Bibby Named NBA Players of the Week

:D
Pierce, Bibby Named NBA Players of the Week
NEW YORK, March 13, 2006 – The Boston Celtics’ Paul Pierce and the Sacramento Kings’ Mike Bibby today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, March 6 through Sunday, March 12.

Pierce

Bibby
Behind Pierce’s averages of 30.5 points on .521 shooting, 6.5 assists and 5.3 rebounds, the Celtics went 3-1. In a 104-101 win over Atlantic Division foe Philadelphia on March 8, Pierce recorded his first triple-double of the season with 31 points, including 12 in the fourth quarter, 12 rebounds and 10 assists. Pierce scored 30 or more points in three games this week and has done so in 14 of his last 16 contests.
Bibby averaged 24.0 points, 6.3 assists, 4.3 rebounds and shot .456 from the field, .455 from three-point range and .960 from the free throw line to lead the Kings to a 4-0 week. Posting a 6.25 assist-to-turnover ratio, Bibby helped the Kings to a four-game win streak and extended their home streak to 12 consecutive wins, the longest since the 2002-03 squad won 13 straight.
Here is a closer look at the week for Pierce and Bibby:
Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
March 7 at Washington: Had 31 points, five rebounds and four assists in a 116-115 overtime win over the Wizards.
March 8 vs. Philadelphia: Posted a triple-double of 31 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists, while blocking three shots in a 104-101 win over the Sixers.
March 10 vs. Milwaukee: Recorded 24 points, eight assists and three rebounds in a 92-86 loss to the Bucks.
March 12 at Denver: Connected on 15-of-23 field goals to post 36 points, while adding four assists and three steals in a 106-101 win over the Nuggets.
Mike Bibby, Sacramento Kings
March 6 at New Jersey: Had a game-high 29 points on 10-of-16 shooting, 10 assists, four rebounds and two steals in a 109-84 road win over the Nets.
March 8 at Milwaukee: Recorded a game-high 36 points and five assists as the Kings defeated the Bucks 123-116.
March 10 vs. Memphis: Posted 19 points, six assists and three rebounds in a 105-93 win over the Grizzlies.
March 12 vs. Dallas: Had 12 points, eight rebounds and four assists in a 85-80 win over the Mavericks. Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Cleveland’s LeBron James, Denver’s Carmelo Anthony, Golden State’s Jason Richardson, Miami’s Dwyane Wade and Portland’s Zach Randolph.

Link: NBA.com

GO MIKE!!!!

you know......I'm happy for Mike, but if you had asked me who the most valuable player on the Kings has been this past week, I'm not sure that Mike's name would have immediately come to mind......curious...

and by the way.....I get that this is stat driven recognition...I think it is clearly a testament to how stats don't tell the story of this Kings team.....

FullAB said:
you know......I'm happy for Mike, but if you had asked me who the most valuable player on the Kings has been this past week, I'm not sure that Mike's name would have immediately come to mind......curious...
Mike's been in a slump since Ron got here, but it appears like he is working through it these past few games. Where we needed Mike to have a awesome game to give us a chance to win...with Ron, Bonzi coming back, SAR off the bench...Mike doesn't need to put up a lot of points, but helps us in other ways by directing the offense with Brad. I love how now we win when we don't necessarily shoot that good. Heck we just beat probably the best team in the NBA last night and didn't shoot that great and had a long dry spell in the 3rd qtr.

Way to go Kings!!!

So Mike is shooting 96% from the free throw line last week and Adelman is having Brad Miller shoot the technical free throws?

Not that Brad's a terrible FT shooter, but I was puzzled yesterday when the Kings shot 3 Technical FT's and Miller took them all, I'm pretty sure Bibby was on the floor.

LoungeLizard said:
So Mike is shooting 96% from the free throw line last week and Adelman is having Brad Miller shoot the technical free throws?

Not that Brad's a terrible FT shooter, but I was puzzled yesterday when the Kings shot 3 Technical FT's and Miller took them all, I'm pretty sure Bibby was on the floor.
Yup, Mike was on the floor and so was Kevin Martin. I was pretty unhappy they chose Brad, but I guess they wanted him to get a rhythm going and figured a few free throws would get his aggression and jumpshot going.

I'm happy for Mike. I'm actually surprised. I'm surprised he got it and surprised to see the numbers are that good. Pleasantly surprised, of course ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah this award was....curious. Basically we've been winning, they wanted to recognize that, and so they tried to find a King with the stats to justifiy the award. Our "engine" largely works off the statsheet. So good for Mike, but I think he's haad better weeks and was good but certainly not the best guy in the conference this week.

What happened to the player of the week thread? That sure died out quick...It seemed to be a nice addition here.

I wouldn't pick Mike either. I say Kenny did a great job along with hmm... I would strongly consider K9 as our best player for the week. I would also always consider RON. He provided good D as expected.

I'm just happy that we are finally playing well enough to get some good recogniton. I'm not going to be down on this accomplishment for Bibby at all. I would be happy for ANY of our Kings to be recognized this way. When one is awarded, it is good for all.

NBA Western Conference Player of the Week:

Ron Artest, Sacramento Kings
March 6 at New Jersey: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness
March 8 at Milwaukee: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness
March 10 vs. Memphis: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness
March 12 vs. Dallas: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness

Bricklayer said:
Yeah this award was....curious. Basically we've been winning, they wanted to recognize that, and so they tried to find a King with the stats to justifiy the award. Our "engine" largely works off the statsheet. So good for Mike, but I think he's haad better weeks and was good but certainly not the best guy in the conference this week.
Exactly, Bibby was not even close to the best player in the conf this week. They had to find a king to give it to and if I were to do it , I would have gone with Ron or Sar. They both have really brought lots of energy to the team and defnitely Ron.

Bibby was not even in the rotation untill like 2.00 min left in the game against the mavs, whereas Ron played every minute of the 4th quarter I think

Kudos Michael! Ron probably gets one sometime soon in the not so distant future, he'll rattle off a few 25-30 pt games in a row, in rout to wins. He deserves it, to say the least.

Edit: Everything below goes un-noticed without offensive production, unfortunately...but he'll get his scoring in gear along with everything below, and that'll get him some accolades in the near future.

NBA Western Conference Player of the Week:

Ron Artest, Sacramento Kings
March 6 at New Jersey: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness
March 8 at Milwaukee: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness
March 10 vs. Memphis: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness
March 12 vs. Dallas: Played stifling defense and inspired team toughness

Last edited: