Coronavirus

Runny nose isn't a symptom of coronavirus. If you have respiratory, shortness of breath time to worry. Sounds more like allergies or sinus infection. I've had a sinus infection for 3+ weeks. I get them yearly during allergy season.

I got a finger tip pulse oximeter off of amazon this week. You can track your blood oxygen saturation levels. If they get lower it's a sign a potential respiratory problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LO3DCAC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
yeah I know but if your wife could die you tend to prefer to take no chances.

Talk about a Friday news dump, looks like my job will be severely curtailed until the end of April. Most everyone we work with cancelled in the last hour and looks like the university directive is towards online learning for most of spring term. I do think these are the right measures. But damn.

Thankfully I have a huge backlog of paperwork I can do from home.

I have never been through like a hurricane or something that caused people to stock up and horde.
But went to the grocery store and I was amazed, no milk, eggs, dry goods like pasta and the such plus the meat department was like pretty much empty.
Amazing what a panic folks are going threw.

I have never been through like a hurricane or something that caused people to stock up and horde.
But went to the grocery store and I was amazed, no milk, eggs, dry goods like pasta and the such plus the meat department was like pretty much empty.
Amazing what a panic folks are going threw.
TDOS thread suggestion; rice and bean recipe sharing!

Then I guess when anybody has flu-like symptoms at your workplace, you're in favor of sending everybody home? Indefinitely? The idea is to isolate the people sick with the virus, not isolate the entire society who don't have the virus. Good bye America if that happens.
that is why testing being available is so critical. Without it your only option is to have people self quarantine.

I had to post cause there is so much bad info out here right now.

My good friend is a scientist at one of the companies in San Diego working on developing test kits for this virus. They are having serious problems developing a reliable test kit that doesn’t give false positives. They have been working non stop along with other companies in San Diego. She said they could have kits on the market tomorrow but they wouldn’t be reliable at all. Unfortunately her lab group was quarantined at their homes because one of her group got sick so they are out of commission for the time being. This entire situation is a mess.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I live in the mountains, which most of you know. It's an hour to the closest real stores. When we go shopping, we normally stock up - especially in the winter when snow could cause us to be homebound for days or even weeks at a time. Thus, I've usually got enough dry goods, personal items, etc. to last a couple of months. Right now, I feel like I'm one bunker away from being a doomsday prepper. Being isolated from the vast majority of humanity has never felt more reassuring. I filled all my gas cans for my generator just in case and I've got tons of firewood in the woodshed. I just wish I had sports to watch. Instead, I'm probably going to catch up on a bunch of my old movies.

Stay safe, fellow Kings fans, and be smart about all this.

I live in the mountains, which most of you know. It's an hour to the closest real stores. When we go shopping, we normally stock up - especially in the winter when snow could cause us to be homebound for days or even weeks at a time. Thus, I've usually got enough dry goods, personal items, etc. to last a couple of months. Right now, I feel like I'm one bunker away from being a doomsday prepper. Being isolated from the vast majority of humanity has never felt more reassuring. I filled all my gas cans for my generator just in case and I've got tons of firewood in the woodshed. I just wish I had sports to watch. Instead, I'm probably going to catch up on a bunch of my old movies.

Stay safe, fellow Kings fans, and be smart about all this.
NBC put their production on hold so no new shows for awhile.

Between 4:45 and 8pm last night we went from work from home when possible to mandatory work from home for just about everyone outside of the hospital.

Even knowing that this is optimal and I am pretty lucky to be safe without losing income there is a huge enthusiasm gap between "I get to work from home" to "I have to work from home". Partially because I know my work would never do this unless it was worse than many still think and partially because I really like the human interaction component of my job and my introvert side tends to take over away from the office.

One good thing that my friend did tell me is China is using her companies equipment to “Sequence the sick”. The more sequences added to the data base, the better the tests and vaccines will be.

She also said that the work they have done, it usually takes months to do. They have done it in weeks. It usually takes years to develop what they are working on. They are hoping to get it done in months.

Had a friend I hung out with on Tuesday and he had a fever with sore throat on Thursday and with everything going on your mind races. But with his live in girlfriend and kid it someone seems like they are sick off and on anyway.

So I have had a slight sore throat but feel fine otherwise but canceled my trip for next week till this all blows over. Pretty sure I would be fine but driving 6 1/2 hours from home and being sick doesn’t add up to fun.

Had a friend I hung out with on Tuesday and he had a fever with sore throat on Thursday and with everything going on your mind races. But with his live in girlfriend and kid it someone seems like they are sick off and on anyway.

So I have had a slight sore throat but feel fine otherwise but canceled my trip for next week till this all blows over. Pretty sure I would be fine but driving 6 1/2 hours from home and being sick doesn’t add up to fun.
Stay well.

I swear every cough or funny feeling has my mind racing. And so much disinformation out there. Thankfully everyone in my house so far seems well, but of course that means nothing.

So I saw something on another forum, the claim is that northern Italy has a lot of Chinese workers in the factories who are constantly travelling back and forth. Chinese labor with a Made in Italy label on the products. This is why Italy has a higher number of cases.

They may have a solid argument.

Here is an article I just found from 2018 about it for designer handbags. Direct flights were created for the workers.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany

Also from the article, Prato in Northern Italy has the 2nd largest Chinese population in Europe behind Paris.
Yes this is correct. Large numbers of small leather goods makers in northern Italy sold to Chinese companies over the past couple decades. Globalism ftw amiright?