Coronavirus

If there are this many existing cases already like this guy is saying, then the death rate is extremely, extremely low!!! Much lower than they are saying as only 38 people in the USA have died so far out of potentially thousands of cases.....
Most people who die of it, don't do so until close to three weeks after they're infected. That skews things an awful lot.

Then I guess when anybody has flu-like symptoms at your workplace, you're in favor of sending everybody home? Indefinitely? The idea is to isolate the people sick with the virus, not isolate the entire society who don't have the virus. Good bye America if that happens.
That's a pretty hot take there homie. Do tell me, how do you know who has it because THE US ISN'T TESTING PEOPLE AND HAS NOT BEEN TESTING PEOPLE SINCE THE VIRUS STARTED.

I'm flabberghasted at the thought impairment on display in this thread.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Anyway.. Take care everyone. You guys are late to the party relative to me and any other folks in Asia, don't freak out too much but treat it with the appropriate seriousness.
Had a major gig in LA cancel on me last week (I was originally supposed to be flying out tonight) because they were afraid of me and the Japanese entertainer I'd be translating for potentially bringing over the coronavirus. Apparently the joke was on them as Japan appears to have weathered the brunt of the storm/gotten a lot of its ducks in order while America has promptly exploded into a situation worse/more panicked than anything over here

Seriously, coronavirus has done wonders for my Netflix cue
I'm pretty curious what will happen when I go in this morning. Going to be an interesting day. I have a lot of events that will be just on the cusp of cancellation depending on how staff are counted in the participant counts and if they go by simultaneous people in a space or people scheduled in a set time period.

I am pretty sure at this point that I will be working from home the entirety of Spring Break though. SO MANY MOVIES! :D

Here's some perspective if you only watch American MSM.

The Italian soccer league Serie A has been playing closed door games with no fans for weeks. Less than two weeks ago fewer than 500 people nation wide tested positive.

Fast forward 11 days and 10K+ are infected, 100+ dying per day. Almost 200 people died today. 2,300 new cases today alone. Despite closed door games multiple players across multiple teams have tested positive. And there's been city wide blockades for days.

My sister in law is barricaded within her apartment by armed guards, can't leave until April 14 at the earliest. For any reason.

Statistically we're about 10 days behind Italy, with a far larger population and far less testing.

It's about damn time someone got on the front foot of this thing in the US.
I have a client, who was on a one year assignment in Shanghai. Shanghai wasn’t on lockdown like Wuhan, but it pretty much was. Everyone self quarantined and barely left their homes. She got on one of the last flights out of China before the ban—took her over a week to get the green light to leave. I remember thinking how surreal things must’ve been for her. Now, that same feeling is here. More than 50% of the bay area is working from home or not working at all. A lot of small businesses are not going to survive this. And a ton of folks are going to get laid off. It's a mess that has likely pushed the world into a global recession.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Had a major gig in LA cancel on me last week (I was originally supposed to be flying out tonight) because they were afraid of me and the Japanese entertainer I'd be translating for potentially bringing over the coronavirus. Apparently the joke was on them as Japan appears to have weathered the brunt of the storm/gotten a lot of its ducks in order while America has promptly exploded into a situation worse/more panicked than anything over here
I know this is OT, but what kind of entertainment do you do?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know this is OT, but what kind of entertainment do you do?
Started out as onstage talent for Japan's largest comedy company, was moderately successful. Being pretty much the only person who spoke English there, I sorta transitioned into being a fixer for some of our international projects (ranging from a Broadway style musical show to magic shows to writing the English script for a robot cafe among other things). Back on the topic of coronavirus, all the live theaters our company runs have been shut down for the entire month along with the spring high school baseball tournament getting cancelled (it's pretty much Japan's version of March Madness), sumo getting held behind closed doors, and the baseball league and soccer league deciding to postpone their opening days.

Also Disneyland's closed here until mid-April. All I had to watch for entertainment since the beginning of March was basketball and now that's gone too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Started out as onstage talent for Japan's largest comedy company, was moderately successful. Being pretty much the only person who spoke English there, I sorta transitioned into being a fixer for some of our international projects (ranging from a Broadway style musical show to magic shows to writing the English script for a robot cafe among other things). Back on the topic of coronavirus, all the live theaters our company runs have been shut down for the entire month along with the spring high school baseball tournament getting cancelled (it's pretty much Japan's version of March Madness), sumo getting held behind closed doors, and the baseball league and soccer league deciding to postpone their opening days.

Also Disneyland's closed here until mid-April. All I had to watch for entertainment since the beginning of March was basketball and now that's gone too.
I figured you for a comedian, it takes one to know one. I've never done stand up publicly but I have a plethora of jokes stashed away in my mind. You still have basketball, as far as I know March Madness will still be held just without the crowds.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Without crowds to energize the teams, get ready to look forward to a lot more of these:

family and friends are able to attend from what I saw so that still ought to count for something. Not really fair to look at a team like Virginia who is national defending champion versus a team like Maine who isn't relevant

people will believe anything they are fed by the media, do you know the amount of people over 70 that live in Italy?
I'm from Italy so I want to tell you how it is over here. You are underestimating the problem, it's not that we are afraid of dying or what, it's the fact that this virus is much more contagious than a normal flu, and it requires intensive care for a lot of people who got the virus (around 20%). The complete lockdown is due to the fact that otherwise hospitals would not be able to keep up with all the people needing treatment. We are already over the full capability, at one point you need to decide who you are going to cure and who you're not. This is the situation. Here nobody under the age of 50 died, and pretty much everyone who died had existing health issues.
Just to make an example, a doctor yesterday was saying that due to the huge amount of people hospitalized, if you have an hearth attack and you call an ambulance, you can wait for like an hour. Normally you wait 10/20 minutes. You understand that this is the difference between living and dying.

I wouldn't underestimate the problem. You are in the same situation we were 3 weeks ago. And, with all the problems we have in Italy, at least we have one of the best health care system in the world. Can you imagine what would happen in a country where many people won't have the chance to get proper treatments?

You think that Silver overreacted, he did not. It's better to stop everything immediately, if you don't want your hospitals to collapse and to see people dying because of that. Maybe, like me, you are young and not afraid of the virus. But it's not about us. What if you get it, you pass it to your parents or other relatives? Would you take that risk?

If anything, people were too chicken$ to be first to do what was right. Now that one person stepped up to take the hit, everyone else is following suit. Considering the high cost of care here and the complete lack of a social safety net in this country it really has just begun. A lot of my colleagues may not get work for a month or more thanks to this.

So, Rudy Gobert "died," so that we could live?
NBA wasn't alone yesterday but they were first sports league to go all the way to cancel. Looks like others including the conference tourneys and Major League Soccer have followed suit. Silver is going to look good. Gobert - well he looks pretty dumb touching all the mics right now, although I doubt that's how he actually got it.

The governors passing large event bans are facing a lot of backlash now but I also believe will be recognized for their leadership in the weeks that follow.