California Classic Game 2 Kings versus Heat 7/2/19

Nothing to see here. the quality is pathetic and unless someone takes over like a man among boys chances are they arent anything but what you see. Summer league material. There is no ''it'' factor. They will be among the 80% of hopefuls that don't make it to anything and the other 15% on the bench and a lucky 3% as starters and that rare 1-2% as important players.

Nothing to see here. the quality is pathetic and unless someone takes over like a man among boys chances are they arent anything but what you see. Summer league material. There is no ''it'' factor. They will be among the 80% of hopefuls that don't make it to anything and the other 15% on the bench and a lucky 3% as starters and that rare 1-2% as important players.
It's summer league my dude. These guys are literally playing for a very slim chance of being in the NBA. I'm sure they're trying their hardest to compete. Easy to judge sitting on your couch with Pringles crumbs on your chest covering the mountain dew stain .

As much as I appreciate Marcus Derrickson and Semaj Christon wanting to nail winning shots to boost their profiles for a contract in Euroleague, the team would have benefitted more from JJ or Guy getting last shot experience.
Christon has not helped his standing from what I've seen. He's a total ball pounder. He hasn't run much of any offense, he's creating off getting himself looks. Coach never should have sat Derrickson early on. It was an interesting look with him at center. Showed his versatility there. Much like last year the Kings tried to finish the game off with 1 legit shooter on the floor. I still think Derrickson is the other best 2 way option on this squad next to Wenyen. Hopefully they let him start in the next game and play a lot of minutes with the Kings 2nd rounders.

If Guy can clean up his handle and those turnovers in traffic, he could be a nice bench shooter in the mold of Seth Curry. I like his confidence and ability to get his shot off whether being contested or open.

Not loving the timidity from Justin James, and especially concerning since he's a 4-year college player. But maybe he can find his game in G-League, because the tools and BBIQ seem to be there.

If Guy can clean up his handle and those turnovers in traffic, he could be a nice bench shooter in the mold of Seth Curry. I like his confidence and ability to get his shot off whether being contested or open.

Not loving the timidity from Justin James, and especially concerning since he's a 4-year college player. But maybe he can find his game in G-League, because the tools and BBIQ seem to be there.
I'd like to see them let James do some what of he did in college. He's trying to fit in more as a natural wing yet they drafted him as a combo G. Let him run some stuff rather than mostly swinging the ball. Having Christon playing next to him isn't helping either. You'd realistically want him to be in the role Christon is offensively.

Jesus, man. Did you miss your nap today?

The Guy 3-ball is definitely intriguing, looks like he's got some ability to get off the shot in traffic and obviously has the amazing stroke and form. That alone gives you some NBA potential. Gotta see how those guard ball-handler/playmaker skills develop though in Stockton.

I'd like to see them let James do some what of he did in college. He's trying to fit in more as a natural wing yet they drafted him as a combo G. Let him run some stuff rather than mostly swinging the ball. Having Christon playing next to him isn't helping either. You'd realistically want him to be in the role Christon is offensively.
It’s only two games and lots of guys trying to do their own thing in order to make an impression. James really hasn’t had much of an opportunity to do anything.

He looks capable to me though. I liked the aggression he showed on the 1st half dunk attempt and he puts effort in on the defensive end. At the end of the game, he made a couple plays when they needed it with the runner and then the 3 where he got fouled.

I understand the criticism about wanting to see him be more aggressive and look for his own. But on the other hand, I sort of appreciate that he was looking to make the right plays rather than just get his.

Hopefully with more PT experience, hard work and coaching, he’ll be able to find a good mix of both.

Lastly, I saw at least a few plays designed to get Kyle Guy a shot. I haven’t seen that for James yet.

I just can’t get into summer league ball if it doesn’t involve higher profile draft picks. I love to see how their games immediately start to translate, but the rest of this is just....blah.

Guy is Stockton bound. Is a shot maker. His shot, doesn't look pretty nor does it look extremely quick, but he releases it at the highest point and seems to get it off in traffic. Isn't a point guard yet. Still waiting to see him: pass while going left, catch and shoot while going left, dribble, jump stop, and score.

James shot looks nice, but his wind up is incredibly slow. It's a problem. He needs to work on quickening it this summer. Above average athlete, showing signs of being a great defender, who can switch between the 1 and 2. Not quite sure about the 3 yet. Flashes an all around game. Poor mans Klay, 2nd round version of Josh Okogie?

Christon is solid. Two way contract?

Bryce Boewn looks good. That dude flashes plus defense and plus shooting. Small sample size, but if I had to bet, he looks like he'll end up being this year's version of Wes Mathews.

G2 was hard to watch, especially in the second half because of all the fouls.
Some guys are showing promise, but you have to remember this is SL.
Mika would be an example of guy that looks really good in SL, but would struggle in a real NBA game.
I can only wonder what it feels like to be Jimmer, in and out of the league, and now playing Summer League after all of these years.