Chemistry is overrated

Entity

Hall of Famer
In light of the recent trade of Doug Christie and Vlade's contract not getting picked up in the offseason. Most of the argument against those 2 decisions was team chemistry or locker room leadership. I feel that chemistry i a little bit overrated as the biggest attribute of a team member. If that is a team members only attribute than that team has problems. The Phoenix Suns have 2 new players in the starting line up this year and the other 3 have only played together as starters for 1 year. They currently have the best record in the NBA. Not because of chemistry but because they are all qaulity basketball players that can score 20 on any given night.

The Miami Heat starting lineup has never played together outside of Wade and House for 1 year and they have the second best record in the NBA.

We have had the same core players for a while now and haven't won a championship. Why not change, 1 week before the trade i was wanting Evan to start over Christie just for some change in our rotation. Petrie agreed with me it seems but he went 1 step further. Now we still have several core players that have been together for a while. That is Plenty of chemistry for me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Team chemistry may not be the most important thing, but it is important. Players who come to Sacramento, for the most part, remember it fondly throughout their careers and even many years afterwards because of the chemistry of the team and the team/fan dynamics. They want to come here, and they (with the exceptions of the few who just didn't fit in) don't want to leave. They want to do their best because it's a great place to play and the chemistry among the other members creates an atmosphere of wanting to do one's best.

Chemistry doesn't depend upon how long someone has been with the team although it can be a contributing factor. Chemistry is how well team members respect each other and how willing they are to forego personal glory for the good of the team. The Kings have that - it's not about individual stats, even though the press and the fans love to talk about those things. The guys with the best chemistry are the ones who share a common goal and have the same general idea on how to accomplish that goal. In that regards, it appears Cat is going to fit right in and the vaunted team chemistry stays intact.

Very few people said it wasn't a good trade or didn't at least have the potential to be good. Some were concerned about how well Cat would fit in, but that's about it. From what I saw last night, it appears Cat is going to fit in quite well...

Entity said:
In light of the recent trade of Doug Christie and Vlade's contract not getting picked up in the offseason. Most of the argument against those 2 decisions was team chemistry or locker room leadership. I feel that chemistry i a little bit overrated as the biggest attribute of a team member. If that is a team members only attribute than that team has problems. The Phoenix Suns have 2 new players in the starting line up this year and the other 3 have only played together as starters for 1 year. They currently have the best record in the NBA. Not because of chemistry but because they are all qaulity basketball players that can score 20 on any given night.

The Miami Heat starting lineup has never played together outside of Wade and House for 1 year and they have the second best record in the NBA.

We have had the same core players for a while now and haven't won a championship. Why not change, 1 week before the trade i was wanting Evan to start over Christie just for some change in our rotation. Petrie agreed with me it seems but he went 1 step further. Now we still have several core players that have been together for a while. That is Plenty of chemistry for me.
Sometimes with TEAM CHEMISTRY it only takes one game to develope Good TEAM PLAY.Sometimes it takes years of practice and sometimes only a few months or even a few Days of practice you can never really tell,There is times players hit off fast and other times it takes time to jell.But Team chemistry is very important and can't be overrated ,with the SUNS the chemistry was instant because of the type of player nash is and the type of athletes that he has running with him in MARION and AMARE.With NASH being a point guard that likes to push the ball and enjoys the up tempo play this complements the athleticism of marion and amare so the chemistry was a HIT on sight an instant connection.With the kings it's a little bit tricky because of that they play and with the motion game pete carill Offense they run,The motion of the OFFENSE is alot of memory and probably easy to learn.But the KINGS run a more sophisticated Brand of the motion a Upgrade from the other plagerist of this system to were they run alot of stagger sets that require Detail attention in OVERSTANDING the makeup of this style of Hoop and this part of the Game chemistry is essential.The Real test comes with sharing the ball and thinking pass first with this sytem all 5 guys must have the mental makeup of delivery first this is the key to this type of system working on a regular OFFENSIVELY.If that individual can comprehend those things in this system CHEMISTRY can happen overnight Because we have seen in the past with the KINGS when new players come to the TEAM there Initiation process doesn't really last that long.

It is looking good now but we can't judge if either trade was correct until the playoffs. This team has to be succesful in the postseason to see if the "chemistry" is really important or not. But I think by then these guys will develop that chemistry...

I think the chemistry is still there in Sacramento. Webber clearly decided to be Mobley's goodwill ambassador, made him feel welcome and all that. Mobley has commented that the Kings have great chemistry and unselfishness.

So I believe that chemistry is not overrated, but Doug's loss has not diminished our team chemistry. Credit to the organization.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I just feel that a players only attribute to the team was his chemistry is not much of an attribute. You mentioned Webber being the ambassador of goodwill. He should be, Webber is going to move to the top of the list of the best PF in the league now. Why you ask? I have seen the list of players people have said are much better than Webber and of that list everyone of them have a SG that scores 15 to 25 every night.

With our lineup now Mobley is probably our 3rd option. Leaving Bibby and Miller our 4th and 5th. Not a bad 4th and 5th options seeing as how both are capable of putting up 30. Not to mention Bibby can start playing more of a true point guard now that he has some one that scores when he passes. Plus Miller has triple double capabilities. We NOW have the best starting 5 in the NBA and i wouldn't venture to say one of the top 5 best benches with bobby top 10 without.

A

AriesMar27

i'm sure that kobe, shaq and phil will all agree, that it was chemistry that won them 3 rings.....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Entity said:
I just feel that a players only attribute to the team was his chemistry is not much of an attribute.
What are you talking about? I'm either missing the boat entirely or you're dumping on Doug as though he was last week's fish.

Doug wasn't here solely because of chemistry. He was valuable part of our team and he will be missed. His bullet passes to Pedja, his ability to get inside opponent's heads, his shot from the line, and MUCH MORE made him a valued member of the team who will be missed.

The team is different now but there's no way to know if it's better. That won't come until June.

I personally think we can applaud the addition of Cat without all of a sudden having to dump on all that Doug was and all he brought to our team.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If you can't say how much better the guy you got in a trade is than the guy you traded than the trade was pointless. This is the most excited i have been in a while and i didn't know i wasn't excited until we got Mobley. I can't see the games on TV but i get excited now just to see the PBP on the internet. All of a sudden i can't get enough. It looks as though i am the first one to fully jump on The Cat bandwagon. Out with the old in with the new. Even if it don't work out there is nothing that can be done now so wondering if it was a good trade or not or wondering if chemistry is hurt is all for nothing. I guess mobley will be under the same microscope as Webber is from some of the users on this board.

Entity said:
It looks as though i am the first one to fully jump on The Cat bandwagon.
People who like DC and are sad to see him go are not neccessarily off the Cat bandwagon. Im jumping right on it. He is a King, I hope he goes nuts. But I am sad to see DC go, I loved his heart, attitude and intensity. I am both curious and hopeful regarding this change.

Entity

Hall of Famer
realistic would be reading what i said and not reading INTO what i said. My exact statement was Webber would move to the top of the list. Seems alot of ppl here put him at the bottom or not in the top 10. I NEVER said he was better than Duncan or KG. Then again when was the last time Duncan got 6 assist. KG is the best player in the NBA and will be for a while so I wouln't dare say that. I just want to point out that all the top PF have a SG that score 15 to 25 points. Now we have one just watch and see what i am telling you. Oh and I thought this long before the other nights game. I was saying this before the trade when ppl were dumping on Webber.

The Shaq/Kobe championship teams had great team chemistry. That doesn't mean they were great friends off the court or even on the court.

To me, "chemistry" just means all the parts clicking and connecting efficiently.

i dont think chemistry is overrated at all. the kings would never have achieved as much success as they have w/o it. but i do believe it is just a piece of a larger puzzle overall. basically, good chemistry never won any championships on its own. but, if a team possesses good chemistry, solid play on both ends of the floor, and mental toughness, then they have a great shot at winning a championship.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Entity said:
If you can't say how much better the guy you got in a trade is than the guy you traded than the trade was pointless. This is the most excited i have been in a while and i didn't know i wasn't excited until we got Mobley. I can't see the games on TV but i get excited now just to see the PBP on the internet. All of a sudden i can't get enough. It looks as though i am the first one to fully jump on The Cat bandwagon. Out with the old in with the new. Even if it don't work out there is nothing that can be done now so wondering if it was a good trade or not or wondering if chemistry is hurt is all for nothing. I guess mobley will be under the same microscope as Webber is from some of the users on this board.
I'm very glad you're so excited. I see a lot of potential, too, but I don't have to dump on Doug to express it. A trade is generally not because one player is better than the guy you traded him for - it's for a variety of other reasons, including salaries, team direction, team needs at the time, etc. And I don't see the need to jump on anyone's bandwagon. Cat is now part of the Kings. I am and have been a Kings fan so he'll get the same support as anyone else wearing the uniform.
Out with the old in with the new. Even if it don't work out there is nothing that can be done now so wondering if it was a good trade or not or wondering if chemistry is hurt is all for nothing.
Okay, now I'm totally flummoxed. YOU were the one who started the thread about whether or not it was a good trade. YOU were the one who started the thread about team chemistry.

I think what most people are saying is simply to give it a little time. There is, to my knowledge, no contest for being the first person to jump on Cat's bandwagon. Almost all of us are excited because he brings something a little different. On a personal level, I'm excited because he's younger, he's not suffering from various aches and pains that have hindered Doug all year, and he takes the team in a little different direction.

Mobley will never be under the same microscope Webber is. For one reason, there's no room. For another, Webber is a polarizing figure - always has been. I don't think Cuttino fits that mold at all.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Lack of chemistry is what FINISHED the Lakers dynasty, not what built it. Its also what finished the Blazers super-talented squads.

You can't win a championship on chemistry alone, you MAY even be able to win a championship without it if you have overwhelming talent. Maybe. But to say it does not matter is just turning a blind eye to history. Its just one factor among many, but good chemistry = INCREASES your chances at winning, and bad chemistry = DECREASES your chances at winning. When it flows over onto the court such that guys start playing for themselves rather than the team, you're in trouble.

Entity said:

To this I say:

One man's poison is another man's pleasure ...
What works for them may not work for us .... or vice-versa
Do what works for you ...
You take the high-road, I'll take the low-road ...
Not my cup of tea ...

I'm sure there are MANY-MANY more ... just havin' some fun !!!