Doug Christie

He's getting better but he's got a long way to go. Certainly there are several worse color commentators around the league than Doug but there are better as well.

I think eventually he'll settle in and settle down a little too.

i like that fact that he is current and can still call out defensive plays and what should and is happening in the game. Jerry had no clue what was going on inside the game. He just added names bogi being at his bogieriffic best hippity hop
HAHA I could hear him saying that

A good announcer. I like his enthusiasm and understanding of how pro bball is played.
He is geeky at times, but in about a year he will be better.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I do learn things from Christie, and to me that's the greatest complement I can give a basketball TV analyst. Also, I can just tell from listening to him on the radio that he applies the same work ethic to his analyst position as he did as an NBA player. He's going to get much better with time, imo.
One of the best color commentators I ever heard in basketball, and it was only college basketball was Bobby Knight. He was a straight shooter who pulled no punches, but gave great insight to mistakes that were being made, and what should have been done. I think I learned more from him on how to play defense than anyone else I ever listened to.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
One of the best color commentators I ever heard in basketball, and it was only college basketball was Bobby Knight. He was a straight shooter who pulled no punches, but gave great insight to mistakes that were being made, and what should have been done. I think I learned more from him on how to play defense than anyone else I ever listened to.
For a very brief time after he retired as coach of the UCLA Bruins, John Wooden was a TV analyst. Talk about insightful. Holy moly. They would replay a basketball play during the game and coach would show who should have done what, where, and why. He could really "see" the game, especially the passes that should have been made.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
One thing I love about Doug is that as a former All-Defensive team savant, he's able to identify offensive player tells during a game and talk about defensive concepts that Jerry either couldn't or had no interest in going into.

Sure sometimes he can get a little enthusiastic and goofy but he's genuinely trying hard to develop as a color analyst while remaining a King at heart (he's not a Tommy Heinsohn level homer by any means but he's probably less impartial than Jerry was).

One thing I love about Doug is that as a former All-Defensive team savant, he's able to identify offensive player tells during a game and talk about defensive concepts that Jerry either couldn't or had no interest in going into.

Sure sometimes he can get a little enthusiastic and goofy but he's genuinely trying hard to develop as a color analyst while remaining a King at heart (he's not a Tommy Heinsohn level homer by any means but he's probably less impartial than Jerry was).
Great analysis. Doug is also finding his way with GRANT and likely doesn't want to ruffle any feathers or step on toes. He's careful not to upstage Grant. That will ease up a bit when their styles mesh even more.

Ok so when you're talking about the team chemistry of the ANNOUNCER TEAM... is that like "You know you're a homer when..." lol!!

Doug Christie improved a lot in his color commentator role next to Napear this year in FT role over last season PT duties. I could do without reflexively needing to start nearly every comment with "Grant,,,,..." I had over/under earlier this season 35 times "Grant" per broadcast but now maybe only 25 - progress :) Bottom line, Christie finally seems totally relaxed in his role allowing expert in game analysis to come to the fore which is what I need to hear. Much more important than just whooping up excitement with Napear (he does plenty!) on Kings big play or sometimes going overboard on some near big play. I never had problem with JR and now he's just fine pre-game and post-game plus color on a few games. Go Doug! Go Kings!

Last edited: