Butler requests trade from Timberwolves

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
something about Jimmy that screams cancer to me, I'm assuming he wants to go to New York and possibly try to bring Uncle Drew with him in the offseason

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, I'm surprised someone hasn't asked this question already. Butler has asked to be traded, and he named three teams. The Knicks, the Clippers, and the Net's. None of them are playoff teams, but all three will have the capspace to give him the contract he wants at the end of next season. When last I checked, the Kings will have as much if not more than all three of those teams. The reason he picked the Clippers, is that he prefers to play either on the east coast, or in California. Once again, when last I checked, the Kings are in California.

Sooooo, should, will, the Kings pursue Butler? He certainly fills a couple of needs. First, he's a SF and second, he's considered a franchise player by many in the NBA. Personally, if I'm Vlade, I'm on the phone doing my best sales pitch. The next question is, what would Minny want for Butler. Well, I do have some thoughts on that. First, they're not in a particularly good bargaining position. The team trading for him is guaranteed only one year of service with the hopes that he'll resign with them at the end of that year. So with that in mind, how much would any team, not just the Kings, be willing to gamble on resigning him at years end?

I'll be the first to admit, that sometimes you have to stick your neck out further than you want in order to acquire a valued commodity. Now may be that time. Unfortunately, the Kings don't have a 1st round pick this year to offer, so any 1st rd pick would have to be a future pick, and do the Kings want to forfeit their future with no guarantee from Butler. The Kings do have assets though, and they have additional capspace to work with if needed. Personally, I haven't thought about this enough to come up with an offer, but I'm sure someone will. I certainly hope that the Kings have the T-Wolves phone number.

He would never stay here and he doesn't really fit the young team we have now. He isn't a dummy, he knows we have cap space but yet we aren't on that list.... probably because he doesn't want to be here.

No, hes not staying if traded here.

He’s not amenable to nonplayoff teams for more than a year. He believes the Knicks and/or Nets are 10 months away from probably acquiring a star and knows that forcing the right trade there first will increase the likelihood and talent of the new team in 19-20.

NBA player requests trade to a big market, what a surprise. The league won't do anything but they need to do something about this. The cards are just stacked too heavily in the favor of the big market teams. It's not like that in the NFL.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
NBA player requests trade to a big market, what a surprise. The league won't do anything but they need to do something about this. The cards are just stacked too heavily in the favor of the big market teams. It's not like that in the NFL.
It also gives the players way too much say in where they want to play

Poor Minny.

Gave up all that for a Jimmy Butler rental so they could compete for a year.

Should've stayed the course for that rebuild.

Dunn-Lavine-Wiggins-Markkanen-KAT isn't worth anything defensively, but it's a damn better situation than having their future blow up right in their face.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Poor Minny.

Dunn-Lavine-Wiggins-Markkanen-KAT isn't worth anything defensively, but it's a damn better situation than having their future blow up right in their face.
it started with giving Thibs the right to make personnel decisions along with being a headache on the sidelines

it started with giving Thibs the right to make personnel decisions along with being a headache on the sidelines
The fact that's he gathering his decrepit former Bulls has become a meme at this point. I've gone on a tangent before on what I think happened there, but we're seeing a few successful coaches fail miserably in other situations, personally because I think they've become set in their ways.

Thibs was a double whammy because they gave him GM power as well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The fact that's he gathering his decrepit former Bulls has become a meme at this point. I've gone on a tangent before on what I think happened there, but we're seeing a few successful coaches fail miserably in other situations, personally because I think they've become set in their ways.

Thibs was a double whammy because they gave him GM power as well.
In the last couple of years, coaches have been given the reigns to be GMs also and it hasn't gone well unless you are the Spurs but that started and ended with 21

Not a fan of Jimmy Butler. But since the Kings don't have first rounder next draft, might as well start the engine running for attempts to make the playoffs. And Jimmy at 6'8" fills in right there without supplanting any of the Kings top picks.
As long as the Kings only offer back expiring like Kosta and Shumpert, and a 2020 first round if there's commitment to stay from Jimmy. That's the never looking back kind of move.

IMO, Jimmy's beef is that there's always a player paid higher than him that never puts an effort better than him (i.e. Wiggins in Wolves and Derrick in early years of Chicago). But in the Kings, he will be the highest paid so he will be hard on himself here and not beef with that sort anymore. Jimmy actually a competitive guys and once Fox or Bogie plays better than him, he will eventually push himself more. That's the kind of things I see if Vlade can land him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Rumor has it that Butler is not exactly a fan of KAT and or doesn’t believe in KAT being able to help bring a winning mentality to Minnesota......... the interpretation is KAT is soft.

Many on here thought that we could get Andrew Wiggins ON TOP of a 1st round pick or free. I kept telling you guys Jimmy was out after this year...so why on earth could they afford to trade Wiggins even if he's not worth his contract?

Going back to the subject at hand, this is all on the fault of Thibbs. Horrific move to even trade for Butler in the first place. Short-term answer to a long-term problem. The core of Dunn-LaVine-Wiggins-Markkanen-KAT is much better than what they have now. That's a potential super team with all that offensive star power. Yes defense is lacking, but it's not something that couldn't be improved upon. Thibbs needs to go.

Well, I'm surprised someone hasn't asked this question already. Butler has asked to be traded, and he named three teams. The Knicks, the Clippers, and the Net's. None of them are playoff teams, but all three will have the capspace to give him the contract he wants at the end of next season. When last I checked, the Kings will have as much if not more than all three of those teams. The reason he picked the Clippers, is that he prefers to play either on the east coast, or in California. Once again, when last I checked, the Kings are in California.

Sooooo, should, will, the Kings pursue Butler? He certainly fills a couple of needs. First, he's a SF and second, he's considered a franchise player by many in the NBA. Personally, if I'm Vlade, I'm on the phone doing my best sales pitch. The next question is, what would Minny want for Butler. Well, I do have some thoughts on that. First, they're not in a particularly good bargaining position. The team trading for him is guaranteed only one year of service with the hopes that he'll resign with them at the end of that year. So with that in mind, how much would any team, not just the Kings, be willing to gamble on resigning him at years end?

I'll be the first to admit, that sometimes you have to stick your neck out further than you want in order to acquire a valued commodity. Now may be that time. Unfortunately, the Kings don't have a 1st round pick this year to offer, so any 1st rd pick would have to be a future pick, and do the Kings want to forfeit their future with no guarantee from Butler. The Kings do have assets though, and they have additional capspace to work with if needed. Personally, I haven't thought about this enough to come up with an offer, but I'm sure someone will. I certainly hope that the Kings have the T-Wolves phone number.
Baja, those 3 teams have in common of being GIANT markets.. we're bottom 10. He would NEVER consider resigning with us. He'd probably rather sign a 1year minimum deal on a winning team than sign for a 4yr max with Sacramento. Look at our history of players wanting to come play for us in the last decade... no one.There's not much we could do to convince Butler to resign. He clearly doesn't care about winning, BUT he wants the big market. That's not something we can offer him.

The 3 teams who Butler said he'd resign with would have no problem offering value for him.
Clippers: Harris, SGA, 2019 1st and a future 1st.
Nets: RHJ, Jarrett Allen, and LeVert/Russell.
Knicks: Ntilikina, Knox, and Lee.

For the Kings, the value would have to be:
Bogdanovic/Buddy, WCS, Skal, and future 1st.
or
Fox+WCS?

That's not worth it for us at all.

Baja, those 3 teams have in common of being GIANT markets.. we're bottom 10. He would NEVER consider resigning with us. He'd probably rather sign a 1year minimum deal on a winning team than sign for a 4yr max with Sacramento. Look at our history of players wanting to come play for us in the last decade... no one.There's not much we could do to convince Butler to resign. He clearly doesn't care about winning, BUT he wants the big market. That's not something we can offer him.

The 3 teams who Butler said he'd resign with would have no problem offering value for him.

or
Fox+WCS?

Blows my mind that we just saw this mistake blow up in Minnesota's face and there are people suggesting we do essentially the exact same thing they did a year ago.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Poor Minny.

To be fair, they really only gave up a super athletic dude coming off of a major knee injury, a PG who was at the time a huge bust for them, and a pick swap (wound up being Lauri) for a guy who led them to their first playoff series in like 15 years. And its not like they're not going to net anything when they trade to the Clippers (Doc is also not the best at the whole GM/Coach thing).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

or
Fox+WCS?

Butler for Shump, Z-Bo, and McLemore. Make it happen Vlade.

Blows my mind that we just saw this mistake blow up in Minnesota's face and there are people suggesting we do essentially the exact same thing they did a year ago.
Butler is one of those guys who eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. We've had numerous discussions on this board about KAT and Wiggins. I've stated from day 1 that you'll never win with Wiggins as your first or second best player and you'll never win with KAT as your best player. Wiggins plays losing basketball and KAT is extremely talented offensively but he only plays on one side of the court. Now we have a guy in Jimmy Butler wanting out of there because neither guy works as hard as he thinks they should be working. That's pretty telling to me.

I doubt Butler would stay in Sacramento but if we had made the trade for him instead, his excuse wouldn't be because our guys aren't working hard enough because from everything we've seen, the majority of the young guys on this team work their you know whats off.

This is low-key like a Deron to the Nets level disaster... I can;t help but think Flip Saunders would be rolling in his grave.

I knew the second the trade went down it was highway robbery by the Bulls... I mean Lauri Markkanen was on the board!!!!

something about Jimmy that screams cancer to me, I'm assuming he wants to go to New York and possibly try to bring Uncle Drew with him in the offseason
your instincts are correct. He's got a great personality for a player getting role-player $$$$, with a big deal however it's a whole different story, he's got too much leverage and will hold you hostage -- and thats what he's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
And to top it off Justin Patton broke a bone in his other foot just a few weeks back. The Wolves can't catch a break, it's hard to feel bad for them tho --- they did it to themselves, all this crap was super avoidable, but they wanted to go for it last year just so they get mopped 1st rd.

It's like they were in a rush to mediocrity. It's not the way u build teams when there's megateams like GS and Houston. FO and Thibs got a case of scrappy doo mindset. They bit off way more than they could chew.

According to Woj, Sacramento on a list of teams probing for deals with the Minnesota:

"So far, few franchises, if any, are engaged in serious conversations with the Timberwolves on Butler, sources said. But the list of organizations interested in talking further with Minnesota is significant, league sources said: Brooklyn, Detroit, Houston, the LA Clippers, Miami, Philadelphia, Portland and Sacramento are among the teams interested in probing for deals."

According to Woj, Sacramento on a list of teams probing for deals with the Minnesota:

"So far, few franchises, if any, are engaged in serious conversations with the Timberwolves on Butler, sources said. But the list of organizations interested in talking further with Minnesota is significant, league sources said: Brooklyn, Detroit, Houston, the LA Clippers, Miami, Philadelphia, Portland and Sacramento are among the teams interested in probing for deals."
Not surprising at all. He would fit in perfectly with our squad and actually give us a realistic shot at the playoffs in a couple years but the whole resigning thing would be a major major crap shoot.

Not surprising at all. He would fit in perfectly with our squad and actually give us a realistic shot at the playoffs in a couple years but the whole resigning thing would be a major major crap shoot.
if the Kings show major improvement he might be convinced to stay. however, that is a major gamble. the wolves owner wants te trade done by start of training camp. what would we be willing to give up for a chance to try to convince someone who will probably walk after a year to stay...