Coronavirus

Its true the safety of the kids come first. Here in Ohio we have closed a few schools for a short time because of the flu before this latest virus showed up on our shores.
I feel for sorry for all of the young folks that have to miss out on a exciting time of their high school days and Marcus has a very bright future ahead of him and wish him the best.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The NBA is having teams make plans if games need to be played without fans.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...n-chance-games-fans-amid-coronavirus-concerns
The San Jose Sharks have been sending out messages about how "games this weekend are planned to take place as normal" or something similar. Sounds like they might be considering the same kind of option. I went to the game last night, and there were definitely a lot of sold seats that were empty - maybe on the order of 10%?

Not what I would have said. I might be disappointed my brother's game was cancelled but the safety of the community is far more important. My niece's school in Sac has been closed as have others.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kings-marvin-bagley-mad-coronavirus-012558439.html
Look further into the situation. Most parents, players, and faculty feel the same as Bagley. There’s no reason they can’t allow the game to be played elsewhere and w/o fan attendance. Their opponent Dublin is allowing their kids to participate.

EDUSD isn’t making much sense here. 6 days isn’t going to solve a thing. Either suspend activities for a couple weeks or don’t do it at all. Their track and baseball teams just had recent participation too. Baseball played yesterday.

Crazy. My sons school district shut Down this week and I had a few in person department meetings this week that were moved to WebEx

So apparently since SF declared the emergency no city owned buildings can host non essential events. The Chase Center is owned by the team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
https://www.wired.com/story/kids-can-get-covid-19-they-just-dont-get-that-sick/

I really don't get closing the schools. Everything I've read and heard is that there is a zero mortality rate for kids. It's the elderly (above 60) that have to worry some. If it's zero mortality rate for kids, then it falls into the category of a "flu" for kids. We don't close schools because of the flu. All of which leads me to believe that's it's a panic cover your rear move by the schools. Ergo, I'm sympathetic to the Bagley viewpoint.

I really don't get closing the schools. Everything I've read and heard is that there is a zero mortality rate for kids. It's the elderly (above 60) that have to worry some. If it's zero mortality rate for kids, then it falls into the category of a "flu" for kids. We don't close schools because of the flu. All of which leads me to believe that's it's a panic cover your rear move by the schools. Ergo, I'm sympathetic to the Bagley viewpoint.
I'm on Bagley's side. But kids bringing illnesses home to their parents or grandparents is a thing. Then spreading it throughout the community from there. The kids or younger adults may be fine. But I'm sure middle aged and senior folks don't appreciate the "not my issue" attitude.

Sign waivers absolving the school of responsibility and play the game in an empty gym.

Kids don't live by themselves. Kids spread the flu and colds around and are typically less concerned about washing their hands.

Looks like they are trying to reverse the CIF decision and let them play in the tournament.

Here locally in Ohio they closed a couple of schools because the flu was running rampant and that was before the Coronavirus came to the states.

I know a few friends with kids and the last couple of years it was hard to remember when someone in the family wasn’t ill during the cold months.

SF just banned fans at the warriors games. Will be interesting how this plays out. Could the warriors sue for compensation of lost revenue ?
I would hope they have insurance policies to cover these type of losses? Similar to when the Kings had to block out fans during the large protests at the arena last year. The Kings played those games with the arena less than half full.

SF just banned fans at the warriors games. Will be interesting how this plays out. Could the warriors sue for compensation of lost revenue ?
They wouldn’t sue and I doubt they would be able to. Public health > private interests. Even if they were able to sue, that wouldn’t go well at all and they’d would have a hell of a time trying justify their revenue. SF is already a ghost town.

Pretty certain G1C will be half full tonight and if I had tickets, I wouldn’t go. This virus isn’t as bad as the news outlets make it out to be, but it’s a zero sum issue. You catch it, you have it, n you risk passing it on to loved ones (especially folks who are seniors and can die from it).

It seems here in Ohio we had our first confirmed community case which means they have no idea where the person contracted it as he has not been traveling and that means it’s out there in the public.

They have put the crack down on access to nursing homes and other health care units like hospitals. The hospital in our town has guards at the doors and if you’re not a relative or have a appointment your not admitted past the door.

They discussed the restrictions on gathering in regards to events and that announcement should be coming out tomorrow they said. There has been talk of the restrictions on the cavaliers games coming soon as well on everything else.

They wouldn’t sue and I doubt they would be able to. Public health > private interests. Even if they were able to sue, that wouldn’t go well at all and they’d would have a hell of a time trying justify their revenue. SF is already a ghost town.

Pretty certain G1C will be half full tonight and if I had tickets, I wouldn’t go. This virus isn’t as bad as the news outlets make it out to be, but it’s a zero sum issue. You catch it, you have it, n you risk passing it on to loved ones (especially folks who are seniors and can die from it).
Not directed at you because I hear it all over. I understand it's to say, no need to panic, just take precautions.

However, to hear, let's say, sports media say something like this sends alarm bells through my head. None of us are doctors or epidemiologists. When folks say, in the past these thing come up and it's never that bad. But the reason it's not bad is because precautions and warnings are given, mitigating the damage.

If CDC and WHO say buckle up, which aren't media, probably should just go with that. I'm with you @kb02.

Not directed at you because I hear it all over. I understand it's to say, no need to panic, just take precautions.

However, to hear, let's say, sports media say something like this sends alarm bells through my head. None of us are doctors or epidemiologists. When folks say, in the past these thing come up and it's never that bad. But the reason it's not bad is because precautions and warnings are given, mitigating the damage.

If CDC and WHO say buckle up, which aren't media, probably should just go with that. I'm with you @kb02.
I have some insight beyond what's in the media. My view is a combination of info from my wife (a biotech scientist), a client (a UCSF infectious diseases expert--CAL & Johns Hopkins), and a cousin in law (who worked at the CDC, has a PHD from CAL in Public Health, and is a professor). It's certainly bad, but not as dire as the media is making it out to be.

I have some insight beyond what's in the media. My view is a combination of info from my wife (a biotech scientist), a client (a UCSF infectious diseases expert--CAL & Johns Hopkins), and a cousin in law (who worked at the CDC, has a PHD from CAL in Public Health, and is a professor). It's certainly bad, but not as dire as the media is making it out to be.
I do epidemiology work and agree, it's not as bad as the public response, which is nuts. In Australia everyone stocked up on toilet paper before we had 100 cases and now the supermarket shelves are empty. Corona virus is respiratory, not gastro. I saw the end of a cycling race in France, the winner was not allowed to receive his yellow jersey on the podium because of coronavirus. So they put it on him before he got in the podium - what is the difference? I think media coverage is largely to blame. I have seen few, if any, balanced pieces, even on sites that portray themselves as sensible. Just worst case headlines and quotes out of context.

Having said that, some people I work with do think there is a case for containment and trying to limit the immediate burden on the healthcare system. If there are too many people needing treatment for coronavirus then emergency help isn't available for others. South Korea got into trouble when one person with corona virus kept attending church services, so public gatherings can go wrong.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member