DRAFT EVE TRADE MADNESS: Nets trade Mikal Bridges to the Knicks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
5 first round picks?! I like Mikal Bridges but that's one more pick than the Nets sold Kevin Durant for. I am enjoying the Knicks actually being relevant again though after 3 straight decades of scuffling. That feels like a good development for the NBA.

Do the Knicks like not want to ever partake in draft day festivities ever again???

I mean, I kinda see why they did it, but...

I don't think even Vlade would've been so dumb as to give up FIVE first round picks.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Vlade drafted the "other guy", and some random Greek dude...:p:p:p

Do the Knicks like not want to ever partake in draft day festivities ever again???

I mean, I kinda see why they did it, but...

I don't think even Vlade would've been so dumb as to give up FIVE first round picks.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Vlade drafted the "other guy", and some random Greek dude...:p:p:p
to be fair, they still have like 4 tradable first rounders and can likely get more for Randle and Mitchell Robinson if they decide to trade them.

to be fair, they still have like 4 tradable first rounders and can likely get more for Randle and Mitchell Robinson if they decide to trade them.
That's exactly it. It's not like teams are trading these picks for no talent role guys. Maybe that Gobert trade will hurt. But if the Suns blow it up, they'll get all their picks back and probably more from someone else. Same with the Knicks. Same with the Mavs.

Cam Johnson, absolutely. DFS, hell no. He hasn't been good since the 2021-22 season and he's 31. I'd trade a pair of seconds to take a flyer but definitely not 13.
I wouldn't trade 13 for either. Solid additions but role players. Keep 13 and draft Da Silva if they want someone like Cam Johnson.

I wouldn't trade 13 for either. Solid additions but role players. Keep 13 and draft Da Silva if they want someone like Cam Johnson.
You really wouldn't trade 13 for Cam Johnson? No brainer for me. I have Da Silva's ceiling being something like Cam Johnson. At least if you trade for Cam Johnson, you are guaranteed to get Cam Johnson lol

You really wouldn't trade 13 for Cam Johnson? No brainer for me. I have Da Silva's ceiling being something like Cam Johnson. At least if you trade for Cam Johnson, you are guaranteed to get Cam Johnson lol
Well, in that deal the Kings would know if Da Silva is at 13 since they'll have to make the pick regardless but nope, I wouldn't at this point unless all other better deals fell through. It's not a terrible deal but Johnson isn't really an upgrade to Barnes at this point and doesn't bring much of anything the Kings need. I can see Kuzma over him since Kuzma would help the downturn in transition play and bring athletic ability.

Well, in that deal the Kings would know if Da Silva is at 13 since they'll have to make the pick regardless but nope, I wouldn't at this point unless all other better deals fell through. It's not a terrible deal but Johnson isn't really an upgrade to Barnes at this point and doesn't bring much of anything the Kings need. I can see Kuzma over him since Kuzma would help the downturn in transition play and bring athletic ability.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I have Cam Johnson better than Barnes when it comes to most metrics. I think he's quite a bit better and Barnes is most likely only to get worse from his slightly below average play last year. The kicker would be that Keegan would have to slide to the 4 if they started Cam but in this scenario, Barnes is still on the roster so Cam could come off the bench and play Monk type minutes with Barnes' minutes dropping unless he has to guard a particular matchup.

To me, transition play is one of the least important parts of the game. Nearly every player in the NBA is good in transition other than Buddy Hield. The vast majority of the game is played in the half court so I'm looking for guys that are above average in the half court and if their transition game is average, that's fine because there aren't many transition opportunities and nearly every player takes advantage of them at a very high percentage when they're available.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this was the right time to make this move for the Nets. Start a complete, full rebuild, Philly process style. Sell high on your best talent and just accumulate draft picks like the OKC East. I wonder if they keep Randle after this move, he'd be an interesting target for the Kings.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I have Cam Johnson better than Barnes when it comes to most metrics. I think he's quite a bit better and Barnes is most likely only to get worse from his slightly below average play last year. The kicker would be that Keegan would have to slide to the 4 if they started Cam but in this scenario, Barnes is still on the roster so Cam could come off the bench and play Monk type minutes with Barnes' minutes dropping unless he has to guard a particular matchup.

To me, transition play is one of the least important parts of the game. Nearly every player in the NBA is good in transition other than Buddy Hield. The vast majority of the game is played in the half court so I'm looking for guys that are above average in the half court and if their transition game is average, that's fine because there aren't many transition opportunities and nearly every player takes advantage of them at a very high percentage when they're available.
He might be but 13th better I do disagree.

I agree about transition play but it's still something the Kings don't have so I can at least see some merit to it.

Knicks/OKC seem like obvious trade partners Robinson and Randle would fit OKC plus the Knicks could recoup some of there picks/clear space and pick up a young player Assuming healthy Robinson (so they can resign Isaiah) and Chet is a pretty sweet PF/C combo

Sheesh. The KD/Harden package, more or less.

I mean, I get why they're doing it, but that's a hell of a price to pay.
I don't offer this if I'm the Kings though. 5 FRP for Mikal???.
I absolutely love the player, but that’s an insane amount of draft assets to surrender for a player that’s not an elite superstar. He’s a really, really good 2-way player that plays every single game, every single season. But he’s not KD, Steph, #77, Jokic, Kawhi, or Embiid in their primes.

I’ve been following the NBA for a long, long time now. Until this decade, I really don’t recall franchises surrendering 3-5 FRP’s so consistently as seemingly happens today. Talk about “going all in”.

Well, you can call me a hater if you want, but considering that I’m not a Knicks fan I’ll find it hilarious to see this move fail somehow and that franchise have no draft path forward for the next decade. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Phoenix’ recent all-in flame out in the first round this past season and am still hopeful the wheels fall off completely sometime soon.

I root for one team and one team only. The rest can go kick rocks. :)

As much as I really love the player, I’m glad it wasn’t the KINGS that was able to trade all that capital. Now, if Vivek, D'Alessandro, or Vlade were still making GM draft decisions for the franchise — I’d almost not care about all those draft picks. But with a competent GM in charge, that’s way too much.

I absolutely love the player, but that’s an insane amount of draft assets to surrender for a player that’s not an elite superstar. He’s a really, really good 2-way player that plays every single game, every single season. But he’s not KD, Steph, #77, Jokic, Kawhi, or Embiid in their primes.

I’ve been following the NBA for a long, long time now. Until this decade, I really don’t recall franchises surrendering 3-5 FRP’s so consistently as seemingly happens today. Talk about “going all in”.

Well, you can call me a hater if you want, but considering that I’m not a Knicks fan I’ll find it hilarious to see this move fail somehow and that franchise have no draft path forward for the next decade. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Phoenix’ recent all-in flame out in the first round this past season and am still hopeful the wheels fall off completely sometime soon.

I root for one team and one team only. The rest can go kick rocks. :)

As much as I really love the player, I’m glad it wasn’t the KINGS that was able to trade all that capital. Now, if Vivek, D'Alessandro, or Vlade were still making GM draft decisions for the franchise — I’d almost not care about all those draft picks. But with a competent GM in charge, that’s way too much.
I think part of it is teams are realizing that picks aren't actually worth gold. They never have been. And if you have talent and need to rebuild as long as the trend keeps going you'll probably get most of them back anyway. Fans always makes like ground breaking trades for picks that teams sometimes just buy or take on dead salary for. For a team like the Suns it's probably more of a gamble to send out picks that far. I'd say it's pretty safe odds the Knicks expect most of those picks to be pretty darn deep in the first round.

I think part of it is teams are realizing that picks aren't actually worth gold. They never have been. And if you have talent and need to rebuild as long as the trend keeps going you'll probably get most of them back anyway. Fans always makes like ground breaking trades for picks that teams sometimes just buy or take on dead salary for. For a team like the Suns it's probably more of a gamble to send out picks that far. I'd say it's pretty safe odds the Knicks expect most of those picks to be pretty darn deep in the first round.
Plus it’s a bit of a circle of life deal….you throw in the draft capital to get the player. Then you sell the player later when your run is over for another teams draft capital.

Plus it’s a bit of a circle of life deal….you throw in the draft capital to get the player. Then you sell the player later when your run is over for another teams draft capital.
Yeah, and the Knicks likely didn't throw all of that out in a trade because they felt Bridges was just worth it, it was the fact that they may have ended up with a team that can win a ring in the next few seasons. They had picks specifically saved up for this.

While I don't think Bridges is good enough to warrant the return it makes sense since he's in his prime/has elite skills and it's the East if that squad was in the West i don't see them as a threat but in the East yeah you have to go for it you would have to be crazy not to go for it in the East (Miami should have gone for it a long time ago with Butler needing help).

I think part of it is teams are realizing that picks aren't actually worth gold. They never have been.
That's just not true. How the hell do you think Mikal Bridges was first acquired? Through a draft pick you say isn't worth gold. How about Jokić? Giannis??? Kobe??? And every player that's ever played (that wasn't undrafted)???

While I agree with you that drafting toward the end of round 1 doesn't have as high odds of success, there are still only two rounds and lots of good even great players are taken outside the lottery and into the 2nd round.

Further, building through the draft is much, much less costly on the salary cap and it comes with a decent sized window of opportunity to add via free agency when rookie contracts are still in play.

For teams like the Suns and now NY Knicks, if something unexpected occurs to one or more of their players -- they have little opportunity to recover. For a long time at that. Free agency is too expensive to rebuild, unless you are lucky and can get 2-3 players to take less to play together (e.g., Miami 2010).

And, again, we aren't talking KD or Kawhi Leonard in their primes here. Mikal Bridges isn't a player that should be commanding 5 FRP's + a 1st round swap. That's ludicrous. It's as if the GM's running these teams nowadays graduated from the fantasy ranks.

Yeah, IF the assets are still worth anything close to what you paid for them. Usually when the team that drastically overpaid for the player(s) are ready to sell them -- there's a reason for it. They aren't near as good anymore and/or are considered cost prohibitive wrt their production.

Status
Not open for further replies.