Davis wants out

Not another star wanting out. What a crazy summer.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/hornets/2004-09-02-davis-demand_x.htm

Davis stirs up Hornets' nest
By Roscoe Nance, USA TODAY
Baron Davis and his agent are demanding that the New Orleans Hornets trade the two-time All-Star guard to improve Davis' chances to win an NBA title.
Without Baron Davis, the Hornets won't have much sting in the powerful Western Conference.
By Bill Haber, APThe Hornets have reached the playoffs seven of the last eight seasons while competing in the Eastern Conference. The team moves to the Western Conference this season after the expansion Charlotte Bobcats displaced them in the East. The Hornets will compete in the new Southwest Division, which also includes San Antonio, Houston, Dallas and Memphis and is regarded as the most competitive division in the NBA.

"After talking with Baron and evaluating what the Hornets organization has been doing this offseason, I'm concerned with Baron's current status and his future with the team," Todd Ramasar, Davis' agent, told USA TODAY. "Baron was really disappointed with them losing the first round of the playoffs. I want to put him in the position where he can contend for a title or at least be in a position where he can reach the NBA Finals."

Davis, 25, is in the second year of a six-year, $85 million contract and the Hornets said that while there are some issues that need to be addressed, they will not trade him.

"We've got to straighten out some things," Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said but would not go into any details. "He's our franchise player. There's no possibility we'll trade him. We have no intention of even inquiring about trading Baron."

Davis didn't name a specific team he would like to play for but Ramasar said that his client would be a good fit with teams such as New York, Phoenix, the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami.

"I trust my agent," Davis said. "He has my best interests at heart. I'm just focused to play well in the NBA."

Ramasar said he and Davis had hoped the Hornets would add a veteran to help Davis carry the scoring load. Davis averaged a career-high 22.9 points per game last season but to get it he averaged 40 minutes a game, eighth in the league.

"I think it's too much pressure that the Hornets are putting on Baron as an All-Star to carry that team," Ramasar said.

Davis met with Hornets officials following their first-round loss to Miami in May and told them that he believed they needed to upgrade the roster. The Hornets' only moves have been to sign forwards Rodney Rogers and Chris Andersen and guard Alex Garcia. They also drafted high school star J.R. Smith.

Yes, they said they had no interest in it. Things are out of control with these players. "Wah,wha, boo hoo, I want a trade." Just shut up and play, already.

I agree. The old "I wanna win a championship, so trade me" routine has gotten really, really old. What will a championship mean for that player anyway? Does Baron Davis think that if he helps Kobe Bryant or some other greater superstar reach a championship the endorsements will pour in? At least as a franchise player on a lesser team, you will be more than a side-note to a greater superstar. Additionally, if he wants to win big, he needs to step up and win one with his team; he carries the team so who can he blame for losing in the first round of the playoffs? The man in the mirror.

Baron's got no leverage in this situation... With four years left on his contract, what's he going to do if Hornets management doesn't fulfill his trade request? Sit out?

Sorry Baron. Your team is going to be the doormat of the new Midwest division, your best basketball years will be spent playing superb garbage basketball for a terrible losing team, and no trade demand is going to be able to fish you out of that toilet for at least for 2-3 years.

Baron is just as likely as Peja to be traded. Then again, a Baron for Carter trade works straight up, and Carter does want to play with Magliore. However, that leaves the Hornets with a glut at SF, and Toronto the same at PG. Not likely I guess. Baron and Peja are both in the realm of borderline stars--not superstars-- that want to be traded but arent big enough to demand it and get it like Shaq and TMac.

Reading the article closely, it says that Davis actually doesnt want a trade, it's advice given to him by his agent. This is a disturbing trend in the NBA, and if the agents are a part of it, the league needs to do something to put things to an end. Then agian, if the players arent dealt anyway, it doesnt do much good then does it?

Peja has more power to effect a trade than Baron does because of the shorter length of his contract. If the Kings can't placate lucky #16 and convince him to rescind his trade request, they would risk absolute disaster by keeping the unhappy small-forward, because at worst, he might be inclined to walk away and leave the Kings uncompensated for his loss in two years time, or at best Sacramento would be forced to make a possibly speciously valuable trade to avoid that loss (That's the sharp edge of his threat, and the base of his bargaining power).

Poor old Baron can't make any such threat, which is why his (or his agent's) trade demand seems very limp and silly to me...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm going out on a big limb and predicting that all of this will come to a head when Shawn Bradley demands a trade, citing his desire to play on a team where he will truly be appreciated...

VF21 said:
I'm going out on a big limb and predicting that all of this will come to a head when Shawn Bradley demands a trade, citing his desire to play on a team where he will truly be appreciated...
Ugggghh.... That would be a black, black day in the history of the Mavs. Thankfully, I think Big Don will be gone before old #44 is ready to demand a trade, or retire and put away those pointy elbows of his, so I will not worry my troubled brow about such a terrible eventuality on this particular night. (I have long predicted to my fellow Mavs fans, that the hallowed jersey number of the All-Time Leading Shot-Blocker in Mavericks History will one day hang proudly in the rafters of the AA Center, and I still remain confident that my prediction will happily come to pass)...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Davis needs to acomplish something before he tries to throw his weith arround. I have to love these guys who hold out for max contracts, sap the resouces of small and young teams then whine about not wining enough. Perhaps if hewould give back half his salery the Hornets could sign a few quality FA's to help him out. JAVC! (Just Another Vince Carter)

Evilmav2 said:
Ugggghh.... That would be a black, black day in the history of the Mavs. Thankfully, I think Big Don will be gone before old #44 is ready to demand a trade, or retire and put away those pointy elbows of his, so I will not worry my troubled brow about such a terrible eventuality on this particular night. (I have long predicted to my fellow Mavs fans, that the hallowed jersey number of the All-Time Leading Shot-Blocker in Mavericks History will one day hang proudly in the rafters of the AA Center, and I still remain confident that my prediction will happily come to pass)...
If Brad Davis' jersey can hang from those rafters, there's no reason Bradley's can't.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
The Freak said:
What is the NBA coming to? Just watch.. Dirk's going to demand a trade to Phoenix to chill with his old pal. ;)
You mean his old drinking buddy? Remember those old pictures of the 2 of them smashed on their ***? Bwahahahahahaha!! :D

Well, I think that this whole "trade me" phase can be attributed to the fact that Baron Davis, Shaq, Peja, and Vince Carter all share the same agent... Michael Finley.

what makes him think that new orleans is going to ship him out now that they are in the western conference. they're going to need all the help they can get:D