Draft Day!

Who will the Kings pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
So, draft chat has become a little unwieldy.
Depending on which website you check, these seem to be (absent a Haliburton-esque fall) players the Kings could pick with the #13 pick.

The question is:
Who do you think the Kings will pick?

Note: this is not WHO YOU WANT, but, after the smoke clears, who do you think they pick? I went above and below (ish) the #13 pick based on consensus, not need. If you think the pick isn't listed, feel free to comment.

Since the question is who I think the Kings WILL pick, and not who I want, I think it will likely be one of:

Tristan da Silva
Zach Edey

I went with da Silva.

As for who I WANT to draft, I would be happy with Holland, Topic, Salaun, Carter, Carrington or Dillingham. I really like Filipowski as a second round prospect too.

Da Silva, Edey, Holmes and Filipowski are all guys I think McNair would value very highly on his board based on previous drafts. If Holland is there, I think he'll be in serious consideration for us too. Carter 100% would be high on our board if he lasts.

My pick went Da Silva. Everything about him screams a Monte selection.

Last edited:
My post was at least pertinent to the conversation and topic and didn't require a jab.

Since the question is who I think the Kings WILL pick, and not who I want, I think it will likely be one of:

Tristan da Silva
Zach Edey

I went with da Silva.

As for who I WANT to draft, I would be happy with Holland, Topic, Salaun, Carter, Carrington or Dillingham. I really like Filipowski as a second round prospect too.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

Tristan da Silva
Zach Edey

I went with da Silva.

I figured we've been talking a lot about who we WANT, so maybe a thread on predictions would be fun, before we do our annual draft day / dday no spoilers threads.

I think Da Silva is probably the conservative call by Monte. He seems to want NBA ready players, regardless of fit...mostly.

My best guess is Edey. He is 4th on the analytical model that our front office allegedly most lines up with. Monte bets on maybe the best 48 minutes at center in the league. He trades future capital for an upgrade at the 4.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Man, I have no idea who Monte and co. might like this year. Looking at the mock drafts, it doesn't seem like anybody else does either. Everyone had us taking a guard until Monk got re-signed. There's fit related arguments for taking an upperclassman, a big, or a wing but we've seen Monte take 2 PGs back to back when he already had Fox so I believe he's truly going to take the highest rated talent on his board regardless of fit.

I certainly hope the pick is Ron Holland. There's about 20 other names that could be called at #13 who wouldn't surprise me. For the sake of throwing a dart at the board though, I'm just going to go with the guy I want at #13 since he seems to be in that range now. He also torched our G-League squad all 4 times he played them this season so we certainly should have enough game tape on him outclassing all of our other developmental guys. It felt good nailing the Keegan Murray pick 2 years ago so here's hoping lightning strikes twice!

My best guess is Edey. He is 4th on the analytical model that our front office allegedly most lines up with. Monte bets on maybe the best 48 minutes at center in the league. He trades future capital for an upgrade at the 4.
If you squint, you could understand the Edey pick.

No, it's not going to work with Domas, but maybe you find spots together where they could share the floor. It's not like Domas has NO experience at the 4, he spent basically all his career there prior to Sac. But there's also a case to be made where getting a premium back-up, like an Edey, helps protect Domas's workload. Like the dude was 2nd in the NBA in total minutes last year, 11th in MPG after being 6th in total minutes the year prior. Dude is an absolute Ox, but you can't tell me shaving off 400-500 minutes off Domas's total workload wouldn't help him be more fresh come playoff time. And my god, if he actually gets hurt? We're beyond screwed. Regardless if it's Edey or not, we have to find a way to protect his workload far better than we have the last 2 seasons. It's just asking for him to get hurt.

It's a bit of a "safer" route and he's certainly the guy at 13 (who's most likely to be there) that will be able to contribute to wins right away. Just don't see a giant ceiling (no pun intended) with him as our pick.

If you squint, you could understand the Edey pick.

No, it's not going to work with Domas, but maybe you find spots together where they could share the floor. It's not like Domas has NO experience at the 4, he spent basically all his career there prior to Sac. But there's also a case to be made where getting a premium back-up, like an Edey, helps protect Domas's workload. Like the dude was 2nd in the NBA in total minutes last year, 11th in MPG after being 6th in total minutes the year prior. Dude is an absolute Ox, but you can't tell me shaving off 400-500 minutes off Domas's total workload wouldn't help him be more fresh come playoff time. And my god, if he actually gets hurt? We're beyond screwed. Regardless if it's Edey or not, we have to find a way to protect his workload far better than we have the last 2 seasons. It's just asking for him to get hurt.

It's a bit of a "safer" route and he's certainly the guy at 13 (who's most likely to be there) that will be able to contribute to wins right away. Just don't see a giant ceiling (no pun intended) with him as our pick.
I was watching a Carmichael Dave podcast and he said someone in the organization had told him last year that the Kings view Domas more as a 4, than a 5. Dave said he could see the Kings taking Edey and moving Domas to the 4.

Here is Dave’s podcast:

https://sactownsports.com/youtube_videos/video-should-the-sacramento-kings-draft-zach-edey/

Last edited: