Darius Songaila Watch

Andriod_KiNg said:
He has been in the NBA for a while, a proven Double-Double guy, i think some one will want to look his way, Alot of teams in the east could use him....
A little too optimistic but if it works out, it will be really great for us. What about just waving him? That would give us some salary cap relief.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, it wouldn't. You still have to pay the salary for waived players. You just don't have to pay the luxury tax on him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
bibbyweb said:
So isn't it still saving money?
Only the Maloofs' money -- doesn't do us a bit of good when it comes to acquiring players, so you'd really rather have a serviceable player than just giving Joe and Gavin enough cash to buy some more gold chains.

Bricklayer said:
Only the Maloofs' money -- doesn't do us a bit of good when it comes to acquiring players, so you'd really rather have a serviceable player than just giving Joe and Gavin enough cash to buy some more gold chains.
I still don't get it. Correct me if I am wrong.
According to what I understand, if we waive KT off, we will have to pay 7 million or whatever amount it is as luxury tax. So if we get a player for 3.5 million and then pay 3.5 million as luxury tax, we are still paying the same amount but can have a more useful player or could pay some for a better player.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
bibbyweb said:
I still don't get it. Correct me if I am wrong.
According to what I understand, if we waive KT off, we will have to pay 7 million or whatever amount it is as luxury tax. So if we get a player for 3.5 million and then pay 3.5 million as luxury tax, we are still paying the same amount but can have a more useful player or could pay some for a better player.
Ok, how to explain:

1) There is a salary cap, this year its $48 mil or something

2) If you go over the cap, you can't pick up extra players except with several exceptions which are granted to every team -- a midlevel exception, a lowlevel exception.

3) There is also a luxury tax which is placed on teams that greatly exceed the cap. Not sure wher the barrier is this year, but let's just say $55mil. If you go over it, basically every dollar extra spent costs you double. If you're at $58 mil and exceed the tax threhhold by $3 mil, then you pay an extra $3 mil (for a total of $6 mil, as if you're payroll was actually $61 mil, rather than $58mil).

4) this one time waiver deal allows teams to waive a player and avoid the TAX, but has no effect on their overall salary at all.

5) THUS, if we had a salary of $58 milion, and waived Thomas and his $6million dollar contract, we would NOT be counted as having a $52 million salary. We would still have $58 million in salary. Its just that the extra money we would pay for being over the tax limit (the $3mil over the $55 mil tax threhhold) would not count double. But we are still at $58 million, still can't sign anybody except with an exception. Still can't gain anymore players. Still am paying KTs $6-#7million salary for the rest of the decade. The ONLY advantage is to the Maloofs in not paying a $3 million tax. But for the team, we've just lost a player, are going to keep on paying him anyway, still can't sign anybody except with the exceptions, and now will have $6-$7 million (about 15% of the cap) that's just non-productive and totally wasted for another 5 years. No chance to trade it away. No chance to get a player with it. Just wasted.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Or, in other words:

You have a car. It's a very expensive car, you're still paying on it and will be for a long time. You have to pay extra on your insurance because the car is very expensive. You like the car but it doesn't really meet your needs AND in order to keep it you have to pay that expensive insurance. So, you can:
1. Keep the car. Continue making the payments and pay the insurance.
2. Trade the car in on two cars that have the same value as the first. You'll still have to pay for insurance, but you'll now have two cars instead of one, and two lower car payments instead of one big one.
3. Junk the car. You won't have to pay any insurance at all. But you'll still be making those huge car payments for something you no longer own.

If we waive Thomas, it's like junking the car. We're still stuck paying (his salary) for something we no longer have.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
VF21 said:
KT is worth his weight in gold? Worth every penny his contract pays him? Well, let's see...

Gold is going at $432.60 an ounce. (Close of business Friday - NY Metals Market)

Kenny Thomas weighs, as of his official bio on NBA.com, 245 pounds or 3920 ounces. That would put his weight in gold at $1,695,792.

Unfortunately, on July 16, 2003, Thomas signed a 7-year contract for $50 million. Without figuring in the proportional raises, etc. that means about $7 million a year. Far in excess of his weight in gold...
VF21 wins the thread.

Kenny's weight in gold would be worth less than $1.7M, maybe about $1.5M because gold is measured in troy ounces. So Kenny definitely isn't worth his contract value. Great observation by VF21. Actually shocking.

sackingsgirl said:
Darius is a solid play we need to keep in on board. He can always come in and hit the jumper
Sinking ship comes to mind. Darius should just go to San Antonio where all the good roleplayers go.

Bricklayer said:
Ok, how to explain:

1) There is a salary cap, this year its $48 mil or something

2) If you go over the cap, you can't pick up extra players except with several exceptions which are granted to every team -- a midlevel exception, a lowlevel exception.

3) There is also a luxury tax which is placed on teams that greatly exceed the cap. Not sure wher the barrier is this year, but let's just say $55mil. If you go over it, basically every dollar extra spent costs you double. If you're at $58 mil and exceed the tax threhhold by $3 mil, then you pay an extra $3 mil (for a total of $6 mil, as if you're payroll was actually $61 mil, rather than $58mil).

4) this one time waiver deal allows teams to waive a player and avoid the TAX, but has no effect on their overall salary at all.

5) THUS, if we had a salary of $58 milion, and waived Thomas and his $6million dollar contract, we would NOT be counted as having a $52 million salary. We would still have $58 million in salary. Its just that the extra money we would pay for being over the tax limit (the $3mil over the $55 mil tax threhhold) would not count double. But we are still at $58 million, still can't sign anybody except with an exception. Still can't gain anymore players. Still am paying KTs $6-#7million salary for the rest of the decade. The ONLY advantage is to the Maloofs in not paying a $3 million tax. But for the team, we've just lost a player, are going to keep on paying him anyway, still can't sign anybody except with the exceptions, and now will have $6-$7 million (about 15% of the cap) that's just non-productive and totally wasted for another 5 years. No chance to trade it away. No chance to get a player with it. Just wasted.

OK. Got the point. Thanks a lot.

VF21 said:
We will agree to disagree although I have to question your use of a couple of superlatives:

KT is worth his weight in gold? Worth every penny his contract pays him? Well, let's see...

Gold is going at $432.60 an ounce. (Close of business Friday - NY Metals Market)

Kenny Thomas weighs, as of his official bio on NBA.com, 245 pounds or 3920 ounces. That would put his weight in gold at $1,695,792.

Unfortunately, on July 16, 2003, Thomas signed a 7-year contract for $50 million. Without figuring in the proportional raises, etc. that means about $7 million a year. Far in excess of his weight in gold...

Now about that other point:

Heart and determination? Perhaps. A tendency to put his own needs above those of the team? Apparently, based on his early dissatisfaction with his playing time. Kenny Thomas is a good player, but he's not the Michael Jordan impact player some people want to believe.

If we could get a decent defender and/or BIGGER PF for him, I'd not only approve of the trade, I'd actually volunteer to drive him to the airport.

He may be good, but he's more a SF than anything else - especially in the West. And, last time I looked, we already had a pretty decent SF.
Yeah, I have no problem agreeing with you on the him being a SF, as I stated in a few previous posts, I would love to move Peja to the SG position, even with the drafting of Garcia and already having K-Mart. Then we could go after a PF with draft picks and/or players like Corliss. I like the idea of bringing in Reggie Evans at PF, he's a good rebounder that plays decent D...we dont need him to score, and with Peja moving to the SG, or as I like to call it, the 'Power Guard' position, at 6'10, that would create mismatches.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Another valid question is whether or not Darius would even want to stay if he was parked behind Skinner/Thomas/Corliss. I have Darius a little farther back in the depth chart since the Webber trade.

A

AriesMar27

SacTownKid said:
Another valid question is whether or not Darius would even want to stay if he was parked behind Skinner/Thomas/Corliss. I have Darius a little farther back in the depth chart since the Webber trade.
i really dont see thomas returning or even corliss, eventhough he should be playing sf and not pf....

thank you ariesmar27. exactly just like everyone's saying. thomas (if he returns) should be playing the sf position and skinner(if he returns) playing the pf position rather than having a 6'7 pf and 6'7 center. anyways to me songalia should stay, were gonna regret it just like jim jackson and hedo, songalia has an offensive and defensive mindset and he is a great player off the bench, i think this means keep songalia and somehow get rid of thomas and corliss (i don't know trade 'em for someone BIG).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, everyone isn't saying Thomas SHOULD play the SF. (And AriesMar27 was far from the first to say it, BTW...) ;)

We already have a small forward... What most people are saying is that on most teams KT would be better suited to play the SF, instead of the PF we have to use him as.

Personally, I think KT should be coming off the bench - and that's not something he's at all enthusiastic about doing. If we can't move his contract and do manage to get a genuine big, then KT is not going to be a happy camper.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^^You went back three weeks to add that? ;)

Right now, there's nothing brewing about Darius that's getting any kind of publicity. The Kings did make a qualifying offer for him, so unless another team betters it, he WILL be back next year.

VF21 said:
Personally, I think KT should be coming off the bench - and that's not something he's at all enthusiastic about doing. If we can't move his contract and do manage to get a genuine big, then KT is not going to be a happy camper.
and, if Kenny Thomas is unhappy, we are all going to know about it.

VF21 said:
^^^You went back three weeks to add that? ;)

Right now, there's nothing brewing about Darius that's getting any kind of publicity. The Kings did make a qualifying offer for him, so unless another team betters it, he WILL be back next year.
The Nets/Sixers/Sonics have "mentioned" him more than twice. The Nets the most, much more than 3 times.

Whatever that means, but, I don't really know what'll happen with Darius. I'd like to keep him, but I'd be okay if he's gone, especially in a trade.

Thomas is either going to be used in a trade, or if that doesn't go down, probably use the amnesty clause on him. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They aren't going to use the "amnesty clause" on Kenny Thomas because we'd still be stuck with his salary. He's not a bad player, he's just not the right player for our team IMHO and his contract stretches out forever.

People really need to understand the ramifications of this one-time process:

Each team will be given a one-time option this summer to waive one player from its roster and receive luxury tax relief. The team will still have to pay the player and his salary will still count against the cap, but the team won't have to pay a luxury tax on his salary. For example, the Knicks' Allan Houston might a candidate to be waived because of this rule.
It would not help us in any way, shape or form to waive Thomas.

Replying to the bold:

As in, I've already learned of the details of the amnesty clause option. It's been all over the net ever since early this month. I assumed you pasted that to try and show me (included in the "people", since it was in relation to what I posted) whats behind the clause.

I meant to take out the "as" in the last sentence also.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, thank you.

Yes, I was replying to you but I also think there are a lot of people on this board and elsewhere that don't really understand that it isn't a clean slate type scenario. So, although you already understood, hopefully it might clarify it for someone else.

;)