Centers of the future:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's been a shortage of top centers coming out of college for the last few years. There are a couple of exceptions, like our own DeMarcus Cousins, but as I pointed out in another thread, in last years draft, just about anyone resembling a center came from another country.

Unfortunately the next draft is no exception, unless your in love with Joshua Smith of UCLA, a 6'9" 300 pounder that battles his weight as much as his opposition on the court. Now all that could change if Andre Drummond decides to throw his hat into the ring. So I'm moving on to the highschool class of 2012, which is loaded with potential first rounders.

Andre Drummond: 6'10", 285 pound Center. I'll be short with him since I've already written at lenght about him. Terrific athlete that has excellent leaping ability. Good shotblocker. Can score with either hand around the basket. Very strong with soft hands. Very good passer. His weakness is that he tends to float at times and seeming lose interest. Could be the first pick in any draft he enters.

Isaiah Austin: 7'1", 215 pound Center. Isaiah is the nephew of Ike Austin who most of you will remember from his days in the NBA. Isaiah may be the most talented center in the class of 2012. He'll remind you of Kareem Abdul Jabbar in appearance, and as you can see by his weight, he needs to add muscle. Lots of muscle! He's a terrific ballhandler for a guy his size, and he can pass the ball almost as well.

He can shoot the ball from anywhere, and he a very good in space rebounder. He's also a prolific shotblocker, and has that Bill Russell knack of blocking a shot to himself. As stated, his biggest weakness is strength. He tends to get pushed around by guys that are smaller, but stronger than he is. If he can add 20 pounds of muscle, he could easily be a top 5 choice in the 2013 draft. Here's a short video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=7gWobH_xtgs

Kaleb Tarczewski: 7'0", 220 pound Center. His name sounds like another international player, but he was born and bred in New Hamshire. He's a true low post center, with little or no game away from the basket. He's a very good low post player that can appear explosive at times. He can score with either hand, and has a very good righthanded jumphook. His lefthanded jumphook is still a work in progress. He's a very good in space rebounder on both ends of the court. He's also an outstanding shotblocker with great timing on his blocks. Defensively he has quick feet and is good at holding position. However he'll have to get stronger as he moves up to different levels. Its reported that he's very coachable, and has improved tremendously in the last two years

His weakness is his ballhandling and passing, both of which need improving. He also needs to develop a mid-range game. He has a bit of a temper and will let him get the best of him at times. He's a good athlete the runs the floor very well. Right now he has the potential to be a lottery pick in the 2013 draft. With enough improvement, maybe a top 5 pick. Here's a short video of him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93rS71wmt7w

Cameron Ridley: 6'10", 230 pound Center. His name reminds me of the movies, Alien and Aliens. The main charactor was named Ridley, and the first movie was directed by Ridley Scott. The second movie was directed by James Cameron. Anyway, enough about that. Cameron is another low post center. He has a body type that has weight problems written all over it. He worked hard to get his weight down and its made a world of difference. He's a pretty good low post player, and a good athlete. He doesn't have a great vertical, but he's a quick leaper and blocks his share of shots. He has great hands and anything he touches is his.

While he's effective in the low post, he still has a ways to go in developing dropsteps and more advanced post moves. At the highschool he's able to get by, but he'll have to bring more to the table at the next level. He does have a nice mid-range game. He has a jumper thats consistent out to about 12 to 15 feet. He has an excellent right hand hookshot, and he's a good finisher off the pick and roll. He needs to work on his passing and ballhandling. He's still a little raw in some areas. But he plays with a high energy and seems determined to keep his weight in check. Right now he looks like a mid to low first round pick in the 2013 draft. But with hard work he could work himself up into the lottery. Here's a short video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOAHxxKYFO8

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Not to pick on your movie trivia, but Sigourney Weaver was Ellen Ripley, not Ridley. Carry on!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not to pick on your movie trivia, but Sigourney Weaver was Ellen Ripley, not Ridley. Carry on!
I now officially hate you! At least I didn't attempt to spell Sigourney, who by the way, wanted the charactor to be called Ridley. I made that up of course!:D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Steven Adams: 6'11", 240 pound Center. 18 years old and from New Zealand. If Adams were a US player, he would ranked right at the top of the 2013 class. Technically, because of his age, he could be in the 2012 class and enter the draft at the end of this coming season. However, he's commited to Pittsburg, so it appears he'll enter college at the end of the next season. Adams showed up at the Adidas Nations Challenge as an unknown, and ended up being the biggest surprise there. Since he's only played organized basketball for 4 years, and in a country where basketball takes a back seat to just about every other sport, its amazing how good Adams is.

He's an excellent athlete that runs the floor like a deer. He's an explosive, and quick leaper. He has long arms, huge hands, and very good lower body strength. For having so little basketball experience, he has a very good feel for the game. He has excellent touch around the basket, but has little resembling a post game. However he did display a nice jumphook at times. He also showed a fairly consistent faceup jumper from around 15 feet. He's very good at moving without the ball, and rolling to the basket after setting a screen in the pick and roll. He's an excellent rebounder and led everyone at the Adidas Nations in rebounding, averaging 11.3 boards for the tournament. Thats three more rebounds than his nearest competitor. Which included players like Andre Drummond, and Cameron Ridley etc.

Defensively, although very raw when it comes to team defense, he showed himself to be a very good man defender and intimidating shotblocker. He has very quick feet, and when isolated a few times on the perimiter against smaller quicker players, he did more than hold his own. In his matchup with top prospect, 7 foot Kaleb Tarczewski, he dominated him, holding him to 10 points and 4 rebounds, while blocking almost every shot Kaleb put up near the basket. At the same time, Adams scored 20 points and grabbed 24 rebounds. In one of his games against the USA 2013 team, he scored 37 points and grabbed 14 boards.

Adams is currently being tutored by Detlef Schremph. Especially on his shooting and freethrow shooting, which at the moment, is not very good. He has a long way to go, but considering how fast he's picked up the game, and his natural feel for the game, I see him being a top 5 pick down the road, and if he really develops, possibly the top pick in the draft. He's someone you want to keep your eye on. Here's the only video I could find of him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NIE-ilKueA

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I now officially hate you! At least I didn't attempt to spell Sigourney, who by the way, wanted the charactor to be called Ridley. I made that up of course!:D
Well the movie was directed by a guy named Ridley (as you said), so you were half right. :D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well the movie was directed by a guy named Ridley (as you said), so you were half right. :D
Is that sort of like, The cup is half full? I've seen that movie a thousand times. I can't believe I got the name wrong. Very nice of Warhawk to point it out to me though......

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Meyers Leonard: Earlier in the year I stated that I thought he was a second round pick at best. Well, after watching three games I had recorded, and also the last two games Illinois was on TV, I've changed my mind. This is a guy that averaged around 3 minutes a game last season, but is averaging around 32 minutes a game this season, and there's a reason for that. If he throws his hat into the draft, and thats a big if, he's definitely a first round pick. Probably not a lottery pick but somewhere around 19 to 23, depending on who needs a big center thats a little raw.

The kid is a terrific athlete who plays above the rim. He blocks shots and has a rough, but effective post game. His righthanded hookshot is amost unblockable, and he's very consistent with it. He can shoot it with either hand, but he definitely perfers the right. He has a big frame, and is a legit 7 foot if not taller. Defensively, he has very quick feet and reacts well to the ball. He's in foul trouble a lot, and in my humble opinion, much of it is undeserved. He also has a nice jumpshot, that he seldom takes.

He's somewhat of a project for whomever drafts him, but he's a kid that can, unlike Whiteside, contribute right away on the defensive side of the ball, and not be a liability on the offensive side.