Do we have the best commentators in the league?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is actually a second-hand story. The original is here: http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/the-nba-local-tv-announcer-rankings.html/6

It appears there were over 850 voters (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HKR5NTdZ8qRRymUNirkDc/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0) where the voters were readers of "Awful Announcing".

For what it's worth, I don't concur with what appears to be the most popular opinion around here. Putting aside Grant's radio show, I think he is a good play-by-play announcer and I enjoy the Grant/Jerry team.

Apart from the discreet digs at Cuz, I definitely find them bearable to listen to. There are others where one wonders just how they got the job in the first place. I also find them to be quite honest and accurate in their assessments of the team and the opposing teams.
This. It's as if people here want stoic, deep voiced 60 year old biased robots. They have their annoying quirks as most local commentators do, but they are also much better than most in terms of giving other teams credit and no slobbering over their players to the point of blindless. Bias in commentary is 90439340930943x worse than Jerry's corny old man rhymes. I'll never understand the hate for them if you've heard the majority of other local commentators.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This. It's as if people here want stoic, deep voiced 60 year old biased robots. They have their annoying quirks as most local commentators do, but they are also much better than most in terms of giving other teams credit and no slobbering over their players to the point of blindless. Bias in commentary is 90439340930943x worse than Jerry's corny old man rhymes. I'll never understand the hate for them if you've heard the majority of other local commentators.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone who doesn't agree.

I'm not interested in them "giving other teams credit," especially when they become fawning sycophants. Their "slobbering over players" is embarrassing, when you consider they do it on a consistent basis to at least one opposing player a night.

You talk about bias in commentary? Grant has it in spades...in reverse.

I really enjoy them, glad they've got some recognition too. I really enjoy Jerry's fair treatment and knowledge base of our opponents too.

I do have a problem with Grant on the radio sometimes, its not his voice or energy, just his analysis sometimes. But play by play he is excellent. We've got a good radio setup too for play by play.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No one's asking for Mike Rice or Tommy Heinsohn but there's a difference between providing insightful commentary and shouting one of three catchphrases at least twice a night.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This. It's as if people here want stoic, deep voiced 60 year old biased robots...
It's as if people don't know what "excluded middle" means.

... They have their annoying quirks as most local commentators do, but they are also much better than most in terms of giving other teams credit and no slobbering over their players to the point of blindless...
No, they just "slobber" over the other guys, instead.

Bias in commentary is 90439340930943x worse than Jerry's corny old man rhymes.
As @VF21 pointed out, Napear is biased; he's just biased in the other direction.

I'll never understand the hate for them if you've heard the majority of other local commentators.
I've heard all the other local commentators: Napear and Reynolds are bottom seven, IMO.

I'm not interested in them "giving other teams credit," especially when they become fawning sycophants. Their "slobbering over players" is embarrassing, when you consider they do it on a consistent basis to at least one opposing player a night.
To a degree, I agree. I don't have a problem with them being objective and giving the opposition some credit, but I also feel that they go overboard in that regard. That, along with the constant jinxing they do with dagger 3 pointers and free throws, are really the only gripes I have, though.

Regardless which side of the fence you are on, it is interesting to read what outsiders think about our local announcers. Since we follow the team regularly and since many are from or live in the area, we can be pretty biased one way or the other.

I would put them as middle of the pack at best. There are definitely worse, but I've grown tired of them over the years. Napear's sayings are worn out, and often uses verbal crutches. Jerry is okay, like him more as a person than as a color guy. I enjoy listening to other broadcast teams (for the most part), and I really am not sure if it's because they are objectively better or if it's just because it's a breath of fresh air from commentary that really hasn't evolved for 10 years.

No one's asking for Mike Rice or Tommy Heinsohn but there's a difference between providing insightful commentary and shouting one of three catchphrases at least twice a night.
Jerry's catchphrases drive me up the wall. He already has an affable enough personality to not have to resort to that. And with the sometimes dopey way that Christie conducts himself as guest analyst on the court or in the studio, I'm afraid it's going to be more of the same schtick if he's truly being groomed as the heir apparent.

When was the last time a Kings team won over 30 games? It's not like Grant and Jerry have much to cheer about.

How many compliments can you give a 20 win team?

Considering the horrible defensive teams in the past decade, many players have looked like prime Jordan against the Kings, so it's hard not to to give credit when it's due. Considering it happens every other night, I can see how it would get tiring complimenting the other team, but it's not their fault. Would you rather have them go on and on about how "insert player name" is overrated and shouldn't be on the team?

Name the players in the past decade that have put up great performances in a Kings uniform.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Name the players in the past decade that have put up great performances in a Kings uniform.
Not the point...at all.

This year we DO have players putting up great performances and yet, more than once, our dynamic duo is more interested in touting the "flavor of the day" on the other team.

It shouldn't be about whether or not the team they're covering is doing a great job.

Not the point...at all.

This year we DO have players putting up great performances and yet, more than once, our dynamic duo is more interested in touting the "flavor of the day" on the other team.

It shouldn't be about whether or not the team they're covering is doing a great job.
They've praised the play of Cousins and Rondo plenty of times this year. When the opposing team team goes Curry on you every game, you can't help but be shocked.

Fwiw, I really enjoy G & J being hard on this team. They are doing their very best not to drop f bombs on them and I am cool with it because this team deserves it.

Jerry doesn't bother me so much. Grant does. It wouldn't hurt if they took the teams side on questionable "incidences" at least occasionally.
They do, far more than other announcers. You don't have to like htem, but if you aren't in the area and have to hear the rest of the announcers regularly, this isn't news. I won't argue with you that they aren't bad in an absolute sense. Maybe they are. But the other guys are worse.