But how is the TEAM doing?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
In commenting with bajaden about grades for various games, I realize individual grades, while important to many fans, are not what Coach Malone has told us is his plan for the team. To develop his (and PDA’s) culture will take a year or more. A culture of defense first and teamwork. Can’t happen over night or in a week or even a month or two. It takes a lot of time to get there and even more time (2 years?) to get the necessary consistency.

As of New Years Day, the Kings have played 30 games. The last 17 with Derrick Williams and the last 10 with Rudy Gay, Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray, and therefore without Salmons/Hayes/Vasquez/Patterson. Major changes. Short time. Tough schedule. Early in the season.

In the last 9 games with Rudy Gay the Kings are 4-5 having beaten 3 playoff teams including the Rockets twice and the Heat once. That is a giant WOW! Way ahead of schedule from this view. But a long way to go.

Way back in October near the end of preseason, the Bee published “Three Things to Watch” for the Kings. They were:

Paint Protection

Keep it Moving

Space it Out.

Those three things are as key today as they were back then. I would add a fourth item, “Help Defense”. So where have they gotten as a chameleon team so far?

Points in the Paint: Kings average 44.3 pts in paint good for 10th in the NBA. Opponents pts in Paint: 41.8, 16th in league. Good so far.

Keeping it moving: Kings rank 20th in Assists with 20.6/game. That means the Kings are not moving the ball enough but consider it has gotten better lately. Watch the Heat, Spurs, Pacers. For most of their made baskets, 3-4 players touch the ball every time down the court..

Spacing it out. The key here is FG%. Spacing yields better, open shots. Kings are ranked 19th in FG% (48.6%) but dead last in opponent FG% at 52.8%. That then leads to Help Defense and Paint Protection.

If players are overly concerned about Paint Protection, whether it is working or not, then perimeter players will sag off too much allowing perimeter shooters much easy shots. Since Kings don’t really have good perimeter defenders now, McLemore’s improvements not-with-standing, this is to be expected.

Poor perimeter defense is also supported by the Kings being last in the league in personal fouls per game mostly gotten when their man is getting past them. Keeping in front of their man is as much natural talent as it is learned talent. And with Cousins playing Matador defense every time he gets 2 early fouls, points-in-the-paint-allowed go up. Help Defense again can help here and can be improved with Coaching and practice.

Bottom line is Kings are improving based on their last 9 games going 4-5, all with Rudy Gay (and Acy and Gray). Spacing it Out will take awhile with the new players. Keeping it Moving means passing the ball more (more touches) not IT dribbling around like Mighty Mouse in a room full of cats. But his assist numbers are better the last 4-5 games, so a glimmer of hope.

A look at team power rankings for the year see Kings in 19th spot but in last 10 games they are up to 15th. Team improvement. Small steps for sure but progress. Yea!!! What to do next? My couch is too comfortable and I'm more worried about my next brew than to expend grey matter on such a daunting task.

Where did I get my “facts”? Here: NBA Basketball Team Stats & Stats Leaders 2 Jan 2014

CruzDude

Gee, Thursday's game vs. 76ers sure pointed out need of "3 things to do". Guess they forgot everything from previous 5 games. Hard to explain that much a turnaround: 23 TO's, 12 ast, and horrid defense in the middle. Cuz, for all his offensive and rebound glory, still employs the matador defense on opponents driving for layups. Is he that paranoid about getting early fouls? Until his defense in the middle vs. forwards and guards improves, his chances for All-Star status decreases. I love the guy and want to see him become an All-Star but he needs to step up one more level with his interior defense to make it difficult not to select him for all-star.

Last edited:
Gee, Thursday's game vs. 76ers sure pointed out need of "3 things to do". Guess they forgot everything from previous 5 games. Hard to explain that much a turnaround: 23 TO's, 12 sat, and horrid defense in the middle. Cuz, for all his offensive and rebound glory, still employs the matador defense on opponents driving for layups. Is he that paranoid about getting early fouls? Until his defense in the middle vs. forwards and guards improves, his chances for All-Star status decreases. I love the guy and want to see him become an All-Star but he needs to step up one more level with his interior defense to make it difficult not to select him for all-star.
Catch-22. The Kings can't win with him sitting on the bench with foul trouble and they won't win too many games giving up 30+ points for three quarters (many in the paint) either.

Note: not putting the Kings defensive ineptness on Cousins.

Cousins is producing ridiculous amount of offense at very good efficiency: since 00-01 season only LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Melo and T-Mac produced at similar or better level (32+USG%, .550+TS%). He is in constant threat of foul trouble in part because people can't stop him inside and swarm/fall before him trying to draw charges. You kick anyone off the team for not playing defense, before you ask him to increase his foul rate.

CruzDude

Catch-22. The Kings can't win with him sitting on the bench with foul trouble and they won't win too many games giving up 30+ points for three quarters (many in the paint) either.

So, guess its time for Kings to learn how to defend the pick-and-roll or get replaced by someone who can. True, we can't blame Cuz for team defense lapses but would love to take the cape out of his hands too.

Cousins is included as a poor defender but only when he is playing. Remove the two early fouls and our winning % goes at least 5%.

I hope McLemore is one who benefits from learning how to stay in front of his opponents. In my opinion, McLemore's athleticism gives him good chances at becoming a strong defender.