DeMarcus Cousins injury (merged)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Gentry said it was his Achilles. MRI scheduled for tomorrow.

IANAD but, best-case scenario? He's done until the middle of March. If he has to get surgery, the Pelicans are done.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Really takes the joy out of a huge statement win for New Orleans; for them to be the first team to beat Houston when Harden, Paul and Capela all play... They were poised on the verge of a breakthrough. Now, all they can do is hope for a miracle.

Still rooting for ya Boogie... hopefully good news but if not hope you can heal and return to do what you do so well

Edit: it’s torn :(

Last edited:
And probably half of next year too. Right in a contract year.
Yeah...sucks for him and the franchise (New Orleans). I was never the biggest DeMarcus fan when he was on the Kings. And was actually glad when we made the move. However, I never wished anything bad for the guy. I wanted him to succeed outside of Sacramento. I still do. This injury is very unfortunate.

I'm devastated for Cousins. He came into the league with his own problems, but he also came to a horrible Sacramento team. A team that could not for the life god, surround him with capable talent. Could never surround him with players that fit. When they did, the FO abandoned ship. During his contract negotiation, lots of people and the media questioned whether or not he was a franchise player. Whether or not he could be a centerpiece. Whether or not he was just a mediocre player putting up big stats on a bad team. He was dragged through the George Karl mess, and in spite of it all, he solidified himself as the best center in the league that year. Completely adopted his game to fit modern jumpshooting NBA as a physical 6'11 270lb C. Proved everyone wrong. 7 years as a King without a playoff appearance, and none of it was his fault.

He gets traded to the NOP and gets paired with the other best bigman in the game. They play phenomenal basketball. They're on track to make the playoffs. It'll be his first playoff appearance in 8 years in the NBA. He gets selected as an All-Star starter for the first time in his career. Abruptly, he tears his Achilles on a non-contact injury.

This is horrible for him. He also becomes a FA at the end of this season. Torn Achilles injuries are no joke, and I legitimately wonder if he'll come back to be the same heights. He's only 27yearsold, but he's such a big man at 6'11 270lbs.

Christ. That's terrible. Hopefully it's not a full tear. One positive is that his game is not built so much on explosion, so I think even if it's fully torn and he's out for a bit, he could still be that dominant big man once he comes back

Yeah, I saw it go down live. As soon as I saw him refuse to put weight on it and then fall to the ground, I had an eerie feeling it was his Achilles. Unbelievable. All due to a missed free throw too and then an awkward step.

Sad thing is, he was having such a great year and the Pels were really starting to hit their stride. They might have been a legit threat in the postseason given how the game slows down.

I feel terrible for Boogie.

Christ. That's terrible. Hopefully it's not a full tear. One positive is that his game is not built so much on explosion, so I think even if it's fully torn and he's out for a bit, he could still be that dominant big man once he comes back
Sources: MRI on Pelicans All-Star DeMarcus Cousins revealed a full rupture of his left Achilles tendon.

Took me too long to say I don't have words for this terrible turn of events for DMC. I wish him a speedy and successful recovery, and the strength to keep his spirits up during such a trying time. He has a good heart. The world just wasn't ready for playoffs Boogie yet. :(

Achilles are one of the nastier injuries, and they take awhile to come back from, but you can come back. Since they are a tendon, physiologically, they have the ability to heal more efficiently than a ligament. I talked with a foot-doctor who explained that they can actually heal without surgery in many cases. As a professional athlete, injury is always a risk. A co-worker I know, ruptured his achilles just back-pedaling on defense awhile back. I think it is the type of injury you cannot generally foresee.