Does the hiring of McNair increased the chance of Harry Giles remaining as a King?

Title.

I'm wondering if the impact Giles has from an analytics standpoint and the mismatch (a big man who is can dish and make plays) capability changes how the team and our new GM evaluate his contract extension.

We're limited as to what we can do with Giles. I think the lockdown along with any diminished salary cap that results has a bigger effect.

Now as for McNair, my guess is he probably will want to turn the roster over, decrease payroll so he can get his own stamp going, and won't be viewing Giles with any kind of sunk cost lens. Which may mean that he won't get an offer that is equal to the full extension he could have got. Any handshake deals Vlade and his camp had also have to be off the table, you'd imagine. And Vlade will take the hit if he becomes a star for not extending him.

(my guess: not here)

My guess is that Coach Walton would have the biggest effect on whether McNair decides to try and retain Giles.

If Walton openly campaigns to McNair for Giles to return, which he should, condering the Kings played their best ball when Giles started, then their is a good chance the Kings bring him back.

With the salary cap likely to stay the same or decrease this year due to COVID, the Kings have a good chance to retain Giles with a solid $3-4 million offer.

The biggest carrot the Kings can dangle to Giles is that he knows he has a spot in the rotation and they would have his Bird Rights, which would make Giles eligible for a big extension next summer.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This depends on what he means by flexibility. If he means true flexibility that probably means all the FA's are likely on their way out or on short term deals that decrease the chances of them being on the team past the deadline anyway. IMO I still think Harry would be much better served going overseas when and if that becomes an option.

This depends on what he means by flexibility. If he means true flexibility that probably means all the FA's are likely on their way out or on short term deals that decrease the chances of them being on the team past the deadline anyway. IMO I still think Harry would be much better served going overseas when and if that becomes an option.
Overseas you say??

dude12

Hall of Famer
I know he’s a fan favorite but the salary for him has got to be very low. I’d rather them go in the direction of Holmes and Bagley at Center and me personally, I’d rather have Len as the 3 rd guy there. I’d much rather see Barnes at the 4 and get at least 2 more guys who can swap between the 3 and 4 getting more athletic and longer.

Overseas you say??
Yep. Follow the Whiteside path of flawed high potential former King who dropped in the draft that the franchise nearly destroyed that got a second opportunity down the line. See if he can develop physically and actually get a chance to use his talents in a league that will find them much more valuable. I'd say the odds of him being out of this situation is his best bet if he has long term hope of being a pro ball player.

Yep. Follow the Whiteside path of flawed high potential former King who dropped in the draft that the franchise nearly destroyed that got a second opportunity down the line. See if he can develop physically and actually get a chance to use his talents in a league that will find them much more valuable. I'd say the odds of him being out of this situation is his best bet if he has long term hope of being a pro ball player.
I agree with this. I think he is too good for the g-league but - for me - there are a few too many barriers for him to get the minutes he requires in the NBA. One or two years in Europe could provide a good developmental opportunity (and a nice life experience).