Can the Maloof Family Be Trusted to Negotiate in Good Faith

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Are you sure about this? The flagship for Comcast is the Philly network. Most of their networks have a long history under other names so it makes it hard to figure out what's what. Anyhow, I just don't see how they fit in with Burkle, regardless.
Actually I am not sure. It might be that the Kings were the first NBA team in California to be broadcast by them. I think in this area they are isolated to Northern California. They don't broadcast much out here and Fox dominates the area. Drifting into speculation land, if Comcast is even thinking of making being a major player in broadcasting NBA, they should at the least fight to keep the Kings. It appears they are fighting by renegotiating their contract. The naming rights seem to be out of the question if PBP has a 5 year deal with the Maloofs. (stupid)

I don't understand the comment about Burkle.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Comcast and Burkle are rivals in Pennsylvania (both in terms of political power and sports ownership), it would be odd that they would unite in Sacramento on the arena. I have little doubt Comcast will up the deal nicely on the Kings in Sac, like I said the big fear is if they moved to Anaheim Comcast would be out period as that market is served by Time Warner.

I would still hope Intel would somehow get in on the naming rights. One of the largest private employers in the area and a team that should be in contention by the time the arena opens. What's to lose?

I googled Power Balance and MSE and didn't find any concrete terms of the deal but I did come across one article where the Maloofs were bragging about how easy it was for them to put together a deal in such a short window of time (4 months). Knowing them they probably sold more than they realized and this will come back and bite them. Still I don't see how they can name an arena they don't own so odds are they will just have to buy out the contract and eat some of that money they thought they had locked up.

Actually I don't care what they call the Sacramento arena as long as it is a bright, shiny new one and the Kings are still the home team.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Then Tampax arena it is! :p

Isn't it a wonderful to even be discussing potential arena names??? I hope this gets done!!
A month ago we all "knew" the team was moving and anyone who dared to venture an opinion otherwise was corrected. It's amazing how events can change. I cringe as to where this naming the arena game will go.

Extenze Arena? It has a more masculine ring.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Apparently it's more than a naming-rights contract. The Maloofs are tied into an overall marketing deal with Power Balance. I don't know if there's an opt-out. Since the Maloofs have been planning this move for awhile, I'd be ticked off, if I was the Power Balance people. Of course, even if they move, the Maloofs might still have owned "Power Balance Pavilion" in Sacramento.
This is key, as ARCO is/was owned by MSE. The new facility is anticipated to be built using at least partial public funding (I am assuming at this point, seems reasonable) and will likely be LEASED to MSE or a different owner. They don't own it, they can't name it (at least, I wouldn't think so). I don't think PBP would carry over to a new arena.

This is key, as ARCO is/was owned by MSE. The new facility is anticipated to be built using at least partial public funding (I am assuming at this point, seems reasonable) and will likely be LEASED to MSE or a different owner. They don't own it, they can't name it (at least, I wouldn't think so). I don't think PBP would carry over to a new arena.
From what we have seen they don't own arco right now. The city does and they get it back when paying off the bonds.

With other arena deals, the management group and the city split the naming rights. It all depends on how it's worked out.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
From what we have seen they don't own arco right now. The city does and they get it back when paying off the bonds.

With other arena deals, the management group and the city split the naming rights. It all depends on how it's worked out.
They own ARCO the same way you own a house you are paying the loan on. The bank "owns" it, but you can do what you want with it as long as you keep making payments on time (which they have).

To your second point - that may be true, but the City/JPA just announced had no involvement in that agreement and MSE won't "own" the building (if they are still the owners of the team at that point). A new agreement would be required for naming rights. MSE can't carry naming rights from a building they own to a building they don't....

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The good news for the Maloofs if they survive that long is that if the arena takes 3 years (one to break ground, two to build) they probably won't have to pay back the Power Balance people too much if they over committed.

And I think its pretty hilarious that Power Balance basically has their name associated with a decrepit POS arena in every news report. Arco will forever be known as the place that had the great atmosphere, PBP will be known as the place the Maloofs were desperately trying to flee from and that must be replaced ASAP. Smooth move, geniuses.

They own ARCO the same way you own a house you are paying the loan on. The bank "owns" it, but you can do what you want with it as long as you keep making payments on time (which they have).

To your second point - that may be true, but the City/JPA just announced had no involvement in that agreement and MSE won't "own" the building (if they are still the owners of the team at that point). A new agreement would be required for naming rights. MSE can't carry naming rights from a building they own to a building they don't....
The bank doesn't have the title to my house right now. They have a lein against it. That mean's the maloofs can't borrow against the property.

I agree on the new naming rights. It would be the city and MSE partnering so I'm not sure how power balance would get them.

A month ago we all "knew" the team was moving and anyone who dared to venture an opinion otherwise was corrected. It's amazing how events can change. I cringe as to where this naming the arena game will go.

Extenze Arena? It has a more masculine ring.
Heck, many of us had tears during that "last game." Honestly, I really like the ring of Comcast Arena. That would be cool..:cool:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Heck, many of us had tears during that "last game." Honestly, I really like the ring of Comcast Arena. That would be cool..:cool:
Comcast Arena would give Sacramento a seat at the big boy's table. It would easily host an NBA all star game. Power Balance Pavilion can barely host the Harlem Globetrotters.

BUMP!!!!!! In going through my previously started post, I am not surprised we as a community are in this position. Just read through this and bask in the glow of smart, intelligent Kings fans and Sacramento Community members we have on this board.

Maloof trust has sunk to, hopefully, a low. I would think they see that they have to rebuild trust. One way they can start is by turning on the money spigot for players, taking on salaries where prudent, and generally coming across as willing to build the team as they have promised. If that happens they have taken a good first step. Let's hope they do it.

Maloof trust has sunk to, hopefully, a low. I would think they see that they have to rebuild trust. One way they can start is by turning on the money spigot for players, taking on salaries where prudent, and generally coming across as willing to build the team as they have promised. If that happens they have taken a good first step. Let's hope they do it.
I'm not holding my breath...nor should you :D