Drew Gooden anyone???

Cavs, Gooden Negotiations Breaking Down14th July, 2006 - 4:29 am
The Morning Journal - Talks between Drew Gooden's agent, Calvin Andrews, and the Cavaliers have started to break down, the Morning Journal is reporting, and there is a chance the parties may separate.

''We're trying to see if any sign-and-trades work,'' Andrews said. ''We are trying to exhaust every avenue. We're working through some different things.''

The Cavaliers told Andrews to be patient while they were working on LeBron James' three-year contract extension. Now, it's Gooden's turn, and apparently he's the main focus of their attention.

The 6-foot-10, 242-pounder is a restricted free agent. He wants to remain in Cleveland. Andrews said a sign-and-trade might be the answer.

''I think it's a very feasible route,'' he said.

''They have not made an offer yet,'' Andrews said. ''Maybe they are holding out on something. We're being patient and working with them. We respect what they're trying to do. We'll follow their lead.

''They can make an offer he likes. That's what he would prefer. Drew wants to stay in Cleveland. If they make an offer that makes sense, we'll do it. If a sign-and-trade makes more sense, we'll do that. We're not ready to hit the panic button.''

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41514/20060714/cavs_gooden_negotiations_breaking_down/

I'd rather we go after other guys before Gooden, I wouldn't really mind if we got him, but can we for the MLE? I don't think he's looking for the MLE. I'd rather we use part of the MLE to get a back-up C and trade for a PF like Etan Thomas. Which is the most realistic KT trade scenario out there.

I think he'll ultimately stay with the Cavs or go to the Wizards.

The only way to get him would be through a sign and trade with Cleveland. KT and Hart may not be that far off. Cleveland needs some help up front should they rid themselves of Gooden and they also need some depth at PG.

Eric Snow/D-Jones/Brown/Gibson are their small guards right now. Brown will be a regular player. Their also high on Gibson because of his defense and shooting.

For Kenny Thomas and Hart. lol That's my answer for every scenario.

I was actually thinking that realistically. IDK why Cleveland would want Thomas, but they might be desperate for a replacement at PF and not see Gooden walk for free. Gooden has a $5.3 mil qualifying offer according to hoopshype and is probably looking for a raise. Thomas is making 6.7 mil next year, meaning we can pay him anything he wants in a trade (not that we would). The key here is that we can pay Gooden a lot for say, 2 years. That way he gets a bigger contract with the opportunity for more in the future (team options- maybe he actually becomes a really good player). He's younger than Thomas, more "moveable" than Thomas, and has a higher ceiling on his potential. Cleveland really should be desperate not to leave any wholes at key positions, so they might just take an offer like KT + a 2nd rounder or cash (which would be worth it to cut down the years we owe to bad contracts.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No answer there -- 6'8" + softish on defense, right at the same size + level as the guys we already have. Not sure what it would accomplish.

I like Gooden as a rebounder, athlete, but is not really a shotblocker, not sure about his post-defense, and is above average offensively. Seems inconsistent though.

Still split on him, and would prefer what I mentioned before.

I heard he wants a deal like Nene's. If he does, he may be rather disappointed.

I like him, but as Brick said, he doesn't really do anything better than the guys we have already. For the MLE? If that was even a possibility I would do it in a second. Much like Reef is now, that is a complete bargain and is a very nice asset in later trades.

I bet the Bulls get him... just saw on the Bulls RGM board discussing him as a possibility. Paxson did indeed say he still is gonna make another move or two. He'd give them offense in the front-court, still wouldn't be good, but it would definitely add something. Along with rebounding and Ben/PJ/Tyrus to mask his lack of size, shotblocking, iffy defense.

Wouldn't be too surprised if they did a S/T with Duhon/Sweetney. As the Cavs did indeed want Duhon last season.

Last edited:
A guy like that could get us 10-10 pretty easy with a block. We don't really need a ton of scoring from that position if we have Miller at center.

I also would like Etan as a backup but Gooden would be a better pickup.

Last edited:
Along with Shareef off the bench... but we don't need scoring, we need interior defense. Drew doesn't bring that outside of rebounding. If we needed rebounding, just go get Reggie Evans or keep KT maybe.

Rather than throw the MLE at Drew Gooden (which is not what he's looking for), I'd rather we spend part of the MLE on a big like Wright/Cato/Kandi for back-up center. All three can defend in the post, have good size, can block shots, good rebounders, and are a presence in the paint. Wright having the best offense out of them all. About Olowokandi, say what you want about him, but he's a decent option for back-up C, and is, indeed, one of our possible realities at back-up center.

I'd take any one of them over Vitaly Potapenko, behind Brad Miller.

Last edited:
Not sure about Woods, I haven't seen much of him, and don't think he's proven much, if anything. Definitely big and long though, just slight.

Who knows if it'd even get to Olowokandi anyways.

alright, it may just be me.. but I would NOT mind having Gooden in a Kings uni. At this point, it certainly would not hurt. Crucify me if I am wrong.

I'd rather explore other, more fitting moves before going after Gooden.

Gooden simply isn't realistic for us unless he settles for the MLE, which I doubt he does. Cavs probably don't want Kenny Thomas, and giving Bonzi for him is just ridiculous and wouldn't work because Larry Hughes and Shannon Brown are there.

I'd rather explore other, more fitting moves before going after Gooden.

Gooden simply isn't realistic for us unless he settles for the MLE, which I doubt he does. Cavs probably don't want Kenny Thomas, and giving Bonzi for him is just ridiculous and wouldn't work because Larry Hughes and Shannon Brown are there.

I agree with you, 113. I don't really wanna give Bonzi up, that has ALWAYS been my position. All I am saying is, if we HAVE to give up Bonzi, Drew Gooden for some reason would not be a HORRIBLE decision in this curren lineup. I mean, honestly, could we not use his rebounding, touchness and reliabilty? Sorry, but I believe so, despite his flaws.

Thing is, Bonzi to Cleveland isn't realistic or a fit because of Larry Hughes already being there. Shannon Brown will play right away at SG and PG, he was a steal at 25 or 24, and was supposed to go much higher.

If we want rebounding and toughness, we should just go get Reggie Evans or maybe keep KT. But, we'll get that with Etan Thomas and a new back-up C, along with an interior presence, shotblocking (likely), rebounding, post-defense, good size.

Along with the aforementioned, Gooden isn't really a post-defender or a shotblocker, and is a bit undersized.

Last edited:
I'd rather we go after other guys before Gooden, I wouldn't really mind if we got him, but can we for the MLE? I don't think he's looking for the MLE. I'd rather we use part of the MLE to get a back-up C and trade for a PF like Etan Thomas. Which is the most realistic KT trade scenario out there.

I think he'll ultimately stay with the Cavs or go to the Wizards.

AMEN! For KT, obviously. Gooden is good, but not the shotblocking presence we need. Long stroy short, like KG (poster, not the player), I'll take him, but let's not see him as any type of savior.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I agree with you, 113. I don't really wanna give Bonzi up, that has ALWAYS been my position. All I am saying is, if we HAVE to give up Bonzi, Drew Gooden for some reason would not be a HORRIBLE decision in this curren lineup. I mean, honestly, could we not use his rebounding, touchness and reliabilty? Sorry, but I believe so, despite his flaws.
Drew Gooden provides nothing the guys we already have do not. He's actually more soft than tough, is small, and has repeated questions raised about his defense and BBall I.Q. He's another low level starter that got dropped to platoon status in the playoffs. That doesn't help us.