Better, but still beaten

sacbee

Better, but still beaten

The Kings' defense shows holes, which Dirk Nowitzki and other Mavs exploit.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, November 3, 2004

DALLAS - Well, it was better than what had recently been on display.

But clearly, the Kings have work to do, especially on defense, a point made visible to all during a 107-98 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday night before a sellout American Airlines Center crowd of 20,041.

The game, one of three NBA season openers, matched two of the recent past's highest-scoring teams, and they didn't disappoint. Accordingly, the game also featured two of the recent past's worst defensive squads, and each lived up to that billing, too.

However, it appears the Kings and Mavericks, who met in the playoffs last season, could do so again this season because both will be tough to beat once they figure out things. Since the Kings visit the San Antonio Spurs tonight and the Mavericks go to New Orleans, there will not be much time for immediate tinkering.

Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki led all scorers with 33 points, shooting 12 of 19 from the field, 2 of 2 from three-point range and 7 of 8 from the free-throw line. He also grabbed a team-high and game-high-tying 10 rebounds.

Center Brad Miller led the Kings with 24 points on 8-of-14 field-goal shooting and 8 of 8 from the line. And Sacramento's own Matt Barnes was strong with 17 points, nine rebounds and boundless energy in 30 minutes. But if their defense was any indication, the Kings don't own the switch to turn on efficiency and effectiveness.

Dallas' 49.4 percent field-goal shooting (40 of 81) showed it was able to take many of the shots it wanted, despite working with a crew featuring seven new players on a team that lost a first-round playoff series to the Kings last spring.

The Mavericks led by 16 points during the first half and 19 (65-46) with 7:12 left in the third quarter before the Kings showed more defensive cohesion and started making shots. But neither Peja Stojakovic (3 of 15 from the field, 0 of 7 from three-point range), Mike Bibby (2 of 8) nor Bobby Jackson (4 of 12) found their shooting strokes. Jackson missed all four of his three-point attempts but played the game's final 12 minutes, much to Bibby's chagrin.

"I know I didn't play well in the first half," Bibby said after his 0-of-5, three-turnover half, "but I thought I played all right in the third quarter. But what can I say? (Rick Adelman) is the coach."

Adelman said his thought was to keep players on the court he felt gave the Kings the best chance to win.

The Kings slowly sliced the Mavericks' lead by playing better - if not good - defense, decreasing the mental mistakes that had them leaving good shooters wide open. They also stopped double-teaming Dallas center Erick Dampier - dubious at any time - and rotating off Michael Finley or Nowitzki.

With the Kings down 103-98, Miller had a nice look at a running one-handed shot. But Dampier's presence helped influence the miss, then Stojakovic missed a 14-footer with 16 seconds left, and that was it.

Chris Webber, who had 21 points and a team-high 10 rebounds, generally fared well on offense but looked somewhat shaky on defense. "I hate saying there was anything encouraging about a loss," Webber said, "but truthfully, I liked the way we played. Not in the beginning, but the way we played together in the second half."