Darius Will Opt Out of Contract

Sadly some team will pay 4 million for Darius, and since that 4 million will be 8 million to us in cap penalty.

Nice knowing you Darius, hopefully you'll have fun playing in Charlotte or whatever team will give that money to you.

Bricklayer said:
Now we are in the position of having to use our exceptions just to bring back the players we have already lost (Mo, Mobley, Darius) this summer, if we're even interested. Barring complete front office paralysis this is shaping up as possibly one of the most dramatic offseasons of change in the Kings time in Sacto. There was '99, and '90 before that. We still have 9 players under contract (assuming we have picked up Bobby, and Tag does opt in), but they're mismatched pieces of middling value.
Not so sure that we would have to use the exceptions on all three. Mo would require the use of part of the Mid-level, whatever that may be. Mobley can be used in a sign and trade if all parties agree without using an exception.

Darius should be no surprise. It would not surprise me if this was discussed when he re-signed for less last summer. He possibly took less in the short run looking at the options long term. (as far as I understand) The deal he spurned was a low multi-year contract and he would have been locked in. By re-signing with the Kings last summer, it allowed him to get the "early bird rights" with them. According to the terms of the previous CBA, the Kings can re-sign him upto the mid-level without using an exception. (how the new CBA will affect that remains to be seen)

VF21 said:

It's my humble opinion the effects of the Christie and Webber trades may just now be truly starting to show.
I don't think this move is related to those trades. I think the deal he signed last summer was for this reason. It left him options which he is now using. I hope the Kings can work the deal that keeps him a King and is beneficial to all parties.

So how long does a player have to be with the team so we can have the early bird right on him??????

I thought it was 3 years and I think Darius has been with us for 2 years and had the option for 3rd :confused:

3 years = Bird Rigths

2 years = Early Bird Rights

Early Bird Rights limits the contract we can offer him to no more than 175% of previous year, or MLE - whichever is greater. So if another team wants to offer more than MLE and we choose to match, it counts against the cap.

Two years give early bird rights, three give full bird rights.

The early bird rights allow a team to re-sign a player upto the mid-level amount without having to use a exception.

Jose said:
So if another team wants to offer more than MLE and we choose to match, it counts against the cap.
At that point, you have to have cap room or you can't do it. GS lost Gilbert Arenas because they were over the cap and Washington offered more than the MLE.

Also, just because a team as either early or full bird rights doesn't mean that the player has to let them match. If they are unrestricted, they are unrestricted.

Last edited:
A year or two ago, I would be sad if news like this came up. Right now, after losing DC and Webb And Vlade, any news of players possiblly not being here next year doesn't bother me at all. GP is a magician at times and he can create something out of nothing.

Whatever it takes to build a strong, championship contending team is fine with me.

T

thesanityannex

VF21 said:
Right now we have four players who were part of the team for 2003-2004: Bibby, Bobby, Brad and Peja.

That's it...
At least we've kept the most important people from last year............................................................so far!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just_Lurkin said:
That's probably one of the things he's afraid of....
Exactly. And that's the one thing I think is a direct result of the Christie and Webber trades. Players don't want to sign only to be traded away. Since the organization showed where their emphasis is, we're not going to see players staying here to be part of the something special because the something special no longer exists. And, of everything that's happened, I think that's the part that saddens me the most.

whozit said:
I don't think this move is related to those trades.
We'll have to agree to disagree because I firmly believe and will til my dying day that if Webber hadn't been traded, Darius would have not opted out. The message has been sent to players that no one is safe, and that regardless of what they may be told, they can and might be traded "for the good of the team." Darius isn't stupid; nor is his agent. Why should he opt in for one more year with the Kings only to end up in some package deal going somewhere else?

IMHO people simply aren't realizing the significance of trading Chris Webber mid-season, especially for what we got in return. It did NOTHING to give any of our remaining players any kind of feeling of security and, regardless of what is said about the NBA being a business, the players are human and they like to think they're at least going to be given some consideration. Chris Webber, a true King among Kings, was blindsided by a last-day trade. That, in and of itself, speaks volumes. Whether it was a good trade or not is immaterial. The way it was done was stunning to say the least...and it sent a message that won't soon be forgotten.

VF21 said:
Exactly. And that's the one thing I think is a direct result of the Christie and Webber trades. Players don't want to sign only to be traded away. Since the organization showed where their emphasis is, we're not going to see players staying here to be part of the something special because the something special no longer exists. And, of everything that's happened, I think that's the part that saddens me the most.
I'm sorry I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Trades are part of the NBA which is a business. IMO Darius is opting out because he and his agent believe he can get more money. PERIOD! Really, wouldn't he be foolish not to opt out? Why take a chance on an injury playing for 1.7 million when a team like the Hawks may offer you a mulit year deal starting at 3-5 million a year.There is always the chance he could end up back with the Kings.

I haven't read or heard anything implying that players are leary of the Kings organization. The message was sent to the players that we want a championship! It may be a bit rough getting there but that's the goal.

It's all about the $$$.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have no problem agreeing to disagree with you, GM. ;)

I will also disagree that the message sent was that we want a championship but, because it involves the old argument about the Webber trade, I won't bother to restate everything that's been argued before.

Regardless of which side we stand on the various issues, however, I think there's one thing we can agree on: Petrie has to do SOMETHING. And it's going to be very interesting to see what he is able to accomplish.

vj9999 said:
GP is a magician at times and he can create something out of nothing.
The real trick he performed this year, might just have been making nothing out of something
. The Maloofs are going to have to stay over the cap and spend some money or we are going to be in trouble. Kenny's contract looks real hard to move (even in a multiplayer deal) at this point... Brutal.

F

Fillmoe

KP said:
The real trick he performed this year, might just have been making nothing out of something
. The Maloofs are going to have to stay over the cap and spend some money or we are going to be in trouble. Kenny's contract looks real hard to move (even in a multiplayer deal) at this point... Brutal.
have faith young padawan

I'm late - but I'm saddened by this news. He's one of the players I really wanted to see back next season. I'm gonna miss him. :(

But i agree - this is one of the repercussions of the Webber trade.

fishgirl said:
But i agree - this is one of the repercussions of the Webber trade.
Not to be difficult-But how can anyone say that??

The shock would have been if he did not opt out! Is he worth more than 1.7 million? Apparently, he thinks he is and I agree. I would hazard a guess that he knew he would opt out before the season even started. Barring an injury or bad year it's the ONLY smart thing to do.

Why, as a player would you accept less money than you are worth? It makes no sense. Also, this doesn't mean he will not be back with the team. It only means he thinks he is worth more than 1.7 million next season . He's is opting out for the same reason Bobby Jackson is glad the team is picking up his contract=ECONOMICS!

Last edited:
He opted out. This is another one of those things that doesn't surprise me one bit. This has nothing to do with the fallout of any trades!

He was getting paid less than he is probably worth, but in my opinion he really isn't going to cammand much more $$$. He will probably get twice is old contract for a longer term. If that is with the Kings I don't know and to be honest, I for one wouldn't like seeing him gone, but if some team wants to overpay him, best of luck!

SacTownKid said:
He opted out. This is another one of those things that doesn't surprise me one bit. This has nothing to do with the fallout of any trades!

He was getting paid less than he is probably worth, but in my opinion he really isn't going to cammand much more $$$. He will probably get twice is old contract for a longer term. If that is with the Kings I don't know and to be honest, I for one wouldn't like seeing him gone, but if some team wants to overpay him, best of luck!

:eek: I agree with STK for once. shocker:p

G_M said:
Not to be difficult-But how can anyone say that??

The shock would have been if he did not opt out! Is he worth more than 1.7 million? Apparently, he thinks he is and I agree. I would hazard a guess that he knew he would opt out before the season even started. Barring an injury or bad year it's the ONLY smart thing to do.

Why, as a player would you accept less money than you are worth? It makes no sense. Also, this doesn't mean he will not be back with the team. It only means he thinks he is worth more than 1.7 million next season . He's is opting out for the same reason Bobby Jackson is glad the team is picking up his contract=ECONOMICS!
Yeah, now that I've had more time to digest this, I see how that trade comment (I made) was off. I was solely thinking along the lines of job security. I also agree that he was paid less than he's worth, so I hope things will work out that he gets a figure he deserves... Thanks for letting me see the view! ;)