Do we have the best commentators in the league?

I think most of us dislike Grant because of his radio show, not solely because of his style of announcing. Putting all the blame on the shoulders of the one brigt spot this franchise has had over the last few years, takes it too far for me.
I would take Heinsohn over Grant and Jerry btw. The guy is certainly biased to the point were it's comical, but I love the way he goes off on officials. He isn't sugarcoating the officiating like most of the announcers do. And I love the way he values defense.

I remember a few games ago when the Kings were up 2 points in the final seconds and the opponent had the ball. During the timeout Grant and Jerry just kept repeating how a two would tie the game while a three would cost us the game. I think their play-by-play commentary is all right but they really struggle to say anything insightful during timeouts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Putting all the blame on the shoulders of the one brigt spot this franchise has had over the last few years, takes it too far for me.
Say what? GRANT is the one bright spot this franchise has had over the last few years?

...Congratulations. You've rendered me speechless.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
GER may have been insinuating that Grant muddies up the one bright spot (cousins), especially on his radio show.
I do not listen to Grant's radio show but after hearing how he trashes Cuz, I cannot help but think what he says as an announcer is two faced. It spoils him for me. I know that his opinions may not be heartfelt but are stated to suit his audience.

Grant does seem a little more open to bash the team than during the Maloof years where it felt like he was being handed a script but he is still a meh play by play guy. Im sure Jerry is a cool guy and has great stories to tell but as an analyst in terms of breaking down whats going on on the court from an X's and O's etc. standpoint he is beyond clueless. Seems like most of the time its Grant bringing something up and saying "right Jerry?" just to drag him along.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Grant does seem a little more open to bash the team than during the Maloof years where it felt like he was being handed a script but he is still a meh play by play guy. Im sure Jerry is a cool guy and has great stories to tell but as an analyst in terms of breaking down whats going on on the court from an X's and O's etc. standpoint he is beyond clueless. Seems like most of the time its Grant bringing something up and saying "right Jerry?" just to drag him along.
Jerry is a "yes man" and that is sad. I think he knows more than he is saying or at least I hope he knows more. I don't think he wants to debate Grant and has become passive to make an easy buck involved in what he loves and living where he loves. (He HAS said he would never leave Sacramento even if it meant being a middle school coach) Jerry has done everything in basketball. I have always liked him but as a fellow midwesterner, I can understand his unwillingness to go against a hyper New Yorker.

The best call happened last game when Grant said something, Jerry agreed, and they both were wrong. Jerry is mailing it in. Imagine a duo of Grant and Christie!

I

Im Still Ballin

We are very fortunate to have these two. There's only a few team commentators I would put over them.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't mind Grant as a play by play guy and I have a soft spot for Jerry but I woudn't put them up as one of the best teams in the NBA.

I don't know who would make a bettter PBP man but Kayte should absolutely be doing the color commentary.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Can we knock off the personal stuff just because we disagree with somebody's opinions?
It's not personal and it has nothing to do with agreeing or not agreeing. I read every post in the Kings related forums and I think it's pretty obvious what the agenda is. Actually I think it's hilarious and more than a little bit clever but, come on. Using the O word in this case is really a stretch.

So far I've preferred the Kings commentators to other commentators. Not sure if they are the best. Maybe I haven't heard the best yet. Whenever I turn on League Pass, I always default to the Kings broadcast, so I don't know a lot about the others.