Bibby: I'm the Kings' leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/13022732p-13869065c.html

Bibby: I'm the Kings' leader

He takes offense when people say the team is rudderless.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.
In many ways, the Kings and point guard Mike Bibby experienced the same type of season.
It was full of changes, highs and lows, constants and inconsistencies. Many of the reasons the season unfolded as it did for the team and Bibby were created by forces beyond anyone's control.

There are many observers, however, who believe the Kings only will go as far as Bibby takes them. Certainly, that's a gross exaggeration in a team-oriented game such as basketball. But Bibby says there's no need to look any further than him to find the Kings' leader.

"I was reading that this team didn't have a leader," said Bibby, who played in 80 games for the fifth time in a seven-year NBA career that began with him playing the entire 50-game lockout-shortened 1999 season. "I'm this team's leader. I don't know what critics mean when they say we don't have a leader. People may say I'm not vocal, but they may not see everything. I know I was vocal in the playoffs and a lot more vocal in the final game about trying to get people to do what we needed to do."

Bibby, who turned 27 on May 13, has a reputation for having a quiet, unassuming personality. In part, that comes from his poker-faced, on-court persona that usually is altered only after he has hit a big shot or is whining about a foul call.

"I think by the nature of his position and skill level and history as a guy on the floor, he's going to have to be an organizer and leader and set the tempo for how we're going to play," Kings president Geoff Petrie said.

The 6-foot-1 Bibby normally is reserved around people he doesn't know well and can be unwilling to reveal his personality in what usually are brief interviews. Teammates and coaches, however, know Bibby's penchant for running his mouth with well-timed or sneaky digs at nearly any vulnerable facets of their being. It could be a shirt, a haircut or the pronunciation of a word or name.

Kings assistant coach T.R. Dunn bore the brunt of many Bibby barbs as the season unfolded. Dunn couldn't stand in the right place while discussing the team's game plan. Bibby also would mock Dunn for the Southern accent that affected the way he pronounced some of the NBA's unusual names.

Clearly, huge changes in the Kings' roster greatly affected the roles of Bibby and his teammates. Only Peja Stojakovic and Bobby Jackson have been with the team longer (although Corliss Williamson played with the Kings during his first five seasons, beginning in 1995, before returning in February). Bibby joined the Kings in June 2001.

He arrived in Sacramento as a young player attempting to fit in with a veteran squad on the verge of challenging for an NBA Finals bid. And in his first season, Bibby showed the mettle to take and make big shots despite the clear leadership hierarchy of Chris Webber and Vlade Divac.

With Divac, Doug Christie and Webber departing, the ball, proverbially and literally, has been placed into Bibby's hands. Bibby's 19.6 points per game during the 2004-05 regular season gave him the highest-scoring average of his career. His 413 free-throw attempts were a personal high and his 124 steals a team high.

But Bibby had to work much harder for his points. He shot .360 from the three-point arc, his lowest percentage since his rookie season, and .775 from the free-throw line after three consecutive seasons above .800.

Bibby said he believes the Kings need time to assimilate and determine roles.

"This is not saying anything bad about anybody," he said. "We need to have our roles set so everybody knows what they are supposed to do. If you're supposed to shoot the ball, then shoot. If you set screens, then set screens.

"If you've got to knock somebody in the head, then do that. And we always have to help each other defensively. We're out there like we're scared to get into foul trouble. That's why we give up so many layups."

Bibby is like every other player wondering how the negotiations between the players and the league on new collective bargaining agreement will unfold.

But he's back in the gym and making plans to be ready no matter when the season starts. "I'm going to be more vocal next season and try to lead better," he said. "If we get a chance to come together, we'll be all right."

"If you've got to knock somebody in the head, then do that. And we always have to help each other defensively. We're out there like we're scared to get into foul trouble. That's why we give up so many layups."

I like that! Now, if we can only do it.

chelle said:
"We're out there like we're scared to get into foul trouble. That's why we give up so many layups."
Well, that's the second part of the problem. The first would be allowing guys to get past the initial line of defense while hardly breaking a sweat.

4cwebb said:
Well, that's the second part of the problem. The first would be allowing guys to get past the initial line of defense while hardly breaking a sweat.
LOL, but true .... very true.

Now we know who our leader is. We have questioned whether it was Peja or Bibby but its clear Bibby wants that role. Hopefully Bibby can emphasize defense next season and tell the team what he thinks is wrong, etc.

A

AriesMar27

i still like his, "give me the f'n ball" line.... that was classic.... we all knew that bibby was the leader.... now we just need to build around that with the pieces that we already have and maybe add some more by trading a few that dont fit.... thomas, corliss and maybe skinner... peja and miller are fine but they need a shot blocker like they need air.... and another go-to scorer off the bench.... because if all of your subs are defense minded and you are trailing with your starters not hitting anything.... well.... bobby isnt going to be enough and skinner, evans and ostertag arent going to help....

piksi said:
at least he knows of it's existance. Now he can go to the dictonary and look it up
No need to insult the guy:mad:, he has a weakness and knows he needs to work on it. For a guy with a reputation as a gym rat, I am confident he will improve as much as his physical abilities will allow.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Now we know who our leader is. We have questioned whether it was Peja or Bibby but its clear Bibby wants that role. Hopefully Bibby can emphasize defense next season and tell the team what he thinks is wrong, etc.
I really do not see Bibby being much of an influence on the team after Earl Watson burns him going to the basket 6 plays in a row.

KKSloga said:
I really do not see Bibby being much of an influence on the team after Earl Watson burns him going to the basket 6 plays in a row.
Obviously Earl didn't hurt us that bad since we were 3-0 against them.

what if we get garnett. would bibby still be our leader??:D

i'm glad he said that but i don't see mike leading us to the promised land. he's had one good post season so far (2002) and hasn't done much since. sure he's the leader in terms of setting up our offense but he's no vlade or doug. like the article says, bibby doesn't show a vocal leadership on the court. maybe he does in the locker room where we don't see but all i see is a team with some good players looking for a great player to rally around.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Yoda said:
No need to insult the guy:mad:, he has a weakness and knows he needs to work on it. For a guy with a reputation as a gym rat, I am confident he will improve as much as his physical abilities will allow.
he has known it for years and nothing changed, so I will be very sceptical until proven otherwise. Also he shpuld have addressed the issue instead of hiding behind the team. The sign of the true leader would have been to say :

I need to work on my defense first

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I guess I'm in the minority, because I don't think Bibby will be the Warrior King, as I've called the next leader of the team.

Yes, he can be an excellent leader on the floor, as far as filling the point guard position (if you don't put too much emphasis on the GUARD part). Having watched him do post-game interviews, however, I don't think he's that comfortable doing the things previous team leaders like Webber and Vlade have done.

In addition I actually found this a little bothersome:

The 6-foot-1 Bibby normally is reserved around people he doesn't know well and can be unwilling to reveal his personality in what usually are brief interviews. Teammates and coaches, however, know Bibby's penchant for running his mouth with well-timed or sneaky digs at nearly any vulnerable facets of their being. It could be a shirt, a haircut or the pronunciation of a word or name.

Kings assistant coach T.R. Dunn bore the brunt of many Bibby barbs as the season unfolded. Dunn couldn't stand in the right place while discussing the team's game plan. Bibby also would mock Dunn for the Southern accent that affected the way he pronounced some of the NBA's unusual names.
Those kinds of things make him sound more like the class clown than the team leader.

There's a real difference between being a go-to guy on the court, which Bibby clearly wants to be and I think is fine, and a team leader, which I do not think Bibby is built to be.

I'm not dead-set against him becoming the leader, however, if he can actually lead the team to do what he's said above. Talk is cheap. If he wants to be the leader, he's going to have to show a much more focused defensive mindset than I've seen from him since he's been here.

"I'm going to be more vocal next season and try to lead better," he said. "If we get a chance to come together, we'll be all right."
I wish him all the luck in the world. If he can actually fulfill what he's said in this interview, the Kings should be - as he said - "all right."

VF21 said:
I guess I'm in the minority, because I don't think Bibby will be the Warrior King, as I've called the next leader of the team.
I'm with ya VF ... feel the same way (even though I didn't quote you entirely).

Floor leader yes ...

But, how is he going to criticize a fellow player on D when he's got issues himself (doesn't mean he can't change or improve) ???

But, like I said in my first post in this thread ...

I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT

if he wants it, it's his. no one seems to want it anyway. maybe a bibby-bobby leader combo could work. i don't know, we'll see.

i hope mike really assumes the leadership role next season. i think last season (after the webber trade) was really a transition period where they really don't know who the leader was. they don't really know each other. i'm hoping we see new faces this coming season. and if they get the chance to gel, then they can define roles, and it will be easier for mike to lead.

who knows, maybe mike is really willing to step up next season and be more vocal like he says.

i'm definitely hoping he does. cause if he's not going to lead the team, who will?

Not a chance

Bibby is no team leader.

He is a point guard; a leader on the court on a defacto basis. The ball needs to be in his hands.

That doesn't appoint him as the team leader. And just because he says he is, doesn't make it so. I'm encouraged by his desire to take the reins, but that's where it ends for me. Heck, I'm not convinced Bibby will be in a Kings uni next season! As I've stated before, Bibby provides the Kings tremendous trade bait. So much, in fact, that he just could be a key principle in a blockbuster deal.

But enough of that.

I want to see a leader emerge soley on their actions, not their statements. I'm having a hard time envisoning Bibby in Miller's grill or barking at Peja.

I want Bibby to lead by example. And he can start by working on his defense. Period...

I think Bibby can be the leader of this team. Becoming a leader is something that only some personalities are suited for, but still must be learned through experience. Bibby is the only guy on the team with the personality and the stature to become the Kings leader. If a new group comes together, including Bibby, and plays its way up to contending status in a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Mike was the one leading them. It will probably take a couple years of battling and learning to get there, though.

At this point, I'm guessing that is the best option. There are very few people that could be traded for that could come right in and lead the team. So I'll just sit back and wait until the "new" team grows and matures before I worry about who will lead them on a title run.

Of all the people on the team right now, I think he is best suited to be the leader. It all depends on if he has the respect of the rest of the team. I seem to recall a player this season after the trade calling it Bibby's team. Unless sombeody else steps up, it will be him. Hopefully, he can lead by word and deed.

I don't care who is the leader, or what he does on the floor. I just want someone to step up, take charge and take this team to the top. Bibby is our most qualified player. Although he sorta phased out during the Seatle series, this man is a fighter. He is agressive (sorta), clutch and hopefully is a locker room presence. Bibby's got my vote.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's not up to the fans; it's up to the players. And it's not up to Bibby to decide he's the leader. It's up to the rest of the team to decide if they'll follow him, both on the court and in the locker room. If they'll listen to what he has to say and act accordingly.

Some people are leaders; some are followers. You can't make yourself a leader until there's someone willing to follow you.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
chelle said:

I like that! Now, if we can only do it.
I thought thats why we brought in OTag. Who did do that when he got the time BTW!!! grrrr...

VF21 said:
It's not up to the fans; it's up to the players. And it's not up to Bibby to decide he's the leader. It's up to the rest of the team to decide if they'll follow him, both on the court and in the locker room. If they'll listen to what he has to say and act accordingly.

Some people are leaders; some are followers. You can't make yourself a leader until there's someone willing to follow you.

Thank you, VF21, for stealing my thunder.

Leading isn't something you just decide to do, its actions brought on by one taking the initative-motivating those you wish to lead. In order for the team to be led in this case by Mike Bibby, others on the team have to hold him in high enough regard to believe what he says. There has to be that respect present. Right now, I don't see any reason to believe its not.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacTownKid said:
I thought thats why we brought in OTag. Who did do that when he got the time BTW!!! grrrr...
We didn't bring in Ostertag to solve all our defensive problems. I think Bibby was pretty much saying the whole team needs to improve and I salute him for it. All too many times we've seen our guards and our small forward step out of the way instead of giving a foul... It's not just up to an out of shape center playing in limited minutes. EVERYONE has to be involved for it to work...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ReinadelosReys said:
Thank you, VF21, for stealing my thunder.
Oops. Sorry. :p

Leading isn't something you just decide to do, its actions brought on by one taking the initative-motivating those you wish to lead. In order for the team to be led in this case by Mike Bibby, others on the team have to hold him in high enough regard to believe what he says. There has to be that respect present. Right now, I don't see any reason to believe its not.
If I can add one more thing... The team not only has to believe what he says, they have to see that he will WALK the walk as well as TALK the talk. Actions do, in this case, speak much louder than words.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
You know who the leader should be?!

Rick Adelman, thats who. (or whoever the head coach may be)

I don't like the idea of having a player as a leader. Look at San Antonio! Who is their leader? Duncan? Wrong. Answer? Greg Popovich.

How about Detroit? Ben Wallace? Wrong. Answer? Larry Brown.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
We didn't bring in Ostertag to solve all our defensive problems. I think Bibby was pretty much saying the whole team needs to improve and I salute him for it. All too many times we've seen our guards and our small forward step out of the way instead of giving a foul... It's not just up to an out of shape center playing in limited minutes. EVERYONE has to be involved for it to work...
I totally agree. I was talking about out all the stuff that the team was saying as to why they brought in Tag last summer when they did.

Knocking people in the head was his specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.