Coronavirus

people will believe anything they are fed by the media, do you know the amount of people over 70 that live in Italy?
Wow. Just wow. The healthcare system (meaning hospital beds for the reading impaired) is about to be overwhelmed. This means that they triage other sick people. Meaning that so many beds are full of covid patients that other people are not getting care. Also, they are only treating covid patients that have a chance at surviving. They are letting people die. Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow. The healthcare system (meaning hospital bed for the reading impaired) is about to be overwhelmed. This means that they triage other sick people. Meaning that so many beds are full of covid patients that other people are not getting care. Also, they are only treating covid patients that have a chance at surviving. They are letting people die. Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?
Take it easy.

Have you read the reports coming out of Italy? I'm referring specifically to Italy, and more specifically, northern Italy. Can you people not think through what is happening in a way that includes secondary and tertiary level effects? The main healthcare consequence of this is that because hospitals and other healthcare services will be overwhelmed, non-corona patients will be forced to forego care. You you actually think countries have an unlimited supply of healthcare services? What exactly is your argument?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Modding]

Wow. Just wow. The healthcare system (meaning hospital bed for the reading impaired) is about to be overwhelmed. This means that they triage other sick people. Meaning that so many beds are full of covid patients that other people are not getting care. Also, they are only treating covid patients that have a chance at surviving. They are letting people die. Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?
Dial it back a skosh.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Alright, alright everyone calm down. This virus is already stressful enough for all of us. I would like Kingsfans.com to remain a safe haven for my anxiety. Somewhere where I can go to talk to random people I've never met and not read coronavirus headlines a dozen times every day.
This seems like a particularly odd thread to click on, in order to achieve that last bit.

Apparently the joke was on them as Japan appears to have weathered the brunt of the storm/gotten a lot of its ducks in order while America has promptly exploded into a situation worse/more panicked than anything over here
Weeks ago I had a friendly disagreement with my wife and family members about covid-19. I predicted that it would become a huge deal, while they thought, like many others, it was all being blown out of proportion.

IMO, that attitude is precisely why I knew it would become a bigger deal. I had researched and learned enough about the virus — such as an infected person not displaying symptoms for up to 12 days (among numerous other factors) — to realize that the manner in which typical american‘s live their lives, along with their casual views on many things would lead to a quick, widespread infection and that would then eventually lead to panic.

Apparently folks here are out in full force buying up and hoarding items such as toilet paper now. :rolleyes:

In short, most here don‘t take things very seriously until it‘s too late. Then they like to panic. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I’m the type that takes things moderately seriously and takes precautions but w/o taking things too far seriously. Most of my adult life I’ve been a germaphobe and don’t touch a lot things in public, such as gas nozzles, door handles, hand rails, etc and always prefer to fist bump folks rather than shake hands. When I end up having to break any of the above rules of thumb, thoroughly washing my hands is always the first thing on my mind and what I try to do. So none of these newly emphasized practices are new for me.

However, I‘ve long known I’m in the vast minority. Which is why I felt strongly this current pandemic would spiral as it has. Most just aren’t accustomed to thinking about or worrying about such things. And in America we tend to be a lot less mindful of others and in our own little worlds. Worst of all, we have an overblown sense of safety and security. However, once that protective armor is cracked open, it becomes full on panic time.

For me, I take precautions and avoid doing certain things. But I won’t go as far as locking myself up in my house and not going out to do things. I won’t panic and start hoarding things. In consideration of recent events, I’ll probably avoid eating anything my wife and i didn’t cook and prepare ourselves for a while, but I won’t avoid going out to do and experience things. Per usual, I’ll be mindful to keep to my own personal space and avoid touching people or other things and always wash up.

I just wish more people grew up with or developed the same regular habits and pushed them hard on their children.

I'm from Italy so I want to tell you how it is over here. You are underestimating the problem, it's not that we are afraid of dying or what, it's the fact that this virus is much more contagious than a normal flu, and it requires intensive care for a lot of people who got the virus (around 20%). The complete lockdown is due to the fact that otherwise hospitals would not be able to keep up with all the people needing treatment. We are already over the full capability, at one point you need to decide who you are going to cure and who you're not. This is the situation. Here nobody under the age of 50 died, and pretty much everyone who died had existing health issues.
Just to make an example, a doctor yesterday was saying that due to the huge amount of people hospitalized, if you have an hearth attack and you call an ambulance, you can wait for like an hour. Normally you wait 10/20 minutes. You understand that this is the difference between living and dying.

I wouldn't underestimate the problem. You are in the same situation we were 3 weeks ago. And, with all the problems we have in Italy, at least we have one of the best health care system in the world. Can you imagine what would happen in a country where many people won't have the chance to get proper treatments?

You think that Silver overreacted, he did not. It's better to stop everything immediately, if you don't want your hospitals to collapse and to see people dying because of that. Maybe, like me, you are young and not afraid of the virus. But it's not about us. What if you get it, you pass it to your parents or other relatives? Would you take that risk?
I wholeheartedly agree with this. This is already a busy time of the year. My hospital went into diversion around 1 week ago due to influx of patients and that was even before we start getting corona virus patient that require individual isolation room. Resource is limited and we are only in the beginning stage of this here

Weeks ago I had a friendly disagreement with my wife and family members about covid-19. I predicted that it would become a huge deal, while they thought, like many others, it was all being blown out of proportion.

IMO, that attitude is precisely why I knew it would become a bigger deal. I had researched and learned enough about the virus — such as an infected person not displaying symptoms for up to 12 days (among numerous other factors) — to realize that the manner in which typical american‘s live their lives, along with their casual views on many things would lead to a quick, widespread infection and that would then eventually lead to panic.

Apparently folks here are out in full force buying up and hoarding items such as toilet paper now. :rolleyes:

In short, most here don‘t take things very seriously until it‘s too late. Then they like to panic. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I’m the type that takes things moderately seriously and takes precautions but w/o taking things too far seriously. Most of my adult life I’ve been a germaphobe and don’t touch a lot things in public, such as gas nozzles, door handles, hand rails, etc and always prefer to fist bump folks rather than shake hands. When I end up having to break any of the above rules of thumb, thoroughly washing my hands is always the first thing on my mind and what I try to do. So none of these newly emphasized practices are new for me.

However, I‘ve long known I’m in the vast minority. Which is why I felt strongly this current pandemic would spiral as it has. Most just aren’t accustomed to thinking about or worrying about such things. And in America we tend to be a lot less mindful of others and in our own little worlds. Worst of all, we have an overblown sense of safety and security. However, once that protective armor is cracked open, it becomes full on panic time.

For me, I take precautions and avoid doing certain things. But I won’t go as far as locking myself up in my house and not going out to do things. I won’t panic and start hoarding things. In consideration of recent events, I’ll probably avoid eating anything my wife and i didn’t cook and prepare ourselves for a while, but I won’t avoid going out to do and experience things. Per usual, I’ll be mindful to keep to my own personal space and avoid touching people or other things and always wash up.

I just wish more people grew up with or developed the same regular habits and pushed them hard on their children.
While your overall characterization of Americans is true, the severity of this situation is due to a breakdown on a governmental crisis management level and not an individual one. The panic has more to do with people realizing the institutions that were in place that kept them feeling safe for so long are no longer functioning effectively and they are more or less on their own in protecting themselves. They are determining for themselves what the best way to handle that is.

Whereas in some other countries, they are able to follow the path set out for them by the experts they hold trust in. Everyone is on the same page and the hoarding, every man for himself doesn't come into effect as much.

Mostly avoiding all temptation to do anything but hold course. Thankfully I'm nowhere near retirement and I'm overinvested in bonds right now, but hearing those took a beating today. Good lord.
Depends on the bonds. I did the same some time ago, since I thought stocks were irrationally overpriced and that a major correction was in the works. As of right now, my retirement account is +.83% for the calendar year.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Depends on the bonds. I did the same some time ago, since I thought stocks were irrationally overpriced and that a major correction was in the works. As of right now, my retirement account is +.83% for the calendar year.
Mix of them really. I'm not worried and realize my worst case is still pretty bright. But it's also the first major dip that has come since I've actually started looking towards life after work as well as the first test of my personal investment plan since I developed it a few years back.

Mostly avoiding all temptation to do anything but hold course. Thankfully I'm nowhere near retirement and I'm overinvested in bonds right now, but hearing those took a beating today. Good lord.
Yeah, need to stay the course. I’ve chatted with a few financial advisers and Fidelity on whether I should move stuff around from stocks to more bonds during this time (I’ve actually opted to increase my contributions). While I am about 25 years away from retirement, it just sucks watching it plummet this last week and a half because I was already playing catch-up after being young and dumb and not taking advantage of my 401k until later in life. Definitely stressing that to my kids as they get older....let’s hope they don’t blow me off the way I did to my dad when he preached this stuff to me back in the day lol

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah, need to stay the course. I’ve chatted with a few financial advisers and Fidelity on whether I should move stuff around from stocks to more bonds during this time (I’ve actually opted to increase my contributions). While I am about 25 years away from retirement, it just sucks watching it plummet this last week and a half because I was already playing catch-up after being young and dumb and not taking advantage of my 401k until later in life. Definitely stressing that to my kids as they get older....let’s hope they don’t blow me off the way I did to my dad when he preached this stuff to me back in the day lol
I missed a good chunk of the last run because I lost my job after my divorce and took an extended mental/physical health break. But I also had a ton of option paralysis and I finally figured out (I think) what will work for me a few years back. Hopefully my son will learn from my mistakes.

They were saying on CNN that THINK the current 3% of mortality rate will drop over time. This is probably based upon what I was saying yesterday that once they get a hold of how many people have the virus, they will realize that the death rate is quite a bit lower than they thought. This is my opinion anyway. I still think there are probably thousands of people that already have it and just think they have a mild bug.

People only look at mortality rate and overlook what the virus could do to your body. There are patients who lost 30% of lung capacity after recovering from the virus.

People only look at mortality rate and overlook what the virus could do to your body. There are patients who lost 30% of lung capacity after recovering from the virus.
It CAN, but it doesn't mean it will. Mostly from what I've read from "the Atlantic" as well as other medical sources, say that permanent damages is much more likely to happen to those who have more severe symptoms, and I would think probably smokers as well. But even that's not a death sentence, they may just have to be on medication for a long time.

I personally think the virus will burn itself out over time. So we just need to try and best to limit the cases until that happens....

I'm a germ-phobic, so I rarely even get the flu, even when everyone I work with get it, just because I'm extremely careful.... I only say this because it allows me to spend all my energy making sure my older relatives don't get it....I'm basically teaching them what has kept me from getting sick most of my life...

It CAN, but it doesn't mean it will. Mostly from what I've read from "the Atlantic" as well as other medical sources, say that permanent damages is much more likely to happen to those who have more severe symptoms, and I would think probably smokers as well. But even that's not a death sentence, they may just have to be on medication for a long time.

I personally think the virus will burn itself out over time. So we just need to try and best to limit the cases until that happens....

I'm a germ-phobic, so I rarely even get the flu, even when everyone I work with get it, just because I'm extremely careful.... I only say this because it allows me to spend all my energy making sure my older relatives don't get it....I'm basically teaching them what has kept me from getting sick most of my life...
I mean....I guess this doesn't matter if the only measurement one cares about is fatality rate. But somehow I don't think I would consider this whole thing not so bad if I lost 30% of my lung capacity to it. Or if I lost a relative to a heart attack because an overcrowded ER couldn't help them due to medical professionals being overwhelmed with the 20% who have severe reactions to the virus and require life saving attention.

I mean....I guess this doesn't matter if the only measurement one cares about is fatality rate. But somehow I don't think I would consider this whole thing not so bad if I lost 30% of my lung capacity to it. Or if I lost a relative to a heart attack because an overcrowded ER couldn't help them due to medical professionals being overwhelmed with the 20% who have severe reactions to the virus and require life saving attention.
I don't know, maybe I tend to look at the glass half full as opposed to the glass half empty.....I've always been a positive optimistic person, which is why I'm so successful in life. This is also why I know that we will get through this, and things will go back to normal eventually.

I'm glad CNN thinks that given they have zero idea what the actual infection rate is, given barely anyone can find a test, nor did they compare to countries like Iran and Italy where the mortality rate has increased.

I think that it's common sense that it will drop. For example if 25,000K+ people in the USA currently have it(which I think is very possible, being how contagious it is) and there are only 41 deaths, then obviously the death rate is well below 3% although it will probably go a bit higher as some of those in serious/critical care lose their battle.

Last edited:
At least part of the asymptomatic carrier problem isn't that they never show symptoms, but that 10% of those infected only show symptoms two weeks later. 10-20 percent of people infected will require hospitalization. Kids under age 8 seem to be shrugging it off pretty well, but most older people will not have such an easy time of it. Early cases were usually misdiagnosed as flu, and there weren't tests available to tell anyone otherwise.

It does start off spreading quietly and unnoticed, but it grows exponentially, so one day everything seems fine, and a few weeks later it's horrible.
even if you are aware good luck getting tested. I had a cough and stuffy nose. I was concerned because I spent time in Santa Clara last week and my wife is high risk. But given all that Kaiser was clear I had no chance in hell of getting tested.

we are way behind other countries in getting tested.

even if you are aware good luck getting tested. I had a cough and stuffy nose. I was concerned because I spent time in Santa Clara last week and my wife is high risk. But given all that Kaiser was clear I had no chance in hell of getting tested.

I wish you guys the best! Hopefully your wife will be okay!
I actually had an appointment next Wednesday to see about a shoulder injury I got from lifting. But I cancelled it...There is no way in hell I'm going to go sit in a waiting room in Kaiser that dozens of other sick people have visited that day.... I'll just wait several months until this thing levels off...

Have you read the reports coming out of Italy? I'm referring specifically to Italy, and more specifically, northern Italy. Can you people not think through what is happening in a way that includes secondary and tertiary level effects? The main healthcare consequence of this is that because hospitals and other healthcare services will be overwhelmed, non-corona patients will be forced to forego care. You you actually think countries have an unlimited supply of healthcare services? What exactly is your argument?
So I saw something on another forum, the claim is that northern Italy has a lot of Chinese workers in the factories who are constantly travelling back and forth. Chinese labor with a Made in Italy label on the products. This is why Italy has a higher number of cases.

They may have a solid argument.

Here is an article I just found from 2018 about it for designer handbags. Direct flights were created for the workers.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany

Also from the article, Prato in Northern Italy has the 2nd largest Chinese population in Europe behind Paris.

Runny nose isn't a symptom of coronavirus. If you have respiratory, shortness of breath time to worry. Sounds more like allergies or sinus infection. I've had a sinus infection for 3+ weeks. I get them yearly during allergy season.

I got a finger tip pulse oximeter off of amazon this week. You can track your blood oxygen saturation levels. If they get lower it's a sign a potential respiratory problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LO3DCAC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I caught the flu earlier this week and did a phone appointment with the doctor. He said since I didn't have breathing problems then I probably didn't have it and am not a candidate to get tested. It's unnerving because not everyone has the exact same symptoms when it comes to this virus so I'm stuck in this limbo where I don't know whether I have it or not. I don't think I do but I can't be sure so now I don't know if I should return to work or what.