 percentile)
  • During the 2022-23 season (in SAC with Sabonis), Huerter had a 1.15 PPP during Handoffs (.839 percentile)
  • During the 2021-22 season (in IND with Sabonis), Duarte had a 0.78 PPP during Handoffs (.304 percentile)
  • During the 2022-23 season (in IND without Sabonis), Duarte had a 0.77 PPP during Handoffs (.243 percentile)

As you can see, Duarte’s PPP on handoffs didn’t really change whether it was with Sabonis or without. Obviously it’s not a cleanly controlled sample but it makes me question Duarte’s ability in the DHO game vs. someone like Huerter.
Not that I'm disagreeing with the overall conclusion, but I'd like to see the sample size of DHOs for Duarte in IND. When Sabonis was there they had him largely on the block with Turner at the elbow or above the arc, and after Sabonis left I don't remember them running much DHO at all.

Either way, that's clearly the hurdle for Duarte if he has eyes on a starting job. He already plays better defense, but he doesn't have the gravity or the secondary playmaking of Huerter.

But if he continues to struggle there's not just Duarte as an option, but also Monk or Colby Jones. It would be a shame to lose Monk's playmaking in the 2nd unit, but his chemistry with Fox is undeniable. But I think Jones may ultimately be the K'Von replacement.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Not that I'm disagreeing with the overall conclusion, but I'd like to see the sample size of DHOs for Duarte in IND. When Sabonis was there they had him largely on the block with Turner at the elbow or above the arc, and after Sabonis left I don't remember them running much DHO at all.

Either way, that's clearly the hurdle for Duarte if he has eyes on a starting job. He already plays better defense, but he doesn't have the gravity or the secondary playmaking of Huerter.

But if he continues to struggle there's not just Duarte as an option, but also Monk or Colby Jones. It would be a shame to lose Monk's playmaking in the 2nd unit, but his chemistry with Fox is undeniable. But I think Jones may ultimately be the K'Von replacement.

I'd like to see a big sample size for Duarte with SACTO. Same for Colby Jones. Huerter is really getting on my nerves with his unimpactful play that is a carry-over from the end of last season. Just watch the other team target him on offense. He's like a safety valve - when it doubt throw it to Heurter's man and have him go to work. If he's not scoring at a pretty good clip with 50% or better shooting Heurter is just occupying space on the floor.

If Duarte looks to be solid over the beginning stretch of the season and Jones continues to show out making Brown’s job difficult, I’m wondering if a trade like…

Kevin Huerter

for

Jonathan Isaac
2024 ORL 2nd

…would be something we’d be willing to take a calculated chance on. Meaning if our depth at SG is solid, it might be worth taking that home run swing at a player who would basically be an ideal fit at PF next to Sabonis.

If Duarte looks to be solid over the beginning stretch of the season and Jones continues to show out making Brown’s job difficult, I’m wondering if a trade like…

Kevin Huerter

for

Jonathan Isaac
2024 ORL 2nd

…would be something we’d be willing to take a calculated chance on. Meaning if our depth at SG is solid, it might be worth taking that home run swing at a player who would basically be an ideal fit at PF next to Sabonis.
I wouldn't do that trade unless Orlando sends a 1st round pick.

Huerter is still one of the elite shooters in the league and on a reasonable contract. No reason to be throwing him out the door unless we get something of proven value in return. Issac hasn't proven anything and is super injury prone, a first round pick coming back would be required in a trade like this.

isn’t even offsetting awful D with his offense at this point. Looks like a liability at both ends right now. Let’s hope he turns it around

Mike Brown's attempt to motivate Huerter by demoting him in preseason backfired. Instead, he lost confidence in his shot, and is pressing instead of relaxing and getting into the flow of the game. You have to be careful with flamethrowers, not to mess with their heads.

Mike Brown's attempt to motivate Huerter by demoting him in preseason backfired. Instead, he lost confidence in his shot, and is pressing instead of relaxing and getting into the flow of the game. You have to be careful with flamethrowers, not to mess with their heads.
Crumbling under pressure. Since the 3point contest last year.

Kevin Huerter

for

Jonathan Isaac
2024 ORL 2nd

People need to cool it on Duarte. He's been good in the preseason and game 1, but was worse than Huerter was last night. So if we're going to throw Huerter to the wolves on a small sample, Duarte has to be held to a similar standard

People need to cool it on Duarte. He's been good in the preseason and game 1, but was worse than Huerter was last night. So if we're going to throw Huerter to the wolves on a small sample, Duarte has to be held to a similar standard
I don’t think that’s what I was saying.

I was basically saying that if our unknowns (Duarte and Jones) look solid in the beginning of the season, we may have the luxury of moving Huerter from an upgrade elsewhere (regardless of whether Huerter is playing well to start the season).

I know Huerter is a solid player in this league (and these past games don’t change that fact), but I’d be fooling myself if I didn’t admit that I’m constantly looking for ways to improve the team. And if our depth at SG (and that’s a definitive “if” right now) allows us to upgrade another need, I’m all for it.

I think what hasn't been said is that his teammates (such as Fox and Sabonis) are looking/passing to other teammates. This impacts the overall spacing that is needed for our offense.

One example was Huerter on the wing and Sabonis passed to Barnes who had better coverage. While I can't remember a specific example for Fox it seemed as though Fox didn't look for him as much as other teammates. Of course when he was WIDE open with his arms raises he was fed the ball.

his offense looks about on par with our current sg production but he was miles ahead on the defensive end. He was getting into the space of anyone he was defending.

Huerter coming off the bench seem to be a better fit. He doesn't have to guard the starter of the other team which is tough. And he still get to play with Sabonis before the end of the 1st Half cuz Fox will take a breather before Sabonis. When you start Duarte, team is not looking to attack Duarte as oppose to Huerter. They know Duarte is a better defender with better size. Now, you may argue there may be a drop off in scoring on the offensive end? I don't see it ...if anything, Fox and Murray get to shoot more. They already proven they can score 30 plus pts per quarter even with Huerter struggling.

If your SG is going to get 5-6 shots a game, that player has to be providing something other than offense. It's just the way it is. Give any offensive player this much offense and when they're out of sync those funks will last longer and every defensive shortcoming will be magnified.