Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. As fans we have a certain view, generally clouded by our allegiances and our opinions are mostly based on feelings. Professional athletes look at it differently in most cases. How often would a player from team A go to the team B eventually and tea, A amd team B are great enemies?! Hell didn't Vlade leave the Kings to go to Lakers?!

One thing I can absolutely understand with majority European players is their love for the game but also certainty. If I was a star player in Europe earning damn good money, getting endorsement deals there, lifestyle, travel to see the whole of Europe and I am a two hour flight from home where I can go back and see my folks and childhood friends any time I have a couple of days off, why would I give all that up for an uncertainty of the NBA unless I am going to a good team with good amount of playing time?

Let me say ine thing, Bogdan Bogdanović will NEVER be a franchise player of any NBA team. He is not that level of talent. What he can be is a good, productive, smart NBA player in the right situation. By the right situation I mean in a team where they don't expect him to be their franchise guy but a good solid play off team that could use a productive SG who plays within the system, do the team things and score his fair share.

What is not a great situation for a player like Bogdan is a rebuilding team that is heavy on SG. Bogdan is in his mid 20s. By the time Kings start contending Bogdan will probably not be there anymore. Say he comes over but the owner creams his pants over Buddy as the next Curry. The Kings have Buddy who they will want to develop and pump in as much playing time into as possible. They also have Richardson with whoom they would want to do the same. Pump in as much development as possible and as much playing time as possible. Both of those guys are young enough to be there when the Kings plan to compete. Then there is Temple, a veteran leader you absolutely want on the rebuilding team and getting solid minutes to lead by example.

Where does that leave Bogdan, a mid 20s established European star?! Most likely on the outer because of the direction of the franchise.

Now imagine Bogdan on a team on the verge of the playoffs or a play off team. Lets imagine Bogdan on the Kings PRIOR to Boogie trade this year. A team fighting for a play off spot. A SG, area of need for the team fighting for the play off spot with a franchise player drawing the attention and rest of the team playing off that attention? Vastly different propositions for a player like Bogdan. On the team prior to the trade deadline, he is a player getting 25-30 minutes and contributing. Team is at the point where Bogdan is a player now and part of the future. On the Kings as currently constructed Bogdan is not that. Bogdan on a team like lets say the Pacers is a different proposition. Pop would love to have him in SA and he would be getting minutes there too and probably be one of their key players going forward with Leonard and LMA.

Let me reiterate that Bogdan is NOT a franchise level guy. He can be a good, solid, productive player in the NBA but a lot of his success depends on the team he goes to and where that team is at.

Now why would a European star in his mid 20s go 1000s of miles away from their home to ride the pine, get sporadic minutes for a franchise that is the laughing stock of the whole NBA and wider for a comparable money?! When they can get paid just as much in Europe from their contract and endorsements which he won't have in the NBA, be a major cog in the wheel of one of the best team in Europe and still be 2 hour flight away from home? It makes no sense. How often do your hear players say that its business? To them it is their occupation. They make a living playing basketball. That is why you see a lot of the stars in Europe chose to stay there and play their career there.
Very well put except "whom" is spelled with one "o." :)

People underestimate the human needs of a player. Boogie was wedded to Sacto and that was a given. That ship has sailed. Bogdan has a lot of reasons to stay in Europe. MANY reasons. I wonder how the situation would look to him if we had Boogie, didn't have Buddy or the other sg that came over with him, let McBen leave at the end of the season, and bought out Afflalo's contract. I am developing a liking for McBen but it is not an overwhelmingly passionate bromance. He can leave if we get Bogdan. That leaves us with far fewer sgs with Buddy, Bogdan, Temple (a must to keep), and Richardson. We can play Reke at pg or sg until a better idea comes along, perhaps a pg in the draft.

I understand the Boogie trade. Maybe I will come to like it but it leaves us with no magnet whatsoever to attract people to the Kings. How would Bogdan like it if he was considered a semi-major piece of importance to us if we rid ourselves of 3 sgs? Given that in the flow of a game small ball is not the worst matchup in the world, these sgs can get their minutes. There is good protection in case of injuries. We need that. Any team needs that.

There is the grand wonder of what we will be able to seduce with the large amount of cap money. We will have Boogie's money, probably Afflalo's, and probably Gays'. That's a tankful of green stuff.

How would that look to Bogdan, Čarolija, or at least your best estimate? My guess is that the the Kings look better as a destination if it appears that he will get significant minutes. All players like to play. We can overpay. The Kings only attraction at this point is that they can overpay.

Very well put except "whom" is spelled with one "o." :)

People underestimate the human needs of a player. Boogie was wedded to Sacto and that was a given. That ship has sailed. Bogdan has a lot of reasons to stay in Europe. MANY reasons. I wonder how the situation would look to him if we had Boogie, didn't have Buddy or the other sg that came over with him, let McBen leave at the end of the season, and bought out Afflalo's contract. I am developing a liking for McBen but it is not an overwhelmingly passionate bromance. He can leave if we get Bogdan. That leaves us with far fewer sgs with Buddy, Bogdan, Temple (a must to keep), and Richardson. We can play Reke at pg or sg until a better idea comes along, perhaps a pg in the draft.

I understand the Boogie trade. Maybe I will come to like it but it leaves us with no magnet whatsoever to attract people to the Kings. How would Bogdan like it if he was considered a semi-major piece of importance to us if we rid ourselves of 3 sgs? Given that in the flow of a game small ball is not the worst matchup in the world, these sgs can get their minutes. There is good protection in case of injuries. We need that. Any team needs that.

There is the grand wonder of what we will be able to seduce with the large amount of cap money. We will have Boogie's money, probably Afflalo's, and probably Gays'. That's a tankful of green stuff.

How would that look to Bogdan, Čarolija, or at least your best estimate? My guess is that the the Kings look better as a destination if it appears that he will get significant minutes. All players like to play. We can overpay. The Kings only attraction at this point is that they can overpay.
Like I have said before somewhere, while money is obviously important for everyone, it is not one of the key drivers with Bogdan. Playing time and success of the team IMHO will be more important than money. Money will be comparable no matter where he plays.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Like I have said before somewhere, while money is obviously important for everyone, it is not one of the key drivers with Bogdan. Playing time and success of the team IMHO will be more important than money. Money will be comparable no matter where he plays.
If so, we are screwed. I really want him and would love to have him as a replacement for a few other sgs. Can't imagine he cares what I think.

I understand the Boogie trade. Maybe I will come to like it but it leaves us with no magnet whatsoever to attract people to the Kings.
Because Carmelo, Wall, Bledsoe, Matthews, Anderson, etc were all banging their agents phones to come play with Boogie. Because WCS, Temple, Ben and all the other fellas were lamenting the loss of Boogie. Because Rondo begged to have another bite at the apple with the big guy.

I don't see any evidence that playing with Boogie was a draw for anyone. There is a lot of love for Boogie here and rightly so. He got exceptional numbers of points and rebounds - remarkable individual stats. But... he wasn't luring any Big 3 or any of that bullcrap. Never was gonna.

I want to rationalize it, but it feels like a real problem. If Buddy Heild is Vivek's darling boy - it's a problem for Bogdan. Not easy to get around it.
Buddy maybe Vivek's golden child, but Bogdan is Vlade' golden child.

I am sure Vlade will clear out some SGs by the time July rolls around. the only shooting guard guaranteed to be here in July is Buddy and probably Malachi (who will probably be told to bulk up to play some small forward next year).

In any instance, if Bogdan is truly a competitor and wants to compete against the best in the world, he would come to the NBA this summer. If he is afraid of a little competition for playing time, then I am not sure he would have what it takes to succeed in the NBA.

He can sign a 3 year contract with a player option, so that he can keep his options open. Honestly, if it doesn't work out for him here, he can always go back and play in Europe.

If he doesn't come over this year, his window for being a good to upper level NBA player will be closing fairly quickly.

When players like Allen Crabee got $18.5 million a year, after tax, you are still looking at $9 mil a year.

You don't need to be a franchise player to get an astronomical high contract anymore.

If he comes over now, signs a 3 year contract for good money, he will be a free agent when he is still in his 20's and may get an Allen crabee type contract in a few years.

If bodgan can prove to be a Danilo gallinari type player, he could easily get crabbe range contract or more in a few years.

No matter how many perks and ads he gets in Europe, I'm sure the difference in money on a second contract can sway a decision to go to the NBA now.

He should come to the NBA now, for the sake of his second NBA contract, not necessarily for the contract he will sign now.

The Kings currently have Temple, Richardson and Hield under contract for next season. That's a functional rotation with some hope for real growth out of Malachi and/or Buddy and a very steady vet in Temple. If Bogdanovic doesn't come over, the Kings have their SG rotation set.

If he DOES come to the Kings then I don't think the answer is to try and play guys out of position at the PG or SF spot - I think the answer is to trade a SG for help elsewhere. If Buddy Hield is Vivek's guy and Bogdan is Vlade's guy and Temple is exactly the type of guy you want on a rebuilding team then Malachi is the likely trade chip.

Right now the Kings have zero PGs signed for next season, zero SFs outside of Rudy (who may still opt out and even if he doesn't will miss half the season and likely never be the same player) and their only PFs are Tolliver and Skal. Richardson could likely be dealt for a similarly talented young player at PG or either forward spot.

Sure, guys like Temple and Afflalo have played SF. And Malachi and Bogdan have the size to possibly fill in there. But none of them are natural 3's.

If Bogdan comes over then hopefully you can trade Malachi to fill a different hole. And honestly if he doesn't come over I don't think it's a huge deal other than making the draft day trade look worse. Does Bogdanovic really represent a quantum leap over what Hield, Richardson or Temple can do? I think he could be a role player in the NBA and possibly a decent starter level player but does anyone think he'll be a star at this level?

So...we don't need to worry about a SG glut because he's our PG next year?
One of the Lead Guards! Imagine how much fun it would be to watch Bogdan, Willie and Skal play with two blue chip draft picks. Say Frank Ntilikina and Jayson Tatum. Sprinkle is Koufas, Temple, Hield, Malachi, Tolliver and one of Collison or Lawson. With Joerger, Turner and crew coaching a swarming, hustling defense and plenty of speed and shooting on offense it could get really interesting.

There will be salary to sign a veteran scoring PF like Zach Randolph.

Bogdan could be a key piece on a storybook team.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The Kings currently have Temple, Richardson and Hield under contract for next season. That's a functional rotation with some hope for real growth out of Malachi and/or Buddy and a very steady vet in Temple. If Bogdanovic doesn't come over, the Kings have their SG rotation set.

If he DOES come to the Kings then I don't think the answer is to try and play guys out of position at the PG or SF spot - I think the answer is to trade a SG for help elsewhere. If Buddy Hield is Vivek's guy and Bogdan is Vlade's guy and Temple is exactly the type of guy you want on a rebuilding team then Malachi is the likely trade chip.

Right now the Kings have zero PGs signed for next season, zero SFs outside of Rudy (who may still opt out and even if he doesn't will miss half the season and likely never be the same player) and their only PFs are Tolliver and Skal. Richardson could likely be dealt for a similarly talented young player at PG or either forward spot.

Sure, guys like Temple and Afflalo have played SF. And Malachi and Bogdan have the size to possibly fill in there. But none of them are natural 3's.

If Bogdan comes over then hopefully you can trade Malachi to fill a different hole. And honestly if he doesn't come over I don't think it's a huge deal other than making the draft day trade look worse. Does Bogdanovic really represent a quantum leap over what Hield, Richardson or Temple can do? I think he could be a role player in the NBA and possibly a decent starter level player but does anyone think he'll be a star at this level?
You make my head hurt with good questions. I suspect Bogdan is a good bench player as you do. I have a bromance with Malachi but we can see him in a few more games to get a better handle on his skill level. It seems a shame to trade a young stud whose future is not known but I'm not the guy who loaded this team up with SGs. My goodness, Vlade traded and got, in two trades, Richardson, Bogdan, Tyreke, Grayson or whatever his name is ($5 mil contract), and Hield. He better have something in mind because it appears brain dead.

I still have a lingering faith in Vlade but he brought over 3 SGs in the Boogie trade. Why?

I don't think you trade Malichi until you know what his ceiling would be. Especially now, since he is really an unknown, his trade value would be very low. I would much rather keep him and see what he can do and hope that he, Bogdan, and/or Temple can swing between SG and SF.

If I were to trade a player, I think Temple would be the one that has the most trade value to net you something decent in a trade. With the Kings so young, Temple will be on the downside of his career, by the time the Kings are ready to compete for deep playoff runs.

If the Kings are deep into their youth movement, they need to keep their youth and try and develop team chemistry around the young guns.

I would then draft a small forward with one of the 2 (hopefully) lottery picks.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Malachi to keep Temple. Temple is already at his ceiling. We have no idea what Malachi's is but I'd hate to wind up in another IT/Whiteside situation because we wanted to keep a veteran with limited skills.

Temple is great on an established team but he doesn't do much for a rebuild. It's nice to have a veteran presence for the young guys but not at the expense of giving up on a possible above average player.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't think you trade Malichi until you know what his ceiling would be. Especially now, since he is really an unknown, his trade value would be very low. I would much rather keep him and see what he can do and hope that he, Bogdan, and/or Temple can swing between SG and SF.

If I were to trade a player, I think Temple would be the one that has the most trade value to net you something decent in a trade. With the Kings so young, Temple will be on the downside of his career, by the time the Kings are ready to compete for deep playoff runs.

If the Kings are deep into their youth movement, they need to keep their youth and try and develop team chemistry around the young guns.

I would then draft a small forward with one of the 2 (hopefully) lottery picks.
Temple seems logical to trade. I would hope we get someone with his character and leadership back. I think I recently figured out that we would go into next year with 8 1st and 2nd year players if you throw in WCS. Guys like Temple do not grow on trees. He has a coach's mentality. These 8 players need to learn a lot and he is a teacher.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think it would be a mistake to trade Malachi to keep Temple. Temple is already at his ceiling. We have no idea what Malachi's is but I'd hate to wind up in another IT/Whiteside situation because we wanted to keep a veteran with limited skills.

Temple is great on an established team but he doesn't do much for a rebuild. It's nice to have a veteran presence for the young guys but not at the expense of giving up on a possible above average player.
Temple can teach Malachi. We are in a rough position.

Part of why I want Richardson to get healthy is to let him get some run at the end of the season and get a better feel for the type of player he is and what he could become.

I think the Kings should let McLemore walk this summer and waive Afflalo (only $1.5 M of his salary for next year is guaranteed I believe) unless Rudy opts out in which case Arron could stay on as an undersized backup SF if desired.

But if Bogdanovic comes over the question is which two shooting guards have the most potential. Buddy and Malachi will reach the end of their rookie deals at the same time and depending on Bogdanovic's contract he could as well. It's bad cap/roster management to have three young SGs all hitting free agency st the same time.

And while Temple is just a solid SG who is at his peak and will likely only stay the same or decline over the next two seasons I would rather have two young & promising SGs and a veteran to mentor them than three young SGs. Barring injury only two of them will ever get PT anyway. In s rebuild having vets that are good in the locker room, team-first guys who will help the youngsters approach the game the right way is invaluable.

And if you trade one of the young SGs (I'm assuming Malachi would be the one) it's not like you wouldn't get something back. A young PG or young PF of equal talent and/or potential would balance the team more than trying to find ways to get minutes for Buddy, Bogdan and Malachi.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

The also have Galloway under contract for next year. He's a SG.

And if you trade one of the young SGs (I'm assuming Malachi would be the one) it's not like you wouldn't get something back. A young PG or young PF of equal talent and/or potential would balance the team more than trying to find ways to get minutes for Buddy, Bogdan and Malachi.
Trading Malichi now won't net you much in return. A rookie averaging 3.6 points per game is not going to net anything of value in a trade.

His value potentially to the Kings (if he develops) will be way more than any player that we could get in a trade for him. Especially since all teams know we are overloaded with SG's.

You would be selling very low on a player with a lot of upside.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Trading Malichi now won't net you much in return. A rookie averaging 3.6 points per game is not going to net anything of value in a trade.

His value potentially to the Kings (if he develops) will be way more than any player that we could get in a trade for him. Especially since all teams know we are overloaded with SG's.

Probably true. Trade Galloway or does this player not exist?

Well then we're back to basically hoping Bogdanovic doesn't come over.

Well then we're back to basically hoping Bogdanovic doesn't come over.
I think you keep Buddy, Malichi and Bogdan and let them sort out who is the better player and who gets the PT.

One of Bogdan or Malichi will have to split some time at SF if they want to get onto the floor. Temple can split time at PG, SG, and SF or you can trade him for a PG or SF.

I just don't think it is wise to dump any young player right now, when you aren't going anywhere fast and you don't know what you have.

Look at the Clippers trading away Eric Bledsoe for Jared Dudley, do you think they would want a do over on that one?

For once, I want the Kings to be patient and figure out what they have before rushing players out the door.

I just laugh when people say that veterans are not needed in full rebuild. Players like Temple, Tolliver and even Kosta to a lesser degree are exactly the types of veterans you want on the rebuilding team. Coaches cannot be there with each youngster on the bench talking and educating. They have a game to coach.

People have not really been paying attention this season. Young players like Malachi, Skal, Buddy etc. take a seat next to a veteran when they are on the bench and constantly talk abut the game. How often do you see temple sitting on the bench and talking to young players pointing things out on the court as they are happening. Same for Tolliver!

Rebuilding is not about just loading up on the younsters and letting them play. Those kids need guidance and that guidance does come from the coaches but it hits home quicker and gets more attention if it is coming froma selft made veteran who are pros day in day out. Veterans point out little tricks of the trade while the game is happening and coaches are too busy coaching the actual game.

You listen to Christie talk and he will tell you exactly the same thing. He used to sit at the end of the bench with Williams and soak in everything the savvy vet was teaching him while the game was being played. He even said it himself that players are more receptive when it comes from a player. Not that they don't listen to the coaches but they value it more coming from a veteran.

Trading away Temple will be such a Kings thing to do....i.e. Dumb!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I just laugh when people say that veterans are not needed in full rebuild. Players like Temple, Tolliver and even Kosta to a lesser degree are exactly the types of veterans you want on the rebuilding team. Coaches cannot be there with each youngster on the bench talking and educating. They have a game to coach.

People have not really been paying attention this season. Young players like Malachi, Skal, Buddy etc. take a seat next to a veteran when they are on the bench and constantly talk abut the game. How often do you see temple sitting on the bench and talking to young players pointing things out on the court as they are happening. Same for Tolliver!

Rebuilding is not about just loading up on the younsters and letting them play. Those kids need guidance and that guidance does come from the coaches but it hits home quicker and gets more attention if it is coming froma selft made veteran who are pros day in day out. Veterans point out little tricks of the trade while the game is happening and coaches are too busy coaching the actual game.

You listen to Christie talk and he will tell you exactly the same thing. He used to sit at the end of the bench with Williams and soak in everything the savvy vet was teaching him while the game was being played. He even said it himself that players are more receptive when it comes from a player. Not that they don't listen to the coaches but they value it more coming from a veteran.

Trading away Temple will be such a Kings thing to do....i.e. Dumb!
Exactly. I suppose I could have just hit "like" but this is a big part of the learning process for the young folks. I remember specifically the phrase "players are more receptive when it comes from a player." It creates a problem when trying to figure out a trade but this mess was created by Vlade. Perhaps he has a solution. I sure hope so.

Exactly. I suppose I could have just hit "like" but this is a big part of the learning process for the young folks. I remember specifically the phrase "players are more receptive when it comes from a player." It creates a problem when trying to figure out a trade but this mess was created by Vlade. Perhaps he has a solution. I sure hope so.
Can you imagine how things might have worked out if the Kings had some solid veterans in place to help Tyreke and Cousins? We might be singing a very different tune right now.

If Bogdan comes this next season I would prefer a trade of one of the guards to playing someone at SF. Unless we are still weak at SF in which case we may have bigger problems than what to do with a glut of guards .
Perhaps Vlade has a plan beyond collecting SG's and hoping one sticks. As a position we have been anemic at for so long, I sure hope we end up with at least one good to great starter from this surplus.
Can Bogdan run point with our hopefully newly aquired lottery PG from the draft? Maybe Temple as the 3rd stringer PG?

I think you keep Buddy, Malichi and Bogdan and let them sort out who is the better player and who gets the PT.

One of Bogdan or Malichi will have to split some time at SF if they want to get onto the floor. Temple can split time at PG, SG, and SF or you can trade him for a PG or SF.

I just don't think it is wise to dump any young player right now, when you aren't going anywhere fast and you don't know what you have.

Look at the Clippers trading away Eric Bledsoe for Jared Dudley, do you think they would want a do over on that one?

For once, I want the Kings to be patient and figure out what they have before rushing players out the door.
I agree. I would hate to see Malichi traded before we even know what we got. Bogdans situation somewhat tics me off. Not all his fault but its a bit manipulative. String the Kings out while he waits for the non rookie contract..meanwhile we don't even know how well his game will translate to the NBA. Bogdan could also effect the way the Kings draft, however, seeing its Vlade at the helm the draft choices will probably make little sense anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.