christmas dinner ideas

any ideas for christmas dinner...I don't feel like the traditional turkey, ham or prime rib....any suggestions????

Duck or chicken is all I can think of for an entree. If you want something unique, I remember one year, as a side, my mother served a mustard mold (renamed 'Mean Mr. Mustard Mold' by us kids!). I have no idea what was in it, but it was good.

Wait, I just found the recipe ingredients. It is suggested to be served as a side for the ham entree.

3/4 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons mustard powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2/3 cup white vinegar
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups heavy cream

My youngest daughter is a vegetarian...she was absolutely die if I made duck...we had an injured duck stay with us for a while...it would be like eating dog to her....she can tolerate us eating meat just not meat that she thinks is "cute".

I am sort of leaning toward lemon chicken over rice...I am not worried about being traditional!

RoyalDiva said:
Duck or chicken is all I can think of for an entree. If you want something unique, I remember one year, as a side, my mother served a mustard mold (renamed 'Mean Mr. Mustard Mold' by us kids!). I have no idea what was in it, but it was good.

Wait, I just found the recipe ingredients. It is suggested to be served as a side for the ham entree.

3/4 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons mustard powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2/3 cup white vinegar
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups heavy cream

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Avoid Vinison.. the kids will just not understand. Rack of lamb?

Or follow my suit, as a beging a vegitarian, I will bake a lental loaf, make mased potatoes with vegie gravey and fresh braised vegitables, and for desert lemon merang pie.

ILV said:
any ideas for christmas dinner...I don't feel like the traditional turkey, ham or prime rib....any suggestions????
try gumbo. it's really good. it has chicken, crab, hot links, shrimp, and rice in it. we have it for christmas every year.;)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Love Gumbo, make it a coupel times a year, and 3 huge baches for my anual Mari Gras party (Seafood Gumbo, File Gumbo, and my specialty Vegetarian Gumbo)

HndsmCelt said:
Love Gumbo, make it a coupel times a year, and 3 huge baches for my anual Mari Gras party (Seafood Gumbo, File Gumbo, and my specialty Vegetarian Gumbo)
I would love the recipe for the vegetarian gumbo....

non vegetarian idea: as an entree, ham. i just buy one of those precooked ones ( NOT IN A CAN!!!!!!) and slather it with pineapple slices, save the juice, pour some in the bottom, also slather some brown sugar on the ham, and put a bunch in the bottom with the pineapple juice. it makes SUCH a good sauce!!!!

a vegetarian idea would be roasted vegetables. very yummy. squashes work very well.

I think I am going to make some ham steaks I got from costco and a leg of lamb, I found a recipe a friend gave me a long time ago that is really good. My daughter can have the sides, I will probably make some kind of rice dish. I think she will eat ham on occasion.

I would love to make the gumbo for new years.

Tamales are good this time of year. Many people at my work make it a family tradition to make them. I'm not hispanic, but that sounds like a good Christmas dinner to me.

ILV, i thought of a great dish for your daughter

grilled portebello mushrooms basted with balsamic vinegar top it with a simple salad made of fresh chopped tomatoes, chucks of mozzeralla, basil and olive oil.

it can be served as the main dish. it's to DIE for.

Evenstar said:
ILV, i thought of a great dish for your daughter

grilled portebello mushrooms basted with balsamic vinegar top it with a simple salad made of fresh chopped tomatoes, chucks of mozzeralla, basil and olive oil.

it can be served as the main dish. it's to DIE for.
that sounds good, I have had the mushrooms before but messed up when I made them ..I bought them one time and made the mistake of marinading in soy sauce...well they soaked up way too much soy sauce and they were unedible!

ILV said:
that sounds good, I have had the mushrooms before but messed up when I made them ..I bought them one time and made the mistake of marinading in soy sauce...well they soaked up way too much soy sauce and they were unedible!
ahhh that sucks.

what you need to do is take the stems off ( throw them away yucky!!) and with a damp cloth, pat them clean. NEVER run a mushroom under water, or soak it, becuase it'll absorb the water and it'll be tough. scrape the gills off. then just rub a little bit of olive oil on them, season them a bit with or salt and pepper, and grill a few minutes on each side. i'd baste with the balsamic vinegar when turning them over, and again when they are done.

also, if you make the salad to put on top, you should take the seeds out of the tomatoes. it'll make it less watery. also, maybe add a splash of the balsamic vinegar to it to tie the flavors together.

it'll be SO good :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That sounds really good Evenstar! I have everything I'd need but the mushrooms. Because of you I think I'll buy them tomorrow morning and give them a try!

Thank you!

VF21 said:
That sounds really good Evenstar! I have everything I'd need but the mushrooms. Because of you I think I'll buy them tomorrow morning and give them a try!

Thank you!
your most very welcome. they are just delicious!!!