Blow It Up

The Thunder route is loserville. You don't have to go down that route. With the draft odds being rearranged it's a very iffy proposition to rebuild by intentionally losing.
With the current odds the third seed in the lottery has 52.1% chance for a top 4 pick. Tenth seed has 13,9% chance for a top 4 pick and a 86,9% chance for 10th or lower. Thats quite significant and thats the difference between desperately chasing the play in and retooling for the future and playing the young guys. If you do it the whole year you could even have a chance to even better odds by being 2nd or 1st or if you get more wins then atleast you apparrently have some good young guys and bunch of additional draft capital

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Knowing that your only foundational pieces (Mitchell, Haliburton, maybe Holmes) are on team friendly deals for several years, I think you do exactly what OKC did. Deal guys like Barnes, Bagley, and Hield to other teams for their bad contracts and draft capital. Deal Fox for a larger haul similar to what the Bucks gave up for Jrue Holiday though ideally with higher picks.

Then you give the young guys all the minutes they can handle to see what you have there. Best case you have a piece (Queta, King, maybe Ramsey or Metu) that can be a solid rotational guy in the future. I think you'd see great effort but a lot of losses just because of the youth and lack of top tier talent.

You grab a kid like Banchero, Jabari Smith, maybe even Chet Holmgren with your own pick and let Monte continue to find good value with any later 1sts you got via trade.

You'd still have some veterans on bloated contracts for a couple years, but if the team's core next year was:

C Holmes/Queta (assuming there wasn't a great deal worth making for Richaun)
PF Banchero/Metu/Woodard
SF King
SG Haliburton/Ramsey
PG Mitchell

and another 1st rounder or two (Kendell Brown, Damion Collins, Ousmane Dieng, Roko Prkacin, Max Christie and Jabari Walker are some guys I currently like that should be available either late lottery or into the mid to late 20's)

would be a much more balanced and promising team than holding on to Fox, Hield, and Barnes.

Even with a great draft that team will probably be in line for one more lottery pick the next year before turning the corner.

I get Kings fans' reluctance to going this route. Yes, lottery odds have changed a bit, but more than anything I think it's the notion that the Kings have had countless lottery picks and have still managed to be bad. But for an example of what happens when it's done right you can look at the Sonics/Thunder and their drafts of Durant, Westbrook & Ibaka, and James Harden in three consecutive drafts.

OKC built a contending team primarily on the strength of those picks. And even when they had to make a decision between Harden and Ibaka and dealt Harden, they got a ton back for him. It's part of why they had the capital to trade for Paul George and part of why they now have a war chest of picks when they traded Westbrook and PG13. And that's after they lost their best player (KD) for nothing.

Lottery picks are the lifeblood of small market teams. They have to get high picks, but (and this is the point the Kings always miss) they have to HIT on those picks. I mean, even San Antonio's course was largely predicated on two #1 overall picks in Robinson and Duncan. They were masterful about roster building around those two (and later just Duncan) but the foundation were those two picks.

I doubt the Kings will go this route. But I don't see any other way to change the franchise's fortunes at this point. And barring a miracle deal from McNair, everyone on the team magically raising their game several notches, or a Giannis-like late lottery pick, I don't see anything else that's going to keep me from tuning out in the near future. I'm just about there as it is. At least a big gamble rebuild is a strategy.
Having candle-night vigils praying over getting lucky in the lottery isn't a strategy. It's a joke. I'm not against getting a couple of 1st in trade deals, but should not be the center piece of any legitimate strategy, but more like the icing on the cake. Robinson and Duncan are prehistoric history now, what with the change in lottery odds. If you want to pray, start praying about getting another Joker with a 2nd round pick.

I think owners often underestimate the intelligence of their fan base. Fans aren't dumb. And in one sport towns like Sacramento, Green Bay, Portland etc fans are generally very tuned in and knowledgable. If the Kings made this pivot the fans would understand what the strategy is. Of course, McNair would have to execute on that strategy long term, but I don't think fan support would change much from where it is now. You might even get more engagement. Because at least it would be clear that there's a plan. And a chance for things to get better. Both are lacking right now IMO.

And honestly, I'd rather watch a squad of young scrappy 2nd rounders and 2-way guys along with Hali and Mitchell than what we're seeing now.
Right. Because we know this expensive core is basically tapped out at like a 35-39 win team. Which is literally just death in the NBA and the absolute nut low position to be in as a franchise.

Prioritizing Monte's prospects shows a direction of the franchise. Not that we're actively trying to throw games, but hey, we're building this thing for 2 years down the line and we're going to try to find a Draymond/Jokic/Brogdon type that can drastically upshift the direction of the franchise.

With the current odds the third seed in the lottery has 52.1% chance for a top 4 pick. Tenth seed has 13,9% chance for a top 4 pick and a 86,9% chance for 10th or lower. Thats quite significant and thats the difference between desperately chasing the play in and retooling for the future and playing the young guys. If you do it the whole year you could even have a chance to even better odds by being 2nd or 1st or if you get more wins then atleast you apparrently have some good young guys and bunch of additional draft capital
Another way of putting this is that you can have the worst record in the league and still have a 48% chance of getting the #5 pick. So, no matter how bad you are, you’re still flipping a coin to get one of the cherry lottery picks. Is guaranteeing a top 7 or so pick with outside odds of getting to the top 3 worth it? Maybe. But you’re also seriously running the risk of tanking your talent down to zero, getting the #5 pick in a 4 person draft, and not just being a treadmill 30 win team but a treadmill 15 win team

The OKC approach actually hedges against this. They’re not outright tanking since they are picking up legit talent (Shai, Dort). Having multiple lotto tickets is good and they’re not relying on their own picks hitting

Keep Holmes, Hali and Mitchell, and maybe Barnes if the reconstituted Kings' team has a chance of winning in the near term. I don't buy into the notion of doing the Philly-like "process" and tearing it down to the studs to just getting draft picks. As capt bill said in a great post, the new drafting odds make such a "process" a losing proposition.

The Kings must get players that work well together and players who consistently put in the effort, especially on defense, in every game. To my mind the team that should be used as a model is New Jersey. Not the NJ of today prior to when Durant, Harden and Irving joined the club. It was a team of mostly no-names (the biggest name was Russell, a cast-off of the Lakers) that worked very hard every game, were well coached, and they seemed to accept their roles gladly rather than despondently. They were very fun to watch and they did get to the playoffs. Once their reputation was established as a very competitive solid club, voila, they got some major free agents. And no, I would not expect the Kings could ever land the caliber of FA of New Jersey, but they could get some very good FAs if they established themselves as a reputable team rather than a joke.
I'm extremely happy with Mitchell, but look at the quality of the prospects ahead of him that are absolutely thriving: Mobley at 3, Barnes at 4, Giddey at 6, even Franz at 8 with his positional value. It doesn't have to be winning the lottery to find those star-caliber talents. All those guys look like foundational pieces moving forward and being in the top 5-6 picks gives you a much better chance of actually finding upper-tier starters/star players than the back end of the lottery does. Monte has hit it out of the park with Mitchell/Hali for where they were drafted, but what if we had the 3rd pick in the last 2 drafts? How excited would we be for a Melo/Mobley core?

I was sitting 4 rows behind the Kings bench last night. When the Lakers run started in the third, there was a mood change where everyone on the bench disengaged. Fox was listless to start the 4th…I thought there was something wrong with him and wondered if he was going to come back in at all.

I agree that this needs to be blown up. I just wish the core of players had a little more fight in them as the ship is sinking. This kind of culture is really hard to change.
They cut to the bench at one point when the Lakers first started their run but the game was still within single digits. The look on Fox's face told the whole story. He didn't even look like he was mentally in the building.

Hopefully Vivek finally realizes he needs to butt out and he's actually losing money by trying to push for the 8th seed, rather than let a GM build a contender that will consistently be in the playoffs for 5+ years. The "Monte ball" prospects have shown me more than enough that he's a good judge of talent and assuming we could bottom out this year with a new warchest from Fox/Buddy/Barnes and maybe Holmes that you could turn this around real real fast with Fox/Mitchell already in place.

I think virtually every Kings fan would vastly enjoy watching a rotation of like:

Mitchell
Hali || Ramsey
King || Woodard
Metu || Bagley || Woodard
Len || Queta

and just seeing what those young guys could do. They'll suck, but at least they'll suck properly and we'd give ourselves potentially the chance to see if any of these guys can really spike and be a key contributor in the long-term. It'd certainly be better than watching an 80 mil core max out at being a 35 win team for the 3rd consecutive season and being the 11th worst team in basketball.
Yep I'd much rather watch terrible basketball with some hope for the future, rather than slightly less terrible basketball with no hope.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another way of putting this is that you can have the worst record in the league and still have a 48% chance of getting the #5 pick. So, no matter how bad you are, you’re still flipping a coin to get one of the cherry lottery picks. Is guaranteeing a top 7 or so pick with outside odds of getting to the top 3 worth it? Maybe. But you’re also seriously running the risk of tanking your talent down to zero, getting the #5 pick in a 4 person draft, and not just being a treadmill 30 win team but a treadmill 15 win team

The OKC approach actually hedges against this. They’re not outright tanking since they are picking up legit talent (Shai, Dort). Having multiple lotto tickets is good and they’re not relying on their own picks hitting
Exactly

There's a huge leadership void. And a point on body language - Did anyone else notice the juxtaposition of Buddy Hield & Richaun Holmes body language after the game? Hield was smiling & laughing w/ A-Davis after the game, along with Thompson while Holmes was serious and had a look of "we're better than this, not satisfied" as he walked off the court. The camera went to both back 2 back. People might think, "Oh players can't smile at each other after a game" ... And actually - No. If you're a Kings player and know you just played a terrible half, got blown out at home, you wouldn't immediately have a big grin on your face after a game talking to the opposing team's player. It's 1 thing if it was a quick 2 second smile from something Davis said, but Hield was smiling ear to ear. That's not a natural reaction after a loss for a guy that cares about winning games and building a winning culture, immediately after a game.

Sounds harsh but I think guys like Hield and Fox are losing players. Fox for different reasons, but his body language is terrible too. One point - He constantly whines to the ref after turning the ball over, it's so predictable and most of the time he's late getting back on defense as a result. The epitome of a loser mentality to let a previous play affect the next play. Plays like that led to a downward spiral.

Not to mention every time the opposing team gets hot - I hate how the Kings immediately look to the bench as if they are waiting for a timeout to be called ... Keep on playing! Rally your team instead of looking to the bench to bail you out when the other team gets hot. Even if it's a 2 second glare I notice it - and again, it's a loser mentality because it's 2 seconds a player loses inbounding the ball or getting ahead of the defense. Again it boils down to letting the previous play affect the next play - Which to reiterate, is a part of a losing culture.

How is that corrected? By shipping the guys with that losing mentality out.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Say you get an All Star HOFer-ability center by getting the number 1 pick in the draft. Yippee! We did it! We got the guy we need! Unfortunately, he's an injury ridden mess. Then you get an All Star unicorn point guard. Fantastic! NBA Championship here we come! Unfortunately, the unicorn point guard is a mental case. Philly had much better odds than we would have in the lottery and that's what it got them after several years. Forget the burn it to the ground go with first rounders approach. First rounders should be the complementary piece to what the Kings get in trades, not the center piece.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe Fox has dropped in value. As Jones was saying during the game, he talked to a scout who valued Fox highly. Barnes is in his prime and definitely has value. Why should we care if he doesn't have value to a "rebuilding team"? If he's traded he should be of high value to a team in the "playoff hunt" or a "championship hunt."
Fox definitely still has value. Is it the same value as last season when he was averaging 5 more ppg on 47% from the field and 32% from 3 (vs 43% and 26% this season) and was the best guard finisher in the paint and one of the top 4th quarter scorers in the league? I don't know that it is.

Here's why Barnes value matters. Because he'll be a 30 FA after next season. I'm not pointing at you specifically but Kings fans (especially on this board) generally complain loudly every time the Kings lose an "asset" for nothing. How many times have we discussed Bogi signing with the Hawks with many people pointing to it as a failure by McNair. Do you see the Kings re-signing HB? I don't. So why wait to trade him? His value will only drop as he gets closer to free agency, first over the summer and then at next year's trade deadline.

But you may be misunderstanding what I said. By not having value to a rebuilding team I mean that it makes little sense for the Kings to hang on to him if they decide to trade Fox and go with a youth movement. So we may actually agree on that point. I don't know.

As for NJ, it's irrelevant why they were scrappy. Does it matter whether you get scrappy out of necessity or out of an outcome you desire? The point is that they were scrappy and it yielded a fun, competitive product. The Kings are in a *better* position than NJ was. If anything, the Kings should come out of this *better* than NJ when they rebuilt, that is if they have a GM up to the job.
I mean scrappy from a management perspective, not a team/player perspective. They were forced into that talent acquisition pathway but yes, they did a decent job acquiring talent under the circumstances. Some bad contracts etc but a decent job by Marks. Still that team won (I believe) 40 games at its best with not a lot of ceiling left before they signed Durant and Irving.

The Thunder route is loserville. You don't have to go down that route. With the draft odds being rearranged it's a very iffy proposition to rebuild by intentionally losing. Banking your life on a lottery is loserville, whether it's in the NBA or in real life.
If that's loserville I don't know what that makes Sacramento. The Thunder are currently 1 game behind the Kings with a massively more promising future.

The odds are still very clear that its much more beneficial to be top 3 entering the lottery compared to 9-12th range and there is no question about it. Especially considering the data that its much more likely to draft top level talent in the top of the draft compared to 9-12th range. The difference is statistically very big.

I would very much like the OKC approach where we collect as much future draft capital as possible by trading away our vets and/or taking in some salary dumps while playing the young guys and giving us the best possible odds to get a high draft pick.

Say you get an All Star HOFer-ability center by getting the number 1 pick in the draft. Yippee! We did it! We got the guy we need! Unfortunately, he's an injury ridden mess. Then you get an All Star unicorn point guard. Fantastic! NBA Championship here we come! Unfortunately, the unicorn point guard is a mental case. Philly had much better odds than we would have in the lottery and that's what it got them after several years. Forget the burn it to the ground go with first rounders approach. First rounders should be the complementary piece to what the Kings get in trades, not the center piece.
This Philly/process discussion has been had here multiple times so I dont want to go too much into it. They had huge amount of draft capital, so much that they could afford to miss on some picks, have horrible front office come and spend it all very badly and they are still a lock for a playoff team year after year. If you want to compare it to the Kings "process" of chasing the 8th-10th seed and not getting any additional draft capital, its hard to say that we have made the right choise by doing what we have done.

I think what the people here are saying is that we lack talent, especially top level talent. We arent a good role player away to be a team thats almost a sure playoff team year after year. We have bunch of role players that could be role players on playoff teams: Barnes, Hield, Haliburton, Holmes and Mitchell all could play big minutes for a good team. We lack the top level talent that impacts the game a lot. We lack players that can dramatically raise the ceiling and the floor on a team.

The best way for a small market team is to get that talent via draft. Data strongly indicates that in order to do that you should position yourself as close to the top of the draft as you can. With rebuilding thats just a one thing that will happen. You should also accumulate additional draft capital in order to increase the odds to draft either a top level talent or a young cost controlled role player.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm extremely happy with Mitchell, but look at the quality of the prospects ahead of him that are absolutely thriving: Mobley at 3, Barnes at 4, Giddey at 6, even Franz at 8 with his positional value. It doesn't have to be winning the lottery to find those star-caliber talents. All those guys look like foundational pieces moving forward and being in the top 5-6 picks gives you a much better chance of actually finding upper-tier starters/star players than the back end of the lottery does. Monte has hit it out of the park with Mitchell/Hali for where they were drafted, but what if we had the 3rd pick in the last 2 drafts? How excited would we be for a Melo/Mobley core?
And who is to say you can't get that kind of talent for Fox? Maybe there's a team out there that needs a point guard much more than their very good shooting guard currently on their roster? As examples, Anthony Edwards or Jalen Brown. You have to ask yourself: If Monte can find good value in the draft pool, is there any reason he can't find value in the NBA pool? Leaving aside the above examples, McNair should be focused on getting young NBA or G-league talent (less than 25 years old) that for whatever reason doesn't fit or is redundant or is undervalued on the team on which they currently reside (or maybe the team is just desperate for Fox or Barnes as their missing piece). Then you don't have to wait for 4-5 years before they know how to play basketball because when you purchase them you purchase some experience in the NBA. Then you have some guys who are hungry with chips on their shoulders. Then you don't have prima donnas who think the world is owed to them, but instead are willing to do anything you ask of them in order to make their way in the NBA. Then you don't have to pray that you luck out in the lottery with just the right player who might or might not get you to the playoffs three or four or five years from now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sixers were a #1 seed last year. The Kings are about to set a record for futility in terms of consecutive seasons missing the playoffs.

But let's flip the conversation around. Can you name a mediocre, end of the lottery small market team that rebuilt on the fly and became a perennial playoff contender? I'm asking legitimately. Because the only one that comes to mind for me is the 1999 Sacramento Kings.

But unless Monte makes a Richmond for Webber level deal for Fox, signs a Vlade level talent in free agency and drafts two mid and late lottery rookies the level of JWill and Peja (who was actually drafted in 96 of course) I don't know that he can replicate that type of turnaround.

I can name a LOT of franchises that were turned around by one or more top 3 or top 5 draft picks. I can literally only think of that Kings team as one that became a legit contender by retooling a mediocre roster. I suppose you could name the Suns with CP3 but Ayton (though not the main driver) was a #1 overall pick. Can you think of a team that went from where this Kings team is now to a perennial playoff team or even a champion?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Sixers were a #1 seed last year. The Kings are about to set a record for futility in terms of consecutive seasons missing the playoffs.

But let's flip the conversation around. Can you name a mediocre, end of the lottery small market team that rebuilt on the fly and became a perennial playoff contender? I'm asking legitimately. Because the only one that comes to mind for me is the 1999 Sacramento Kings.

But unless Monte makes a Richmond for Webber level deal for Fox, signs a Vlade level talent in free agency and drafts two mid and late lottery rookies the level of JWill and Peja (who was actually drafted in 96 of course) I don't know that he can replicate that type of turnaround.

I can name a LOT of franchises that were turned around by one or more top 3 or top 5 draft picks. I can literally only think of that Kings team as one that became a legit contender by retooling a mediocre roster. I suppose you could name the Suns with CP3 but Ayton (though not the main driver) was a #1 overall pick. Can you think of a team that went from where this Kings team is now to a perennial playoff team or even a champion?
the Clippers but that involved them winning the lottery and getting the first overall pick, said first overall pick missing a full season, and them being the other LA team after the league refused to trade CP3 to the Lakers.

And who is to say you can't get that kind of talent for Fox? Maybe there's a team out there that needs a point guard much more than their very good shooting guard currently on their roster? As examples, Anthony Edwards or Jalen Brown. You have to ask yourself: If Monte can find good value in the draft pool, is there any reason he can't find value in the NBA pool? Leaving aside the above examples, McNair should be focused on getting young NBA or G-league talent (less than 25 years old) that for whatever reason doesn't fit or is redundant or is undervalued on the team on which they currently reside (or maybe the team is just desperate for Fox or Barnes as their missing piece). Then you don't have to wait for 4-5 years before they know how to play basketball because when you purchase them you purchase some experience in the NBA. Then you have some guys who are hungry with chips on their shoulders. Then you don't have prima donnas who think the world is owed to them, but instead are willing to do anything you ask of them in order to make their way in the NBA. Then you don't have to pray that you luck out in the lottery with just the right player who might or might not get you to the playoffs three or four or five years from now.
I don't disagree with this at all. @twslam07 had a few really interesting looking trade proposals for some of the Warriors young guys and for Pat Williams on the Bulls. Same idea, flip your win now veterans for potential youth upside down the line. Doesn't have to be picks.

The Suns have honestly been built through really strong drafts the last few years. That team doesn't go without Ayton/Bridges and Cam Johnson providing an awesome supporting cast around CP3 and Booker. Take those 3 away and the Suns aren't near the same level of team they've been the last year and a half, even with CP3 on board.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I've told you who I think the model for the Kings should be. NJ is a perennial playoff contender, and they didn't need Durant, Harden and Irving to get there. They could just as easily have gotten lesser FAs and been in the playoffs for many a year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Clippers but that involved them winning the lottery and getting the first overall pick, said first overall pick missing a full season, and them being the other LA team after the league refused to trade CP3 to the Lakers.
Yeah, a bit of an in between given that Blake WAS a #1 overall pick, but I think that qualifies as another example. But the larger takeaway from that retooling is that if you have a chance to get CP3 on a bargain trade you always take it. I mean I dislike him as a player but Paul has elevated every franchise he's been a part of. He made the Thunder competitive and they basically took him on as a bad contract at that point. Kind of amazing.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've told you who I think the model for the Kings should be. NJ is a perennial playoff contender, and they didn't need Durant, Harden and Irving to get there. They could just as easily have gotten lesser FAs and been in the playoffs for many a year.
I'm not sure that's true. Prior to Durant and Irving they made the playoffs twice, once with a losing record (35-37) and once at 42-40 and failed to win a playoff series either time. But yes, I would take a young, middling playoff team that plays hard over what the Kings currently are.

Can McNair build that type of team on the fly with the pieces we have? I guess we'll see because it sure seems like Vivek is dead set against a full rebuild.

Or we do nothing, finish out of the playoffs, pick 11th, and it’s another guard Benedict Matheus who’s fallen a little below where he was expected and is the BPA and we claim he’s the piece to finally get us to the play-in. Next year is our year, baby!!!!
this makes the most sense with Vivek at the helm. Rest of y’all dreaming

I'll just fill out the rest of the responses for you guys so we don't have to waste our time rehashing the same old arguments....

Kings need to tank to get the #1 pick.

Having the worst record doesn't guarantee you the #1 pick.

I know but it gives you the best odds.

They'll just pick a bust with it anyway.

They've got to get lucky at some point and pick an all star.

Having an all star doesn't guarantee you a playoff berth.

I know but it's better than not having an all star.

TANKING IS DISRESPECTFUL TO THE FANS AND THE GAME!!!

Would you rather finish as the 11th seed and pick 10th in the draft again?

CJ McCollum was picked 10th.

There are other ways to go about it than losing on purpose.

I don't mean losing on purpose, I mean tanking by developing the younger players and trading the vets.

What do you guys think about this trade proposal?

No way, our players are awesome.

Everything would have been better if they would have just picked Luka.

*mod closes thread*

Reading through some of the posts today and I'm not sure why Haliburton is missing from our blistering criticism? He has not been good this year and hasn't grown like I had hoped. I would never think he is "untouchable" as I have seen tossed around.

we prolly missed the best drafts past couple years by not tanking properly.

I feel like the new lottery odds are actually MORE favorable to the Kings. They will not be bad enough to out-tank the really terrible teams. I mean. Look at Houston. We will never be that bad. So tearing it down is actually a better strategy now more than ever since the blatantly tanking teams have reduced odds.

Portland, Utah and Denver recently, arguably Memphis but that’s TBD (winning one play-in series as a sub 8 seed isn’t enough to me but it looks like they’re on the road to being a real playoff team again)

In general tho yea the playoff teams last year were lead almost entirely by guys who went 1-3. Blazers Jazz and Nuggs nailed it with later lotto selections and obviously finding Jokic out of nowhere

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Portland, Utah and Denver recently, arguably Memphis but that’s TBD (winning one play-in series as a sub 8 seed isn’t enough to me but it looks like they’re on the road to being a real playoff team again)

In general tho yea the playoff teams last year were lead almost entirely by guys who went 1-3. Blazers Jazz and Nuggs nailed it with later lotto selections and obviously finding Jokic out of nowhere
Well, Memphis hit on a #2 and a #4 pick so I'm not sure they qualify. The others are good examples though I think the Jazz didn't really retool so much as never get all that bad while hitting on Gobert and Mitchell. Denver hitting on Jokic was the key for them.

Last edited: