DeAaron Fox - meeting expectations?

Is DeAaron Fox meeting your expectations?

• He's not quite as good as I thought he'd be.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm disappointed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel like people are giving Lonzo more credit than he's due for just being on a team with a rapidly improving Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, and the sudden surprise reappearance of "Next C-Webb" Julius Randle.
I think some of Kuzma’s shooting is due to Ball and others getting him open looks.

If you look at Kuzma’s open 3 point shots (opponent 4 or more feet away) he averages almost 2 more shots a game then Bogdan.

In fact if you take this group of top rookies and sophomores: Tatum, Anunoby, Brogdan, Bogdanovich, Brown, Smith, Heild, Murray, Saric, Kuzma, Markkannen, Mitchell

Heild is ranked 2nd and Bogdanovich is ranked 3rd in 3 point shooting percentage. But they rank 6 and 9th in per game open 3 point attempts.

Fox is a pretty good defender. You guys need to give Lillard his due respect.
Fox has the potential to be a very good, and maybe great, defender. But he’s not there yet where we can generalize and call him a “pretty good defender.” He definitely has his moments on the plus side, and on the minus side, too. But for me, the most fundamental quality of being a good defender (for guards and wings) is staying in front of your man. If you let him blow by you, you’ve screwed up your team’s defensive scheme. Others have to leave their man to guard your man. Sometimes it works out ok (like it’s supposed to), but more often than not, you’ve caused a defensive breakdown. The better you guard your man, the better everything else turns out. Fox regularly allows his man to blow by him. Other than that, yeah, he’s a “pretty good defender”

Fox has the potential to be a very good, and maybe great, defender. But he’s not there yet where we can generalize and call him a “pretty good defender.” He definitely has his moments on the plus side, and on the minus side, too. But for me, the most fundamental quality of being a good defender (for guards and wings) is staying in front of your man. If you let him blow by you, you’ve screwed up your team’s defensive scheme. Others have to leave their man to guard your man. Sometimes it works out ok (like it’s supposed to), but more often than not, you’ve caused a defensive breakdown. The better you guard your man, the better everything else turns out. Fox regularly allows his man to blow by him. Other than that, yeah, he’s a “pretty good defender”
"Fox regularly allows his man to blow by him." is what you wrote. Everyone in the NBA gets beat from time to time. You make it sound like Fox is a defensive sieve which is NOT the case.

Wanted to be the first to post here as I have been critical of Fox....

The kid had a great game.

He looked like a potential NBA all Star point guard. Multiple times he collapsed the defense and kicked out to open 3 point shooters. He made great decisions in the paint when to shoot and when to pass. He played good defense and used his speed to cut off drives....

If he was a friend or a child I’d give him a huge hug.... if he continues to play the way he played today he will lead his team to great things in the future.

He looked like a potential NBA all Star point guard. Multiple times he collapsed the defense and kicked out to open 3 point shooters. He made great decisions in the paint when to shoot and when to pass. He played good defense and used his speed to cut off drives....

If he was a friend or a child I’d give him a huge hug.... if he continues to play the way he played today he will lead his team to great things in the future.
As Fox was making those kickouts (some of them under great pressure requiring lots of athleticism) i was thinking sactowndog is happy somewhere :)

this is so cool to read. i can't wait to see the full game highlights, especially as far as Fox is concerned. Sounds like a missed a gem of a game from him, even though the numbers aren't super flashy of course

10 dimes is nothing to sneeze considering his style of play.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this is so cool to read. i can't wait to see the full game highlights, especially as far as Fox is concerned. Sounds like a missed a gem of a game from him, even though the numbers aren't super flashy of course

10 dimes is nothing to sneeze considering his style of play.
Perhaps Fox can turn out to be a more athletic Mike Conley

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
To my mind, he's definitely ahead of where Conley was at the beginning of his career. Hopefully, that means he'll exceed Conley in a couple of years.
I mean, I'm obviously hoping for more and stardom but I like to keep my expectations to a minimum until I see more so in the mean time, Conley is not a bad player to have on your team as a piece to a contender, unfortunately not the main piece.

I'm a bit late on this, but he hasn't really made the team much better than what it is now. I liked the pick, but would like to see a couple more years before I give up. He does have the potential to be a solid contributor to a winning team. Not sure if he's starting material on a winning team, and might never be, but for now it's all we have..

We need to draft Trae Young.

I'm a bit late on this, but he hasn't really made the team much better than what it is now. I liked the pick, but would like to see a couple more years before I give up. He does have the potential to be a solid contributor to a winning team. Not sure if he's starting material on a winning team, and might never be, but for now it's all we have..

We need another guard? But why?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

LOL! Looks like denial ain;t just a river in Egypt. Fox has done a LOT for this team and he's barely 20 years old.

Erm... why would you even consider giving up a point guard who has a chance to be a superstar? It's way too early to tell, but all the signs point to the fact that he's gonna be a force in this league for years to come. Fox and Bogie have been the real glimmers of hope this season. The guard position is perhaps the only position that I'm least worried about on this team.

Last edited:
Erm... why would you even consider giving up a point guard who has a chance to be a superstar? It's way too early to tell, but all the signs point to the fact that he's gonna be a force in this league for years to come. Fox and Bogie have been the real glimmers of hope this season. The guard position is perhaps the only position that I'm least worried about on this team.
I like Fox, but I really do have to question this. What signs? He's shown signs that he's not a bust, and will probably be ok, but a force in this league? Don't think he's actually shown that yet.

Edit: just read about his clutch performance. He has been very impressive nailing big shots, but I still think you have to look at the whole body of evidence. I for one also believe and hope he will become a great player, but I think objectively he hasn't shown enough signs of that in his rookie season.

Last edited:
I like Fox, but I really do have to question this. What signs? He's shown signs that he's not a bust, and will probably be ok, but a force in this league? Don't think he's actually shown that yet.

Edit: just read about his clutch performance. He has been very impressive nailing big shots, but I still think you have to look at the whole body of evidence. I for one also believe and hope he will become a great player, but I think objectively he hasn't shown enough signs of that in his rookie season.
You know, I've seen him play in every game this season, and I'm not sure it's quantifiable, but I see something special in the kid. Maybe not everyone sees it. He had a rough start to the season, undoubtedly, but for a rookie, he's been balling since his return from injury. After sitting out just a handful of games, he immediately knew what adjustments he needed to make, which I think speaks to his high basketball IQ. Do his stats jump out at you? No, but almost every game he does something that makes me sit back in awe and think he has that IT factor. Plays that only superstars make. Everybody knows about his blistering speed, but it's his handles and vision while going at breakneck speed is what really jumps out at you. As he bulks up and gets more experience, he'll eventually get the calls he's not getting right now. This coupled with intangibles like leadership skills, maturity, competitiveness and clutch factor leads me to believe he could be a force (but nothing is written in stone).

The four qualities that make an All Star: Consistently great Qtr after Qtr, scores a lot, impacts the game in other areas when having a poor shooIng night,and Makes the team mates around him better. Just because a player is clutch, does NOT put him in the All Star conversation. I like Fox and think he will be even better next year. But, I don’t see any of those aforementioned qualities in Fox. None, right Now. Let’s see next year.

I wouldn’t mind drafting Young. You can never have enough talent. The team desperately needs a 3 and a rim protector. But, if Young is on the board when the Kings pick, they have to take him.

I recall you being one of Tyreke’s biggest non-believvers, not that there is anything wrong with that...

But would you say you are more encouraged by Fox at the same point in time as Evans at the same time in his rookie campaign.

Not trolling you at all, serious question. Thanks mac!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The four qualities that make an All Star: Consistently great Qtr after Qtr, scores a lot, impacts the game in other areas when having a poor shooIng night,and Makes the team mates around him better. Just because a player is clutch, does NOT put him in the All Star conversation. I like Fox and think he will be even better next year. But, I don’t see any of those aforementioned qualities in Fox. None, right Now. Let’s see next year.
Once he gets stronger and learns the defensive concepts of the NBA, you best believe he can make an impact on the other end of the floor. He gets right into his opponents space and he has those quick hands and he's poked balls out on numerous occasions and that shows that his defensive abilities are there and will come with some time.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind drafting Young. You can never have enough talent. The team desperately needs a 3 and a rim protector. But, if Young is on the board when the Kings pick, they have to take him.
Do they really have to? Because I'm seeing him play today, and he looks like he has the potential to wash out.

Well my comment looks pretty stupid now, lol. He's killing it.

Last edited: