DishNetwork and NBCSportsCalifornia

GWD

G-League
Yes, but DirectTV has all of the sports one can digest. Not better than Dish but supports the sports fan (for now).

Too bad DirectTV'a DVR sucks. Dish is way ahead on that front.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so how are fans that still have Dish watching the Kings games? I don't know if I should invest in League Pass for next season or not if they are going to black out Kings games out of market.

Yes, but DirectTV has all of the sports one can digest. Not better than Dish but supports the sports fan (for now).

Too bad DirectTV'a DVR sucks. Dish is way ahead on that front.
I‘ve always had DTV because they had always been better than Dish.

Outside of the PAC12 network, there’s nothing I can complain about them not having.

Also, not sure which equipment you’ve used, but I don’t see Dish having better DVR either.

However, now that AT&T took over DTV they’ve been downright awful. Especially the CS support.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Outside of the PAC12 network, there’s nothing I can complain about them not having.

Also, not sure which equipment you’ve used, but I don’t see Dish having better DVR either.

However, now that AT&T took over DTV they’ve been downright awful. Especially the CS support.
That's why i refuse to switch.

I switched to YouTube TV a couple years ago, but I wish I could get rid of that and just subscribe directly to NBCsportsBayArea for kings games.

I switched to YouTube TV a couple years ago, but I wish I could get rid of that and just subscribe directly to NBCsportsBayArea for kings games.
They are talking about the possibility of being able to subscribe directly to regional sports networks in the future. Sort of like I do with League Pass and only subscribe for the Kings games. I am not local anymore. It is pretty fluid and lots of uncertainty of what and whom will rise to the top.

GWD

G-League

My DirectTV has the "latest and greatest" DVR just installed last month - Genie HD DVR. Compared to Dish it is slooooooow. The fast forward takes forever and is unreliable as to where it stops. I've had to go backwards from the middle of the third quarter almost every game. And yes, I look at the counter. The 30 second skip doesn't skip. Rather in scrolls through the 30 seconds.

DirectTV doesn't have nearly as many receivers as Dish. Several times with DirectTV, I've had to cancel something to watch something else because all of their receivers are in use - usually recording a sports event.

There is not nearly the storage as Dish has. The first week with DirectTV my storage was 61% full. At least I can plug in a 4TB remote drive (but then I'd lose all the current recordings).

Also, I miss CallerID on the TV screen. Dish had it, DirectTV doesn't.

This is after 21 years of Dish and one month of DirectTV. There may be things I've missed.

They are talking about the possibility of being able to subscribe directly to regional sports networks in the future. Sort of like I do with League Pass and only subscribe for the Kings games. I am not local anymore. It is pretty fluid and lots of uncertainty of what and whom will rise to the top.
that would be great, because I really don’t watch any regular TV anymore. So I spend $780/yr to watch Kings games, ESPN, NBA TV, MLB network and Top Chef. More or less.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I've had Dish forever and overall am happy with it. But this blows. And I live in the country so my only options are DTV or Dish. I already pay a small fortune for my wireless broadband internet access (for a whopping 8 MB down and 2 MB up, woohoo!), so I sure am not going to start streaming all my TV too.

I guess if Dish is going to stop carrying games they did it at the right time, judging by our play since that happened. :oops:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Like I said. Saves me from watching bad games, I guess.
Just getting back to this - I'm switching to DirecTV on Tuesday. Dish still hasn't figured this out, and I spent some time on the phone with them on Friday. They seem to be in no hurry to resolve this 6-month issue and they haven't reimbursed us for taking the sports network away (even though they complain about the cost of the network being the issue, they sure aren't passing that savings on to their customers).

In general, I like Dish. I've been otherwise pretty happy with them. But, living out in the country with comparatively slow and expensive broadband internet, we need to have a satellite-based TV service. Seems like there really is only one choice at this point if I want to watch the Kings.....and it torques me. It appears to be a generally inferior service overall, but they are the only ones who (at this point) carry what I need.

Just getting back to this - I'm switching to DirecTV on Tuesday. Dish still hasn't figured this out, and I spent some time on the phone with them on Friday. They seem to be in no hurry to resolve this 6-month issue and they haven't reimbursed us for taking the sports network away (even though they complain about the cost of the network being the issue, they sure aren't passing that savings on to their customers).

In general, I like Dish. I've been otherwise pretty happy with them. But, living out in the country with comparatively slow and expensive broadband internet, we need to have a satellite-based TV service. Seems like there really is only one choice at this point if I want to watch the Kings.....and it torques me. It appears to be a generally inferior service overall, but they are the only ones who (at this point) carry what I need.
I work on expanding broadband access in California. It’s terrible how often there is only one choice of provider for consumers based on their needs. And it’s not just rural communities. Poorer urban areas are marginalized as well. “Competition” doesn’t happen very often.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I work on expanding broadband access in California. It’s terrible how often there is only one choice of provider for consumers based on their needs. And it’s not just rural communities. Poorer urban areas are marginalized as well. “Competition” doesn’t happen very often.
Thanks for what you do. In all fairness, I know that it's hard to get high speed internet to rural areas where a fiber optic line is an expensive proposition when you only have a few customers per mile of line installed (if that!). But one would think there can be better wireless ways than what is currently used (or at least cheaper costs for existing service like I have now).

Thanks for what you do. In all fairness, I know that it's hard to get high speed internet to rural areas where a fiber optic line is an expensive proposition when you only have a few customers per mile of line installed (if that!). But one would think there can be better wireless ways than what is currently used (or at least cheaper costs for existing service like I have now).
I remember when the old analog television channels were "auctioned" off and it was supposed to be wifi on steroids....... :eek: Instead that space remains unused..... I wonder (not really :confused:) why ...:mad::mad:

Wireless still needs a fiber backbone. The wireless signal is usually just the last miles to the home (from the backbone). I have not been tracking how Elon Musk’s fiber link project (space satellites) is doing - but they showed some promise for the rural areas.

Wireless still needs a fiber backbone. The wireless signal is usually just the last miles to the home (from the backbone). I have not been tracking how Elon Musk’s fiber link project (space satellites) is doing - but they showed some promise for the rural areas.
My understanding was part of the problem was them being able to control and monetize the spectrum. Using the white space.

GWD

G-League
Warhawk:

Agree with your analysis 100%.

Dish is a much, much superior platform. Unfortunately, the programming sucks and we are left with DirectTV being the only alternative to sports broadcasting.

My six-month experience with DirectTV has been less than adequate. Even though it was supposed to tape, it missed the 49er's game on Sunday. Not acceptable but there is nothing else to do except run both Dish and DirectTV...too expensive and doesn't make much sense.

Warhawk:

Agree with your analysis 100%.

Dish is a much, much superior platform. Unfortunately, the programming sucks and we are left with DirectTV being the only alternative to sports broadcasting.

My six-month experience with DirectTV has been less than adequate. Even though it was supposed to tape, it missed the 49er's game on Sunday. Not acceptable but there is nothing else to do except run both Dish and DirectTV...too expensive and doesn't make much sense.
It wasn't the DVR that missed it, its the programing guide service. If you had it set to record live games and the game wasn't marked as live it wont set it to record.