Bibby punishment?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but is there any type of assitional league punishment for Bibby's "flagrant" foul about to be meted out, or is getting kicked out (because of the 2nd tech, I think) and fined (all flagrants are fined, IIRC) all we can expect on that front?

Thanks in advance.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the league looks at all flagrants and goes from there. I also think (not sure) they get fines for being ejected.

If anything I suspect he will just get a fine. RA should be getting ready to open up his wallet for his post game comments also.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From NBA.com:

FOULS: FLAGRANT-UNSPORTSMANLIKE

To be unsportsmanlike is to act in a manner unbecoming to the image of professional basketball. It consists of acts of deceit, disrespect of officials and profanity. The penalty for such action is a technical foul. Repeated acts shall result in expulsion from the game and a minimum fine of $1000.

A flagrant foul-penalty (1) is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent.

A flagrant foul-penalty (2) is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. It is an unsportsmanlike act and the offender is ejected immediately.

The offender will be subject to a fine not exceeding $35,000 and/or suspension by the Commissioner.

See Rule 12B-Section IV for interpretation and penalties.

AND Rule 12B-Section IV says:

Section IV--Flagrant Foul
a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul--penalty (1) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.
PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, the opposing coach will select any player from the bench to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. (EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e.) (4) The injured player may not return to the game. (5) A player will be ejected if he commits two flagrant fouls in the same game.
b. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpret-ed to be unnecessary and excessive, a flagrant foul--penalty (2) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.
PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, his coach will select a substitute and any player from the team is eligible to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e. (4) The injured player may return to the game at any time after the free throws are attempted. (5) This is an unsports-manlike act and the offender is ejected.
c. A flagrant foul may be assessed whether the ball is dead or alive.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On the other hand, the league office can actually determine upon review that the foul was NOT flagrant and expunge it from Bibby's record, so to speak. In that case, NO fine will be assessed.

I saw the replay and it looked to me like it came after the whistle and he had his fists clenched. But then again I was into the wine by then and very sad, so I might have seen it wrong, but it looked bad.

I slapped my co worker today. My company is charging me with $350 fine and a 1 day suspension. None of my other co workers jumped out of their seats to help so they will not face any charges. 3 guys called in sick today with a serious case of carpal tunnel. One fat guy decided to sit three cubicals away from everyone else since boss won't let him have more say until he slims down.

Daniela said:
I saw the replay and it looked to me like it came after the whistle and he had his fists clenched. But then again I was into the wine by then and very sad, so I might have seen it wrong, but it looked bad.
It was a stupid thing to do. But, clenched fists? Not so much.

I watched it again last night after someone else mentioned this, and it sure didn't look that way to me.

Daniela said:

bahahaha

i thought he had a nice little fist rolled up in it too...his fist didn't really come into contact with Murphy but...he did have a clenched fist...

from what i saw on the replay...i watched it a few times...i thought it was funny