Breaking news from the forest!

It's getting colder, and the tree frogs and fence lizards have disappeared. I turned off the water timer, bought some fescue and red clover seed, stoked the wood stove all day, and tasted wine. Fall is finally here.

I bought a Flatiron mandolin from my latest C&W avatar celebrity in about 1984 at his music store on Marconi Avenue. My C&W celebrity used to play at Will's Point in Del Paso Heights. Senior Sacramento lifers might figure this one out. X-generation newcomers and hip-hoppers will have to research this guy to identify him. Hardcore C&Ws would easily recognize the name.

quick dog said:
It's getting colder, and the tree frogs and fence lizards have disappeared. I turned off the water timer, bought some fescue and red clover seed, stoked the wood stove all day, and tasted wine. Fall is finally here.

I bought a Flatiron mandolin from my latest C&W avatar celebrity in about 1984 at his music store on Marconi Avenue. My C&W celebrity used to play at Will's Point in Del Paso Heights. Senior Sacramento lifers might figure this one out. X-generation newcomers and hip-hoppers will have to research this guy to identify him. Hardcore C&Ws would easily recognize the name.
Could it be that original Texas Playboy, Tiny Moore, of both google and Tiny Moore Music Center fame?

http://www.countryworks.com/artist_full.asp?KEY=MOORET

Last edited:
Well done. Did you do this strickly with Google, or did you have an idea who it might have been?

Unlike so many famous musicians, this was really nice. One time, he had me pick a mandolin by turning my back and listening to it while he played.

I eventually crushed my first Flatiron in a bad motorcycle accident on 13 October 2001. Then a year later, I put it back together with some Elmers glue, a few c-clamps, bungicords, and blocks of wood. A little sanding, a shot of lacquer, and bingo. Sounds good. Check it out.

Attachments

Last edited:
quick dog said:
Well done. Did you do this strickly with Google, or did you have an idea who it might have been?
I'm sorry to admit that it was a quick google this time, QD! :eek: Your clues were REALLY good! Two fast searches; the first on required words of Sacramento and country and the phrase "electric mandolin". The second was an image search once I had his name from the first search. I wasn't absolutely sure I was right, but it was worth a guess, eh? :) Sorry to spoil your fun so quickly on this one, but I found a great photo and bio of him, didn't I?

I'm not a huge fan of C&W but I really do enjoy researching and learning so your avatar game is fun.

You should really have your own thread in the lounge for these! :D

KK!

I sort of feel bad about hijacking another one of VF21's threads, but at least I'm not talking about politics and death.

By the way, it's not raining in the forest. It's 42.4 F out there. The barometric pressure is holding steady at 30.1 inches of Hg.

I just finished cutting up a pumpkin. My daughter, about the last time I carved one. Haven't done that in about 20 years. As usual, my wife's out of town, so it's just me and Bill. He ain't much of a conversationist.

Attachments

Sunny and crisp in the Placerville area.

The latest avatar celebrity has played with many C&W stars. He was almost local feature in Sacramento. No more clues. You are getting too good.