De’Aaron Martez Fox

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This was a nice callback. Fox has reached unreal levels of scoring efficiency for a guard. He's now averaging 30+ ppg and he's still making 50% of his shots from the field. And the truly scary thing (in a good way for Kings fans) about how good he's gotten at scoring the ball is that there's really nobody in the league who can defend him. He's too fast, too shifty with the ball, too good at taking the contact and finishing. Years from now we may look back at this moment as the beginning of the D. Fox era.

This was a nice callback. Fox has reached unreal levels of scoring efficiency for a guard. He's now averaging 30+ ppg and he's still making 50% of his shots from the field. And the truly scary thing (in a good way for Kings fans) about how good he's gotten at scoring the ball is that there's really nobody in the league who can defend him. He's too fast, too shifty with the ball, too good at taking the contact and finishing. Years from now we may look back at this moment as the beginning of the D. Fox era.
I don't even think it's about the speed anymore. I think it's he's learned how to use it properly in the last 2 years. As a young guy, he was just 110 miles an hour all the time. But now his patience and change of direction around the rim is actually just impossible to guard or predict.

hrdboild

Staff member
I don't even think it's about the speed anymore. I think it's he's learned how to use it properly in the last 2 years. As a young guy, he was just 110 miles an hour all the time. But now his patience and change of direction around the rim is actually just impossible to guard or predict.
Absolutely. Speed alone just gets you stuffed at the rim. Over the last 5 years we saw Fox add the mid-range game, add the euro-steps and spin moves in the paint, and most importantly in the last couple years he's stopped looking for calls and learned how to finish through contact. All of those were important developments and I agree entirely with the point you're making. But I also want to emphasize that the speed is still there and it's what makes him uniquely unguardable. There's a number of really good ballhandlers, pull-up shooters, step-back shooters etc. in the league but none of them combine those tools with the speed that De'Aaron has. That combination of unreal speed + the ability to stop on a dime and hit the pull-up + this season adding step-back threes into his game? That's game over for opposing defenses. When he's locked in there's nothing you can do but hope he fouls out.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
reminds me of Shai and his adjustment to the speed of the game. He plays so slow, reminds me of a slightly faster Kyle Anderson in terms of movement but he's figured out how to attack effectively without having elite athleticism

Improvement of Foxy on defense breath taking as well as taking on the mantle of leadership for the Kings. Every season since rookie year he's improved in certain areas but on defense and as the leader the Kings last two seasons remarkable. Coach Brown saw the superstar potential and nurtured it to fruition.

They are both the right guard. Fox wouldn’t have the Pacers offense gelling like they are because he isn’t the pure point guard Rese is, but we got that historical offense engine in Domas so we need different things from Fox.

What I like about Fox more for the Kings is that he can get any shot at any time he wants, especially crunch time. Tyrese has had a good step back 3. Elite even, but that’s something that can be schemed. After that, it’s on Tyrese teammates because he can’t meaningfully attack the hoop like Fox.

Fox far more difficult, especially if he’s going to shoot the three in the mid to high 30’s at 8 attempts per like he is to this point. A three ball teams have to respect puts Fox from all star squeaker into one of the absolute best players in the NBA

I don’t want to turn this into another thread about the trade but I think everything is in its right place. This is somebody who hated the trade when it happened too.

Kings had a historic offense after trading in my opinion the best “pure” point guard in the NBA. The ends are ultimately the same offensively so until one of Tyrese winning championships as “the guy” OR the Fox-Domas core prematurely implodes without ever making a meaningful run happens. It’s a win-win and not worth digging up until new developments happen.

And no…”new developments” isn’t one of Fox, Domas, or Haliburton having a monster game.

It’s not really debatable that both teams were bad before, and now both teams are good after. Good for what should be a long time.

Last edited:
Where are the Hail wonks, why are they not carpet bombing this thread?
I understand where you are coming from, but no need to crap on Hali (or his wonks). For me at least, he will always remain a beloved player who chose and loved the city, brought energy, passion, love, and excitement each game, earned the respect of his teammates, fans, and opponents, and was one of the few bright spots in a decade of futility.

It's not as if he wanted out, or quit on the team. Quite the contrary. In fact, some fans are upset that he can't let go of the fact that we traded him.

hrdboild

Staff member
They are both the right guard. Fox wouldn’t have the Pacers offense gelling like they are because he isn’t the pure point guard Rese is, but we got that historical offense engine in Domas so we need different things from Fox.

What I like about Fox more for the Kings is that he can get any shot at any time he wants, especially crunch time. Tyrese has had a good step back 3. Elite even, but that’s something that can be schemed. After that, it’s on Tyrese teammates because he can’t meaningfully attack the hoop like Fox.

Fox far more difficult, especially if he’s going to shoot the three in the mid to high 30’s at 8 attempts per like he is to this point. A three ball teams have to respect puts Fox from all star squeaker into one of the absolute best players in the NBA

I don’t want to turn this into another thread about the trade but I think everything is in its right place. This is somebody who hated the trade when it happened too.

Kings had a historic offense after trading in my opinion the best “pure” point guard in the NBA. The ends are ultimately the same offensively so until one of Tyrese winning championships as “the guy” OR the Fox-Domas core prematurely implodes without ever making a meaningful run happens. It’s a win-win and not worth digging up until new developments happen.

And no…”new developments” isn’t one of Fox, Domas, or Haliburton having a monster game.

It’s not really debatable that both teams were bad before, and now both teams are good after. Good for what should be a long time.
Yeah, this is the rare situation where we drafted a star player and fan favorite and traded him before we even got to see him reach his potential but we can still watch him grow into a superstar for someone else guilt-free because we have our own superstar and it was the right move for the overall success of the team. It helps that he's in the Eastern conference too where we only have to worry about facing him in the playoffs if we get to the Finals. I'll root for Indiana as long as they have Tyrese (except when they play the Kings of course).