Big Trade Targets

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think there is a real possibility that McNair swings for the fences and tries to land a 3rd core piece to join Fox and Hali using some combination of Hield, Bagley, Barnes, etc but also dangling the first round pick as the centerpiece of a deal.

Who could be out there as realistic targets for teams maybe looking to shed a big salary but who could help push this team to the playoffs. And assume everyone is on the table except Fox and Hali to make a deal happen

I’ve been wondering the same. Now, Monte could be trying to build up assets to swing a trade for an unhappy star (the Harden model, which he should be fairly familiar with), or looking for a star who might be undervalued because of contract or other issues (a la Chris Paul). Honestly, it’s been tough to figure out a realistic option for either.

Another, potentially more realistic angle could be looking for young talents that have underachieved so far. I could see someone like Markkanen fitting that type.

I think it’s going to be pretty tough to swing a big trade considering our assets.

Barnes and Buddy are most valuable to a team trying to make a push. Those types of teams aren’t going to be sending back established players.

Bagley didn’t do enough to rebuild his value this season.

Woodard, Ramsey, Guy, James aren’t worth anything on the market at this point of their careers.

Assuming Fox and Haliburton are untouchable, that leaves our picks to trade.

Who is even potentially available?
Would Toronto consider hitting the reset button and trade Siakam? Seems unlikely considering they held on to Lowry

Kat? Clint Capela?

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think it’s going to be pretty tough to swing a big trade considering our assets.

Barnes and Buddy are most valuable to a team trying to make a push. Those types of teams aren’t going to be sending back established players.

Bagley didn’t do enough to rebuild his value this season.

Woodard, Ramsey, Guy, James aren’t worth anything on the market at this point of their careers.

Assuming Fox and Haliburton are untouchable, that leaves our picks to trade.

Who is even potentially available?
Would Toronto consider hitting the reset button and trade Siakam? Seems unlikely considering they held on to Lowry

Kat? Clint Capela?
I think if you find a team who is willing to hit the reset button and move a contract like Siakam.....and I forget what his contract is.....but if it’s a team wanting to reset, then our first rounder and a Hield or really Bagley and another piece may have some weight.

I do think Monte has been collecting assets at guard and a first and Hield has some weight. I think it’s dependent on us and another team fitting each other’s needs. The first rounder is going to have solid value.

Draft Night Blockbuster!

Cavs Trade K. Love PF 31.2M, J. Allen C 3.9M, I. Okoro SF 6.4M, No 4 Pick

Kings Trade B. Hield SG 22.7M, H. Barnes 20.9M, No 9 Pick

Why Cavs do it:
Shed Love big salary , gets starting SG and SF

Why kings do it:
Move up in Draft, Young starting C to cover for loss of Holmes in FA (Can match RFA Allen, cant match Holmes)
young SF with Potential

Kings:
Fox,Wright
Hali,Davis
Okoro,(Pick#4)
Bagley,Love
Allen,Metu

All starters Young with Potential to grow together

Ages 23,21,20,22,23

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Cavaliers to give Jarrett Allen $100M extension?

Terry Pluto: They are going to give Allen $100 million or more in a contract extension.

Well that shoots down even the remote possibility of my above trade
Actually Im glad its not us paying Jarrett Allen $100M

Wow! Makes 80 Mil offer to Rachaun sound like a bargain now ! LOL
Yes, this does shoot down your trade. Without an extension, Allen can't be traded at draft time because he's an upcoming free agent. With an extension, he will certainly exceed the extend-and-trade limitations and thus be ineligible to be traded for at least 6 months, or if he gets a Designated Player extension, at least a year.

Yes, this does shoot down your trade. Without an extension, Allen can't be traded at draft time because he's an upcoming free agent. With an extension, he will certainly exceed the extend-and-trade limitations and thus be ineligible to be traded for at least 6 months, or if he gets a Designated Player extension, at least a year.
I mean, there are other things that shoot down that trade, like it being 3-1 in favor of the kings. lol

I’m interested in what happens to the Pacers front court. Sabonis and Turner are talented, but they don’t share the court well. I think Turner and Bagley together would be interesting.

Can we S&T Holmes for turner?
That's interesting, at least from a Kings' perspective. Turner is a better shot blocker and has a 3-ball (35% career). Also 2 years younger than Holmes. All that makes him a better fit next to Bags on both ends.

I think Holmes makes up for it on the boards, with him pick-n-roll play, his defensive mobility. Still, for Indy the question for any 5 will be fit with Sabonis, who's not a big 3-guy, either in proficiency or volume. Turner is clearly the better fit there. Sabonis and Turner are also both 25, so a lot there too.

I am not sure if Holmes would sign a S&T deal with us since he's unrestricted and we can't offer him more money than a team with room could. But you never know.

I don't really see us as having home run assets. Maybe we could move some guys for a future first. Maybe Buddy would net a non-lotto first this year. I dunno. I do think trading Bagley without getting back a known commodity this offseason would be a mistake. Such a shame his injury history is so off the charts right now.

I am not sure if Holmes would sign a S&T deal with us since he's unrestricted and we can't offer him more money than a team with room could. But you never know.

I don't really see us as having home run assets. Maybe we could move some guys for a future first. Maybe Buddy would net a non-lotto first this year. I dunno. I do think trading Bagley without getting back a known commodity this offseason would be a mistake. Such a shame his injury history is so off the charts right now.
This is one of those Walton issues. Who shined on the back end of the year? A bunch of cycled around young-ish NBA bubble veterans and free agents. While 20 million a year Buddy was setting them up in the offense. Just pure incompetence from top to bottom.

This is one of those Walton issues. Who shined on the back end of the year? A bunch of cycled around young-ish NBA bubble veterans and free agents. While 20 million a year Buddy was setting them up in the offense. Just pure incompetence from top to bottom.
Real question though: Does that help or hinder moving Buddy?
We were sort of out of options at the end of the season so that's the last thing I am going to get mad at Walton for. It's everything he did the rest of the season that is grounds for dismissal.

Real question though: Does that help or hinder moving Buddy?
We were sort of out of options at the end of the season so that's the last thing I am going to get mad at Walton for. It's everything he did the rest of the season that is grounds for dismissal.
It hinders it. I do however think there are likely still a few teams out there that value him more than fans assume. I mean really? This dude is worth a late first at best? That just shows you how badly the Kings bungled this. And I brought this up before, them attempting to turn Buddy into a backup PG isn't anything new. Last year Walton literally had him run backup PG in the bubble. To Buddy's credit he has improved immensely. The problem is it didn't help his productivity which teams will hold over Montes head and then they will gain the benefit of a more well rounded Buddy if and when a trade occurs.

It hinders it. I do however think there are likely still a few teams out there that value him more than fans assume. I mean really? This dude is worth a late first at best? That just shows you how badly the Kings bungled this. And I brought this up before, them attempting to turn Buddy into a backup PG isn't anything new. Last year Walton literally had him run backup PG in the bubble. To Buddy's credit he has improved immensely. The problem is it didn't help his productivity which teams will hold over Montes head and then they will gain the benefit of a more well rounded Buddy if and when a trade occurs.
I realize that basically the selling point with Buddy is his shooting. Which took a big dip this year. But I'm not entirely sure why when the team was out of options when Fox and Hali went out to end the season, it hurts. The big thing that hurts is his shooting sucked, but he did at least put in a little more effort at his weak points.

Still I'd rather him basically shoot lights out and do nothing else. Ok, maybe defense.

I realize that basically the selling point with Buddy is his shooting. Which took a big dip this year. But I'm not entirely sure why when the team was out of options when Fox and Hali went out to end the season, it hurts. The big thing that hurts is his shooting sucked, but he did at least put in a little more effort at his weak points.

Still I'd rather him basically shoot lights out and do nothing else. Ok, maybe defense.
And the thing is did his shooting really suck that bad? Or is he shooting too many 3's? While they turned him into a better pick and roll guard they also made him extremely one dimensional as a shooter which often involves him bailing out the team with a tough 3. In an "off" year he still shot darn near 40% from 3 while taking over 10 a game! He only averaged about 4 2 point FG's a game and shot less per game than previous years as they turned him into less of a catch and shoot guy and made him more of a playmaker. Taking that many 3's is always going to dip your overall efficiency. And taking more 3's is probably going to dip your overall 3 point percentage as well because at best you'll shoot in the lower to mid 40's and the more you take the lower it will get when you average that value over the extra shots.

What I find funny is that the late season push clearly played a big part in us bringing Luke back, when as you said the push was led by Buddy (often left out when you listen to media discussing it) and the "new guys" I.e. TD/Wright/Moe, 1-2 of whom probably aren't around next season if the average fan assumption is correct.

And the thing is did his shooting really suck that bad? Or is he shooting too many 3's?
It's hard to say. Probably more the latter, because he definitely shot us out of games when he was having a bad night and just decided he'd shoot his way out of it. It's mind numbingly frustrating when you could make 2-pt shots and maintain a lead or even go on a run but the team goes into a "no better shot than the 3!" mentality while missing 5 straight trips.

Another, potentially more realistic angle could be looking for young talents that have underachieved so far. I could see someone like Markkanen fitting that type.
Ive been looking for Trades for centers, but do not see any targets we could realistically get for a Buddy-for C trade.

But Markkanen is a possibility, Bulls dont need Buddy since they have LaVine, but could use a SF?

Maybe a sign and trade by Bulls?
Have Bulls Sign Markkanen then trade him with filler to Kings for HB?
Then use Buddy to trade up in Draft for Kuminga?

Fox
Tyrese
Kuminga
Bagley
Markkanen

No offense bud, but I just have no idea where you are getting this idea that we can move a bunch of our junk (at best mediocre) players to get into the top 5 of the lottery it what is being referred to as a 5 person draft.

We have two assets that will get us a top 5 pick and we aren't trading either.

You can finagle any combo of our other assets, even future 1st (unless we gave multiple) and we are not getting into the top 5 without ping pong ball help.

No offense bud, but I just have no idea where you are getting this idea that we can move a bunch of our junk (at best mediocre) players to get into the top 5 of the lottery it what is being referred to as a 5 person draft.

We have two assets that will get us a top 5 pick and we aren't trading either.

You can finagle any combo of our other assets, even future 1st (unless we gave multiple) and we are not getting into the top 5 without ping pong ball help.
None taken bud, do I think Buddy is Junk (or mediocre?) No I do not. Did I say trade Buddy for a top 5 pick? No I did not. I said Trade Buddy to move up for Kuminga.

Tryrese was mocked at 8 but was avail at 12 last year.

Could Kuminga end up dropping 3-4 positions to a 6-7 draft pick, Possible

If the Kings at 9 saw he would be avail at 6, and the 6th team in the draft needed a PG or SG vs a SF(kuminga)
And they traded bad salary for Buddy Salary. Hmmm Teams can trade back in the draft if it works for that team.

Then Trading Buddy to move up in the Draft 2-4 Positions is very Possible

If I am the Kings, no way I would trade Buddy just to move up for just one or two draft positions
but it the other team absorbed his salary, gave us cap space to sweeten the offer to Holmes
and we could pick up a player who dropped in the Draft - oh heck yeah I would do it

None taken bud, do I think Buddy is Junk (or mediocre?) No I do not. Did I say trade Buddy for a top 5 pick? No I did not. I said Trade Buddy to move up for Kuminga.

Tryrese was mocked at 8 but was avail at 12 last year.

Could Kuminga end up dropping 3-4 positions to a 6-7 draft pick, Possible

If the Kings at 9 saw he would be avail at 6, and the 6th team in the draft needed a PG or SG vs a SF(kuminga)
And they traded bad salary for Buddy Salary. Hmmm Teams can trade back in the draft if it works for that team.

Then Trading Buddy to move up in the Draft 2-4 Positions is very Possible

If I am the Kings, no way I would trade Buddy just to move up for just one or two draft positions
but it the other team absorbed his salary, gave us cap space to sweeten the offer to Holmes
and we could pick up a player who dropped in the Draft - oh heck yeah I would do it
THere's a lot to unpack here. Buddy's contract is negative value. You are not getting anything of value in return for him. The best we could hope for was less salary coming back for a lesser player. To move up 3 or 4 picks if we are using buddy in the trade, at minimum we are giving up the 9th, a second or two, and taking a bad contract back.

You have to look at the trade from the other side.

What I find funny is that the late season push clearly played a big part in us bringing Luke back, when as you said the push was led by Buddy (often left out when you listen to media discussing it) and the "new guys" I.e. TD/Wright/Moe, 1-2 of whom probably aren't around next season if the average fan assumption is correct.
And it was nothing different than the year prior. He has proven it already, he's going to clean up his record on the back end of the season once he can get his hands on the role guys. He did the same thing the year before with Bjelica and Giles. And where are they now? And in reality he was even less successful this year than last. In the end there were important must win games and they didn't pull any of the big ones off in both years. The bubble run was done from the get and he won two on the backs of Baze, Len, Cojo, etc. at the very end when development should have taken precedence. I can't believe the Kings brass and Vivek are falling for this. Well now they are rolling with Walton so if good Walton finally sticks around there is a chance but the history shows no matter what, when it comes down to the nitty gritty, he is going to be over matched against the noteworthy coaches of the NBA.

It's hard to say. Probably more the latter, because he definitely shot us out of games when he was having a bad night and just decided he'd shoot his way out of it. It's mind numbingly frustrating when you could make 2-pt shots and maintain a lead or even go on a run but the team goes into a "no better shot than the 3!" mentality while missing 5 straight trips.
First off, I hightly doubt he was going off script with those shots. That's all he really got most of the time. If he did then I blame Vlade. Incentive based contracts are dubious when you're talking about hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars swinging one way or the other based on the types of shots you take or make. It fools with the integrity of the game. Well, what little integrity is left in the NBA.