Breaking News: Comcast on DishNetwork???

Got this from another website:

"am not sure if anyone else out there has any information on this but I live in Chico and was hoping I would not have to shell out the cash for NBA Season Ticket to watch the Kings this year. I just got off the phone with a Dish Network rep and they tell me that Comcast SportsNet West will appear on Dish Network channel 447 (sports alternate) starting tonight with the season opener. I checked SacBee and see that there is no official word that Comcast and Dish have struck a deal yet the rep says I am assured to see the game tonight and all Kings games here on out on Dish Network."

This was also confirmed by another poster on the board. I checked with my Dad who has Dish network and channel 447 is indeed a sports alternate channel. There may be hope

It's impossible to know if DirectTV will black out LP, since they threatened to last year but only 1 game was actually blacked out (did I say this somewhere else? If I did, I apologize).

Anyway, I believe in last hour deals (McGrady, Randolph, Richardson & Parker, et.al.). There's still more than two hours until tip-off.

Or, if you're tapping your fingers waiting for the game, ONLY a little than 2 hours to tip-off!!!

I just called Dish Network and was told that they have added Comcast Sports Net West and that tonight's game vs Dallas will be on. It is channel 447 in Sacramento and was told that the channel has now been added for good. I can't believe it!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've split this from the regular COMCAST thread, and sincerely hope it's true. The only strange thing would be the selection of 447 as the channel, since that's current one of the FoxSportsNet alternates. At this point, however, I don't think anyone would care.

Would someone with DishNetwork check their on-screen guides and see what, if anything, it shows?

I certainly hope this is true, especially for those Kings fans who cannot get League Pass...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just refreshed my on-screen guide and THERE IT IS! OMG!

447 - 5:30 p.m. - Kings v. Mavericks

Lucky you. I just checked my channel guide and it is not listed on my 447 but I live on the other side of the summit and that might not be considered Kings territory. At least I signed up for League Pass this yeat. Hope I do not face any blackouts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Refresh your on-screen guide. (Go to the guide, go forward until it starts to download...and then check). Mine didn't show until I did that.

I just called and cancelled League Pass.

That's great for you DISH people! :)

This is funny, when I came to this thread...the ad above is a DISH advertisement. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11295605p-12210729c.html

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dish Network to carry Kings-Mavericks game tonight

By Clint Swett -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 3:33 pm PST Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.
Signaling that they are close to a deal to carry Comcast's new sports network this season, Dish Network said it will carry tonight's Kings-Mavericks game on channel 447.

Steve Caulk, a spokesman for Denver-based satellite carrier, said his company is still negotiating with Comcast to carry the SportsNet West regional sports channel, which is scheduled to carry 52 Kings games this season. Caulk said Dish appeared close to completing a deal with Comcast, and said the decision to carry the season-opening game was part of the negotiations. He added that the network had no plans to carry Wednesday night's game against San Antonio unless the two companies reached a deal.

[/font]

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Keep in mind...the deal isn't quite finalized yet, although from what I've heard it is very, very close - a matter of dotting "i"s and crossing "t"s...

Life is good, here in the forest, with my beautiful satellite dish AND a sudden decrease in expected expenditures for the next three months!~!!

VF21, you are right, I just checked the on-screen guide and it showed up on both of my receivers. Did Dish Network give you any problems when you called in to cancel the NBA League Pass? I just called five days ago to subscribe to the League Pass because I did not think this deal would go through.

For DirecTV users, the Kings game is on channel NBA League Pass, channel 721 today. It's a free preview for the next couple of days, so we'll see if they black it out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
TruckeeKingsFan said:
VF21, you are right, I just checked the on-screen guide and it showed up on both of my receivers. Did Dish Network give you any problems when you called in to cancel the NBA League Pass? I just called five days ago to subscribe to the League Pass because I did not think this deal would go through.
They didn't give me any problems. Of course, I didn't mention the Comcast deal. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Everyone should be happy - and, interestingly enough, on my League Pass channels I could watch the Mavericks broadcast team!

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

VF21 said:
They didn't give me any problems. Of course, I didn't mention the Comcast deal. ;)
We watched the game on 447. Also had the Dallas broadcasters on 561 NBA League Pass. Just called in and cancelled League Pass and added the NBATV channel back on. They did not give me any problems. If fact, at the beginning of my call there was a message that Sacramento Kings games could be seen on 447. All is good in Kings land. Now lets hope for some wins. GO KINGS!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You can add just the NBA channel? How do you do that and what does it cost? I figured it was gone with League Pass. Please, tell me more!!!~

If you subscribe to the Top 180 you can add the NBATV channel for $5.99 a month. It is included in the multi-sports package. I only cancelled it because it was included with the League Pass. I have been subscribing to the multi-sports package for the past year and a half. That way I was able to watch all of the games that were shown on the NBATV channel. It is located on 402 if you subscribe to it through the multi-sports package. You get a lot of stations that are blacked out but a lot of the East Coast stations replay there NBA games. I think it is well worth the $5.99 a month.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Is the deal finalized yet? I was out of town yesterday (missed the Kings game completely). Got back today, and I understand that ch 447 on my dish will not carry the game tonight (San Antonio) unless the deal has been finalized. I am not seeing it on my guide.

No news about the deal being finalized yet although Dish Network has a noticed posted on their website that the deal should be finalized within the week. Tonights game is on News10 locally and 568 on League Pass.

DirecTV Response

I contacted DirecTV again, and here was their response. This one is better than the last two responses. QD

11/03/2004 05:43 PM

Dear QD,

Thanks for asking us about Comcast SportsNet West. Even though we don't
carry Comcast SportsNet West today, we are in discussions with the
network and hope to reach an agreement soon.

I understand how important area sports programming is to you, so I have
forwarded a copy of your message to our programming department. We're
always looking for ways to enhance our services, and customer
suggestions are very valuable.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest
news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Marie
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

11/02/2004 10:25 AM

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name: QD

[Account Number: ]

[Topic Selected: Programming]

Details: Please cut a deal with Comcast. We want to see the Kings
games this year and NBALP won't work because of NBA black-out policy.

Because of our location, Comcast cable service is impossible. If
DirecTV will not buy the Kings games from Comcast, Dish Network may do so.

QD, Placerville, CA

do you know what type of service we need to get in order to receive channel 447? i currently have the 50 channels line up from dish network. would this work?

thx