Does Vlade leaving affect Bogi’s free agency?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
It should affect his free agency. This is a new GM that just said flexibility is a priority. Now, that doesn't necessarily indicate blow up city, but re-signing what are technically duplicative pieces that haven't been used properly is about the exact opposite of being flexible. Then again, rumors are swirling about Kira Lewis being on their radar in the draft. Yeah, new day, same story. Lets draft another lanky more of a slasher PG to go with your franchise slashing PG. You know, considering that was clearly the key of all the other teams that didn't embarrass themselves in the bubble. Either way we'll know pretty early if this franchise is still a few beers short of a six pack or not when it comes to brains.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think Vlade persuaded Bogdanovic to sign with the Kings from his European club and now that Bogdanovic declined a hefty contract extension which I don't see McNair topping, unless he unloads Buddy and makes room for Bogdanovic as the primary starter at SG from day one.

I would expect McNair to pick between Buddy and Bogdanovic. I can't see him spend highly to keep both.

Seeing that Buddy is the better shooter and already under contract, I seem to be more inclined to think that McNair will aim to sign and trade Bogdan to the highest bidder, i.e Bucks or Lakers.

I think Vlade persuaded Bogdanovic to sign with the Kings from his European club and now that Bogdanovic declined a hefty contract extension which I don't see McNair topping, unless he unloads Buddy and makes room for Bogdanovic as the primary starter at SG from day one.
I’m not sure hefty is a fair characterization of the extension offer. At the time, I recall that it was widely considered below market, but the amount was dictated by the CBA.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure hefty is a fair characterization of the extension offer. At the time, I recall that it was widely considered below market, but the amount was dictated by the CBA.
51 million dollar extension for a player that averages around 15 PPG and is very inconsistent game to game while being the secondary ball handler behind Fox....if he's worth more then I'd love to see what teams are going to throw the bank for his services

Not sure why everyone’s in such a rush to make a decision. The bubble was 8 games. I would hope we aren’t making wild and big decisions based on that

The difference with Bogi right now compared to other off seasons is no Euro competition due to Covid. He should be well rested and healthy. Buddy should be recovered from his bout with Covid as well. Either of these two would look much different playing next to a star player who requires double teams. Leaving Buddy and Bogi open leads to the ball swishing in the net. Bogi will set up a Big for a dunk as well.

Both are valuable role players and if traded should bring back young talent or useful picks. It is hard to see both players with the Kings long term. Unless the Kings Front Office decides to pick the BPA with #12 and sign Bogi then see what they have before making any changes.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Not sure why everyone’s in such a rush to make a decision. The bubble was 8 games. I would hope we aren’t making wild and big decisions based on that
That was merely the cherry on top. I mean, clearly it was a big thing, hence clearing out the GM spot right after. The issue with Viveks version of this franchise continues to be aimless half measures while in transition however. Vlade had to deal with the hangover of Cuz/Karl and McNair is as well. Hopefully the emotions in the locker room can be smoothed over because if they make any other "big decisions" to placate a lame duck coach that has already soured the locker room then this could go from bad to worse in a hurry. That's why adding any more costly duplication to a cap that is shrinking as we speak is probably not wise.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I expect both Buddy and Bogi to be on the Kings opening night. I don’t expect either to be on the Kings past the trade deadline.
The issue is historically neither of those things fits with the other. If so then something needs to really change in how they are used. The one or the other fail competition as they swing back and forth at the SG spot month to month has killed both of their values as is. Continue on with that and it's just another dollar spent to end up getting 10 cents back.

That was merely the cherry on top. I mean, clearly it was a big thing, hence clearing out the GM spot right after. The issue with Viveks version of this franchise continues to be aimless half measures while in transition however. Vlade had to deal with the hangover of Cuz/Karl and McNair is as well. Hopefully the emotions in the locker room can be smoothed over because if they make any other "big decisions" to placate a lame duck coach that has already soured the locker room then this could go from bad to worse in a hurry. That's why adding any more costly duplication to a cap that is shrinking as we speak is probably not wise.
So what kind of sign and trade can McNair get for Bogi? Or is the best route to trade Buddy and match whatever the market sets for Bogi?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
So what kind of sign and trade can McNair get for Bogi? Or is the best route to trade Buddy and match whatever the market sets for Bogi?

You let Bogdans agent find that deal and yes, use your ability to match as leverage. Personally I think Buddy is a more impactful player from what I saw in the playoffs with other teams. That said, if you have to let Bogdan walk, you do. Period. When he does you build Buddy up as best as you can. If you win, you win, and if the damage is repaired maybe keep him, if not you let him blow it out and sell him high and start a midpoint version of a reset around Fox and Bagley. Heck, maybe even look at moving Bagley if he can shine up a bit for a full 3-5 year rebuild around Fox. Two rookie maxes on your cap during a rebuild isn't ideal, but it's not usually impossible. Again though, current times will make it much tougher cap wise. Teams that aren't stupid will see Buddy's value if used right. But that obviously only happens if they can smooth things over with Buddy and Walton does a 180 as a coach and plays his talent to their strengths and not role players out of position so he can get his lifelong role player feel goods going.

The difference with Bogi right now compared to other off seasons is no Euro competition due to Covid. He should be well rested and healthy. Buddy should be recovered from his bout with Covid as well. Either of these two would look much different playing next to a star player who requires double teams. Leaving Buddy and Bogi open leads to the ball swishing in the net. Bogi will set up a Big for a dunk as well.

Both are valuable role players and if traded should bring back young talent or useful picks. It is hard to see both players with the Kings long term. Unless the Kings Front Office decides to pick the BPA with #12 and sign Bogi then see what they have before making any changes.
I was thinking about this the other day, no European competition could see Bogi having a breakout season.

If they can re-sign him at a reasonable cost he could be a chip if he's not in our future plans. I see Buddy as more likely to get moved now if we can get a good return. He's doing his damnedest to make himself undesirable though.

I wonder when Fox will ever be respected and sent to the freethrow line when he deserves it. Just thinking out loud

We definitely need players that can draw a double team and get to the foul line and i think Fox can be one of those guys. Obviously we need more, so we'll see how this front office chooses to build.

I wonder when Fox will ever be respected and sent to the freethrow line when he deserves it. Just thinking out loud

We definitely need players that can draw a double team and get to the foul line and i think Fox can be one of those guys. Obviously we need more, so we'll see how this front office chooses to build.
He had the 24th most FTA in the league last year in only 45 games. My bigger issue with him at the free throw line is he only shoots 70%. It'd be great if he can get to 77-80%

Bogi has to sign a contract with the team. So say he agrees to a contract with the Bucks for 4 years/40 million. We can either match the offer or work out a deal with the Bucks to acquire an asset to waive our RFA rights on him.

McNair can't go shopping Bogi around like we have his contract. Bogi still has some control where he goes.

I think Bogi will be here because, if someone wants to sign him the only strategy that might scare Vivek off matching is to go high dollar. But the higher the contract starts, the fewer years offered. So, if a team is serious (and this is besides working a S&T), I think he’ll end up at $20M+ on a 2+1. The thing is, McNair can still argue we should match it, because that’s still a great contract for some of these contenders looking to shed big, sunk cost salary (and attach picks) for a playoff performer around the deadline.

And, for all the Buddy/Philly talk, Bogi makes a lot more sense for them. They just don’t have room for a S&T—would need to be near the deadline.

Bogi has to sign a contract with the team. So say he agrees to a contract with the Bucks for 4 years/40 million. We can either match the offer or work out a deal with the Bucks to acquire an asset to waive our RFA rights on him.

McNair can't go shopping Bogi around like we have his contract. Bogi still has some control where he goes.
IIRC, Bogi cannot actually sign another team’s offer sheet if a S&T is to be consummated. And, the gaining team must have the cap room to absorb the contract irrespective of departing salary in the trade. If Bogi does sign an offer, and we match, I don’t believe Bogi can be traded to that team until the next NBA year (full season moratorium).

IIRC, Bogi cannot actually sign another team’s offer sheet if a S&T is to be consummated. And, the gaining team must have the cap room to absorb the contract irrespective of departing salary in the trade. If Bogi does sign an offer, and we match, I don’t believe Bogi can be traded to that team until the next NBA year (full season moratorium).
Oh, you're right. So the Kings and Bucks have to work out a trade beforehand and take the 4 year/40 mil offer to Bogi to be signed right?

So you don't have to match salaries in a S&T? Because the team has to have the necessary space to sign the guy outright anyway?

So is it Bogi's agent who actually shops Bogi to other teams with the idea of a S&T in mind?

Him getting a lot does not equal getting what is due. Just a thought.
It's a fair thought, but getting what he is due is subjective and out of his control. He plays on a small market team so calls won't come as easy, he isn't a marquee superstar so he doesn't get that benefit (yet), and he will never get all the calls he is 'due'. Instead, I'd rather see him improve something he can control: success at the free throw line.