Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming out of Butler? Nope.

But these days?

Hey, the Kings could have Temple, Hield, Richardson and Bogdanovic on the roster next year so I'm all for seeing if any of them can play spot minutes at the three. But it's definitely going to be matchup dependent.

So far Temple is the only one who has shown any level of success guarding SFs or PGs and even in his case I much prefer seeing him at the 2.
Was just talking about that the other day with some friends....he has gotten jacked since entering the NBA...and his hair has become magnificent

I always figured the Kings will pay him 10-12 million a year. The truth is the Kings will probably have to in order to get up near the league minimum they have to spend on players.
Just want to reiterate that we do not actually have to spend the minimum on contracts. There is no penalty. The delta would be distributed amongst the players on our roster. So, no need to overpay anybody.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Isn't that exactly the reason the Kings are in a position they currently in? Passing up on best player available to address a need. I've seen too much of it. If the BPA happens to be Malik Monk, then you draft him.
Perhaps I should have clarified better. When I made that statement, I wasn't referring to position, but to a player that had the skill level to play the game the way the Kings want to play. If you building a team that's going to move the ball, then obviously you want to draft players that are unselfish, and that can pass the ball. Nine times out of ten, the best players available are the players with the most skills. Perhaps I should have said I want the Kings so pick the best player available that fits what the team is trying to do. The idea is to improve the team. That means you don't try and put a square peg in a round hole.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not at all familiar with Euro contracts or what these guys actually get. How would a 4 yr-25 mil deal compare to what Bogdan is making now?
I'd love to sign him for that, but I'm betting he's going to get something closer to 9 or 10 mil a year. A lot for an unproven player, but he is one of the best players in Europe, and it's likely he hasn't come over before because he was waiting till he was no longer under rookie scale restrictions. This summer he's basically like an unrestricted free agent, except we hold all of his rights.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Nope. If anything they may have passed up the best player to just take what they liked or thought was BPA. If they drafted on need you might see the name Leonard on the back of a Kings jersey right now. Drafting 2 centers when you have an All star already isn't addressing need. Drafting a pure SG in Stauskas when you just drafted Ben McLemore isn't addressing need. That practice almost killed Willie's young career just like it might have done with TRob after the Kings drafted a PF after already having Jason Thompson and JJ Hickson. There is only so much opportunity for young players to break through. When you don't factor in need and pick players that don't fit your scheme or that fill a position already stacked you've pretty much doomed them from the start.
You draft Stauskas because the owner has a infatuation with shooting, the need was a PG. You draft Willie because he provides shot blocking next to Cousins, which is a need. They draft T Rob because he was a "supposed" rebounder in college, something the Kings needed at the time. You got me on the Papa draft pick though, that was puzzling. I don't think Vlade anticipated moving Cousins when he drafted him, but wanted a fall back option.

You draft Stauskas because the owner has a infatuation with shooting, the need was a PG. You draft Willie because he provides shot blocking next to Cousins, which is a need. They draft T Rob because he was a "supposed" rebounder in college, something the Kings needed at the time. You got me on the Papa draft pick though, that was puzzling. I don't think Vlade anticipated moving Cousins when he drafted him, but wanted a fall back option.
McLemore looked like a total bust as a rookie, and it was easier to acquire a PG that summer via free agency if I believe correctly. But McLemore was so bad that SG was still a prime need. TRob was a consensus pick, BPA, that "fell" to the Kings in the draft. In that sense if Ball or Fox fall to 10 after taking another PG at 8, it might be worth it asset wise if it isn't a position need

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
McLemore looked like a total bust as a rookie, and it was easier to acquire a PG that summer via free agency if I believe correctly. But McLemore was so bad that SG was still a prime need. TRob was a consensus pick, BPA, that "fell" to the Kings in the draft. In that sense if Ball or Fox fall to 10 after taking another PG at 8, it might be worth it asset wise if it isn't a position need
Considering that the Kings usually like to draft players they bring in for workouts and that Petrie was high on Lillard, it didn't make sense to draft Robinson but who knows how much influence management had in that. What PG could the Kings acquire in that summer that was realistic? Ball isn't dropping to 8, he might drop out of the top 3 but that's about it IMO. Fox, he played well enough in the tournament to bolster his position to be drafted before the Kings have a chance at him, too bad too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Considering that the Kings usually like to draft players they bring in for workouts and that Petrie was high on Lillard, it didn't make sense to draft Robinson but who knows how much influence management had in that. What PG could the Kings acquire in that summer that was realistic? Ball isn't dropping to 8, he might drop out of the top 3 but that's about it IMO. Fox, he played well enough in the tournament to bolster his position to be drafted before the Kings have a chance at him, too bad too.
I know for a fact that Petrie wanted to draft Lillard. The Maloofs were determined to draft a PF, plus they wanted a player with name recognition. They overruled Petrie that year, just like they did with Jimmer.

T Rob was drafted because the Maloofs (remember them?) were balking at paying then Free Agent to be Jason Thompson a big contract. In hindsight the Maloofs were correct in not wanting to sign JT, but for the wrong reasons.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well I've watched every bit of film I can lay my eyes on of Bogdanovic. For those doing so, I recommend looking at the date of the film to keep it in proper reference. For instance, DraftExpress has a video breakdown of his game, strengths and weaknesses, that's very well done. But it was made in late 2013 prior to his being drafted. If they have any current information, I couldn't find it. But I digress..

If you watch DraftExpress breakdown from 2013, and then watch more current film, especially in reference to his weaknesses, you'll see remarkable improvement in the areas they point to, which shouldn't be a surprise. My point is, don't watch old film and believe that's who Bogdanovic is today. He's a gym rat who constantly works on his game, and has made a lot of improvements since 2013/14. His defensive stance has improved along with his focus. It's still a work in progress, and I think he still overplays the passing lanes a little too much, which can get you burn't in the NBA, but none the less, he's a better defender today than he was before he was drafted.

He's a good athlete, and with his length and lateral quickness, which is above average, he has the potential to be a good defender. His ballhandling is tighter now than it was then, and his decision making has improved, although he does tend to force things at times. He appears to make better decisions in the open court than in the half court, although his interior passing has improved. He knows he's good, and knows the other team knows that as well, and he uses it by penetrating, drawing a crowd, and then dishing to the open man. His turnovers come when the other team anticipates his pass, although he's cut down on those turnovers.

I won't go on and on about him, other than to say I think he's the real deal. He plays in a tough league against grown and experienced men, and is one of the best players in that league. Some scouts would argue that he is the best player. So the transition for him to the NBA shouldn't be nearly as tough as transitioning from college to the NBA. He's a supremely confident player, who thinks he's better than his competition. Should be interesting when he comes over. Hopefully this year.

Weren't the Kings a top 10 rebounding team trending upwards in that category the year going into the TRob draft? I think after that with Cousins and Thompson there were a couple years were they were in the top 3-5 in rebounding. TRob never figured into that. I remember rebounding being a huge issue in the Artest/Kmart era.

I don't remember the pick making much sense to me but I'm more about BPA than drafting for immediate need(since rookies rarely are an immediate solution) and everybody was high on him

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Weren't the Kings a top 10 rebounding team trending upwards in that category the year going into the TRob draft? I think after that with Cousins and Thompson there were a couple years were they were in the top 3-5 in rebounding. TRob never figured into that. I remember rebounding being a huge issue in the Artest/Kmart era.

I don't remember the pick making much sense to me but I'm more about BPA than drafting for immediate need(since rookies rarely are an immediate solution) and everybody was high on him
I guess what it really boiled down to was name recognition. Nobody knew a Damian Lillard out of Weber State. Everyone knew Robinson out of Kansas though.

Easy win for Fenerbahce (79-61) , but a quiet game for Bogdan. They had a big lead entire game, so he didn't have motivation to step up and his performance didn't harm his team a lot. He played 33 minutes (not sure why that much in garbage time), scored 10 points (3/9 fg, 2/2 ft), 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 7 turnovers. Turnovers were a little overrated because some of them wasn't his fault, but he still didn't "respect" a ball enough. Tried some tough passes, and failed...

However, excellent top 8 phase for Bogdan, and waiting for final 4. I hope he will step up again....

Last edited:
I guess what it really boiled down to was name recognition. Nobody knew a Damian Lillard out of Weber State. Everyone knew Robinson out of Kansas though.
I remember most drafts had Lillard going to the Kings at 5 until Cleveland picked Waiters, which surprised most, at 4 throwing Robinson into our lap. Fresh off success in the tournament combined with JT's pending status and the Maloofs in the height of their cheap arse ways made Robinson an attractive pick. Lillard was pretty well recognized but the knock was is he more a small SG than a PG. Curry coming out of Davidson had started a trend to recognize PG's/combos from small schools. In 2013 McCollum from Lehigh looked like our probable pick until Ben fell into our lap.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Your are precisely and exactly correct. The Maloofs were in the process of trying to sell the team, and yet they still wanted to put butts in the seats because of having financial problems. They felt that Robinson had name recognition and Lillard didn't. It was the exact same reason they drafted Fredette.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I remember most drafts had Lillard going to the Kings at 5 until Cleveland picked Waiters, which surprised most, at 4 throwing Robinson into our lap. Fresh off success in the tournament combined with JT's pending status and the Maloofs in the height of their cheap arse ways made Robinson an attractive pick. Lillard was pretty well recognized but the knock was is he more a small SG than a PG. Curry coming out of Davidson had started a trend to recognize PG's/combos from small schools. In 2013 McCollum from Lehigh looked like our probable pick until Ben fell into our lap.
You have to remember that the average fan on the street isn't on this forum. Yeah, we all knew who Lillard was, but you asked the average fan coming out of ARCO at that time, most wouldn't have any idea who he was. On the other hand, Robinson's name had been splashed all over sports pages because of Kansas run in the tournament. Did more people know who Jimmer Fredette was, or did more know who Klay Thompson was? Did more people know who Jimmer Fredette was, or did more know who Kawhi Leonard was?

You have to remember that the average fan on the street isn't on this forum. Yeah, we all knew who Lillard was, but you asked the average fan coming out of ARCO at that time, most wouldn't have any idea who he was. On the other hand, Robinson's name had been splashed all over sports pages because of Kansas run in the tournament. Did more people know who Jimmer Fredette was, or did more know who Klay Thompson was? Did more people know who Jimmer Fredette was, or did more know who Kawhi Leonard was?
Point taken. I'm a huge fan of the draft and follow college players as much as time allows, but living overseas and making it to Sacramento on average once every two years does not clue me into what most fans know or don't know.
Damnn those Maloofs were tight arses and their desire for big names over proper scouting should have made Petrie go gray. So happy that garbage is behind us as well as the hideous draft consideration with Hickson. Free at last, free at last....

We were going to pick Waiters that year, I was sure of it at the time. Never thought we were gonna take Lillard.

We were going to pick Waiters that year, I was sure of it at the time. Never thought we were gonna take Lillard.
I was on a different forum site at the time. Seemed like most folks there were talking Lillard or Barnes if he fell. I was sort of hoping MKG would last tell 5 because I too questioned a 6'3" SG morphing into a PG.

Your are precisely and exactly correct. The Maloofs were in the process of trying to sell the team, and yet they still wanted to put butts in the seats because of having financial problems. They felt that Robinson had name recognition and Lillard didn't. It was the exact same reason they drafted Fredette.
Petrie himself said that he liked Lillard but that it didn't seem like they were going to be able to re-sign Jason Thompson (!) so he thought the need was for a PF.

I was on a different forum site at the time. Seemed like most folks there were talking Lillard or Barnes if he fell. I was sort of hoping MKG would last tell 5 because I too questioned a 6'3" SG morphing into a PG.
The talk at the time was that Petrie really wanted Waiters, which led me to believe he was taking someone else. No one expected Robinson to still be there.

Peja pick says Petrie didnt give a crap about name recognition. TR was a maloof pick to hedge against overpaying JT.

Status
Not open for further replies.