Domas playing for Team Lithuania 2024

JV is with the team, training and getting ready. He couldn't play in the qualification tournament in Puerto Rico, which will start tomorrow cause he was not under the contract with any team, but if LT qualifies (we are 50+% favorites to come out from this set), JV will join the team for the main event.
LT team is loaded in all positions. Even JV absence is not a big deal. Domas and Motiejunas (he had one of the best years with the Monaco in France) have enough size, skills and experience. Plus I'm pretty high on young PF Ąžuolas Tūbelis. He is very efficient, high motor, strong, tough. LT frontline is very solid (Domas alone is enough to make any frontline one of the best even by himself alone ;) ). PGs, SGs, SFs - that's a scorching scorers, with everyone shooting around 40% on their threes,. LT basketball school is one of the best since 1937 (that year we won first Euro gold, repeated with gold in 1939). Probably the best trade mark of LT bball school - move the ball, move the players. If a player on the court has the chance to make a shot - he'll take it. If not - he will try to make the best pass. One of the best example - 1st quarter against USA in the last world cup. LT made 8/8 of the thres to start and all the makes were completely uncontested.
Needless to say that all Lithuanians around the world next couple weeks will be on the edge. If we won't make to the Olympics - I know for sure that alcohol drinks consumption in Lithuania will increase by at least a third till the end of this month. If we make to Paris - increased consumption will be observed till the end of August. We have a bad habit. ~90% of Lithuanians around the world watch national Team play and when we watch - we tend to harm our health by consuming everything that has alcohol content in it. When the process begin - it's a run away train. No sober days until 2-3 weeks after the tournaments are over. No matter the result. We win - let's celebrate! We bleep up - drown the sorrow and wait the next things to come :) Livers and kidneys work overtime non-stop ;)
BTW, I was VERY surprised that JV signed a 3 years 30 mil $$$ contract with Washington Wizards. It was an unexpected choice, contract is at 70%-80% of JV's market value. I think JV just wanted to get that restriction that didn't allow him play for LT out of the way as soon as possible. No need to get sentimental, but that's a true patriot.
Domas is a patriot and a loyal guy too. Kings fans can be relaxed because when the negotiations will begin about Domas new contract with the Kings - he will definitely not squeeze every little penny possible.

Last edited:
JV is with the team, training and getting ready. He couldn't play in the qualification tournament in Puerto Rico, which will start tomorrow cause he was not under the contract with any team, but if LT qualifies (we are 50+% favorites to come out from this set), JV will join the team for the main event.
LT team is loaded in all positions. Even JV absence is not a big deal. Domas and Motiejunas (he had one of the best years with the Monaco in France) have enough size, skills and experience. Plus I'm pretty high on young PF Ąžuolas Tūbelis. He is very efficient, high motor, strong, tough. LT frontline is very solid (Domas alone is enough to make any frontline one of the best even by himself alone ;) ). PGs, SGs, SFs - that's a scorching scorers, with everyone shooting around 40%. LT basketball school is one of the best since 1937 (that year we won first Euro gold, repeated with gold in 1939).
Needless to say that all Lithuanians around the world next couple weeks will be on the edge. If we won't make to the Olympics - I know for sure that alcohol drinks consumption in Lithuania will increase by at least a third till the end of this month. If we make to Paris - increased consumption will be observed till the end of August. We have a bad habit. ~90% of Lithuanians around the world watch national Team play and when we watch - we tend to harm our health by consuming everything that has alcohol content in it. When the process begin - it's a run away train. No sober days until 2-3 weeks after the tournaments are over. No matter the result. We won - let's celebrate! we bleeped up - drown the sorrow and wait the next things to come :) Livers and kinds work overtime non-stop ;)
BTW, I was VERY surprised that JV signed a 3 years 30 mil $$$ contract with Washington Wizards. It was an unexpected choice, contract is at 70%-80% of JV's market value. I think JV just wanted to get that restriction that didn't allow him play for LT as soon as possible. No need to get sentimental, but that's a true patriot.
Domas is a patriot and a loyal guy too. kings fans can be relaxed because when the negotiations will begin about Domas new contract with the Kings - he will definitely not squeeze every little penny possible.
Thanks for the LT news, good stuff. Looking forward to watching Domas play in the Olympics from the US.

Thanks for the LT news, good stuff. Looking forward to watching Domas play in the Olympics from the US.
Games could be watched on some "unoficial" streams, through LT sources (though in LT language) or - sign up with FIBA. I'll choose FIBA. To watch other matches, watch replays and etc.

LT team is loaded in all positions. Even JV absence is not a big deal. Domas and Motiejunas (he had one of the best years with the Monaco in France) have enough size, skills and experience. Plus I'm pretty high on young PF Ąžuolas Tūbelis. He is very efficient, high motor, strong, tough. LT frontline is very solid (Domas alone is enough to make any frontline one of the best even by himself alone ;) ). PGs, SGs, SFs - that's a scorching scorers, with everyone shooting around 40% on their threes,. LT basketball school is one of the best since 1937 (that year we won first Euro gold, repeated with gold in 1939). Probably the best trade mark of LT bball school - move the ball, move the players. If a player on the court has the chance to make a shot - he'll take it. If not - he will try to make the best pass. One of the best example - 1st quarter against USA in the last world cup. LT made 8/8 of the thres to start and all the makes were completely uncontested.
Needless to say that all Lithuanians around the world next couple weeks will be on the edge. If we won't make to the Olympics - I know for sure that alcohol drinks consumption in Lithuania will increase by at least a third till the end of this month. If we make to Paris - increased consumption will be observed till the end of August. We have a bad habit. ~90% of Lithuanians around the world watch national Team play and when we watch - we tend to harm our health by consuming everything that has alcohol content in it. When the process begin - it's a run away train. No sober days until 2-3 weeks after the tournaments are over. No matter the result. We win - let's celebrate! We bleep up - drown the sorrow and wait the next things to come :) Livers and kidneys work overtime non-stop ;)
BTW, I was VERY surprised that JV signed a 3 years 30 mil $$$ contract with Washington Wizards. It was an unexpected choice, contract is at 70%-80% of JV's market value. I think JV just wanted to get that restriction that didn't allow him play for LT out of the way as soon as possible. No need to get sentimental, but that's a true patriot.
Domas is a patriot and a loyal guy too. Kings fans can be relaxed because when the negotiations will begin about Domas new contract with the Kings - he will definitely not squeeze every little penny possible.
Domas already got an extension at the end of last year.

Easy win for Lithuania vs Mexico, next opponent will be Ivory Coast that they should also win quite easily but then will be harder in semis and final facing Italy and Puerto Rico (the tournament host).
I think Lithuanian coach had told that Domas will have a similar role with the one has in the Kings this "point center" creating chances for his teammates, unlike the previous times with NT that he used to play at "4" with JV present. He did have a double/double with 12pts and 11rebs in 25' but only 1 assist and 5 turnovers so perhaps he hasn't taken that role already, perhaps saving it for harder matches.

So far everything is OK.
W against Mexico. LTU started falling behind 0-9. First basket by LTU was after Domas offensive rebound and a dunk. So, 0-9 developed into 76-51, 83-61 after 3.
Game against CIV was a weird one. First 2 qs LTU was more or less in control. CIV finished 1 q with the buzzer beater tough 2, just to add another buzzer beater in the second - banked three pointer (well defended). Second half was "interesting", luckily LTU finished the game with 11-3 run, winning 97-93. Sure, when Domas tied the game 90-90, as usual, he missed and-1. 4/6 from the line against CIV. Against Mexico Domas didn't have a single FT attempt.
LTU's must do in Puerto Rico is to win all 4 games and book a ticket to Paris.
So far I see 2 things that bother LTU team.
First - Lithuanians came from farthest East. Both first games LTU played at 3:30 AM Lithuanian time zone time. Acclimatization is a b*tch - everybody knows.
Second - reffing. Reffing is not biased, just not very professional. In first game against Mexico LTU was 7/9 from line (Domas 0/0), MEX - 12/16. Both teams shot 25 free throws combined. Second game against CIV. CIV was 29/38 from the line, LTU 26-31. Both teams combined for 69 FTAs!!! Nuts. Almost 3 times more FTAs than in the first game. One ref was from France, another - from Lebanon, third from Australia. Needless to say that if the game is chopped like this, with constant delays shooting free throws - it's pretty difficult to get into any kind of rhythm.
Well, LTU is resting today. Good thing. Next game - win or go home.
One more thing with the regards to LTU. I stated prior that JV's absence in Puerto Rico is not a big deal. In yesterday's game JV would be a big help. How things will be in LTU's next game? We'll see. Shooting wise LTU is good from everywhere except threes. 11/31 against Mexico, 7/21 against CIV - that's not normal.
I think that after 2 games LTU now is more used to play in different time zone. As for the rest - make shots and play D. Simple ;)

LTU - ITA 88-64. Confident, well executed W.
Today is the day. In Europe, people of Southern countries (Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia...) are more emotional. That applies to Mexico, Puerto Rico. Bball players feed off from their own good play, fans in the stands. Important thing for the LTU in our last game - keep things under control.
First 2 games had some ups and downs, against the ITA we didn't have any downs. Grade for the game - A from me.
Domas' ankle is not at 100%. Coaches look closely to his usage. Even if Domas plays 20+ minutes, he is still very needed, efficient and effective.
LTU was 12/30 from the distance against ITA. Much better than in first 2 games. We still make stupid TOs though.
One game. Move the ball, play D, rebound the ball. Don't get shocked and be cool if Puerto Rico will make 3-4 three pointers in a row. What else? Hmmm, it's early Sunday in Chicago, pretty warm outside. Time to pop up some cool-aid ;) Nobody likes waiting :)

Domas is out of the Olympics, not going so well this year when facing Alvarado's club or nation (Alvarado was MVP of the tournament btw), Sabonis wasn't even named in the best lineup, Grigonis was the one from Lietuva standing out. He had a good season (with many trophies) for Panathinaikos his club in Greece. I think Domas was never granted to have a similar role like the one he had at the Kings despite Valanciunas absence that could have made that possible. At least he will get a chance to rest a bit after quite a heavy season and come back stronger for the upcoming one.

Duarte is out of the Olympics too, but out of the Kings as well, so the only representative will be Lyles who seems that will be in the final 12 roster of Canada according to Mark Jones. Canada is in the "group of death" along with Australia, Spain and Greece, but I don't see how Canada won't finish first in that group. Still there is no "punching bag" like the other groups that have South Sudan and Japan.

I guess by 27th of the month that the basketball matches will begin there will be a thread to write comments.

Btw if Lithuania had made it to the Olympics they would be in the same group with USA and Serbia (and South Sudan ok), so Antony Davis would have a huge chance of beating Domas for the first time. Well this won't happen, hopefully the unbeaten run will be extended throughout the regular season.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think Domas was nursing a bit of a leg issue so I am not sad he can get some rest and start working with his new Kings teammates.

Was kind of hoping Bahamas could bump of Spain. Why are South Sudan and Japan in? I would assume maybe it's a regional thing but then I don't understand why Bahamas was playing Spain in that case.

I think Domas was nursing a bit of a leg issue so I am not sad he can get some rest and start working with his new Kings teammates.

Was kind of hoping Bahamas could bump of Spain. Why are South Sudan and Japan in? I would assume maybe it's a regional thing but then I don't understand why Bahamas was playing Spain in that case.

Yes regional in a way, top countries from Africa and Asia in last year's World Cup. America had USA and Canada, Europe had Germany and Serbia (and France as hosts) and Oceania had Australia.

Last August there were also pre-qualifiers regionally, Bahamas for instance beat Argentina and kicked them out of this summers qualifiers, so there were 4 different qualifiers this time each one with teams from different continents. In those 4 qualifiers there were 2 groups of 3 teams each so the first two teams of each group met in the semis and then the winners in the final that the trophy was the "golden ticket" to Paris.
Greece, Spain and Puerto Rico were all hosts, while Brazil kicked out Latvia at their home.