Best case scenario

Wall is obviously the number 1 pick.

Philly takes Evan Turner (which is almost a given)

NJ takes Wes Johnson, which is who they're leaning to

Minn. trades with Detroit or drafts Cousins for themselves.

AND THE KINGS GET DERRICK FAVORS!!

(and GS gets stuck with Monroe)

:):cool::D:rolleyes:

And how is this best case? We need a C, not a PF.
I don't think we're in a position to be picky about whether our franchise big is a 4 or a 5. Besides, I think Favors can at least be a stop gap at the 5. Dalembert plays the 5, Thompson can play both the 4 and 5, and Favors can play 4 and 5.

So this is basically Cousins vs. Favors then? I don't know, I like both of them, but Cousins' size makes him a unique commodity in the NBA, just like Tyreke Evans. Next season, he's already the biggest young center in the league. Favors is reportedly the better defender though, which is obviously a big deal. I guess it comes down to how well Cousins' size and productivity will transfer to the NBA versus how long it takes Favors to put together an major offensive game (or if he does...Dwight still hasn't and Bynum's still a work in progress).

I don't think we're in a position to be picky about whether our franchise big is a 4 or a 5. Besides, I think Favors can at least be a stop gap at the 5. Dalembert plays the 5, Thompson can play both the 4 and 5, and Favors can play 4 and 5.
Indeed, let us not look a gift 6'10 245 lb 18 year old in the mouth.

True, but the OP hails this as "best case scenario". I think the question is how is drafting a PF the best case scenario, when we really need a center?

So this is basically Cousins vs. Favors then? I don't know, I like both of them, but Cousins' size makes him a unique commodity in the NBA, just like Tyreke Evans. Next season, he's already the biggest young center in the league. Favors is reportedly the better defender though, which is obviously a big deal. I guess it comes down to how well Cousins' size and productivity will transfer to the NBA versus how long it takes Favors to put together an major offensive game (or if he does...Dwight still hasn't and Bynum's still a work in progress).
Well luckily for us (assuming NJ takes Johnson and we don't take Monroe) we won't have to decide, we just pick who Minny doesn't pick

True, but the OP hails this as "best case scenario". I think the question is how is drafting a PF the best case scenario, when we really need a center?
Because he likes Favors more than Cousins. So its his best case scenario. I like Favors more too, the best case scenario for me is Favors.

You have to look at more than just size though. You have to look at makeup, age, athleticism, and upside. And so what if Favors takes longer to develop offensively, it's not like we're contending any time soon anyway.

For anyone enamored with Favors; tell me something he does that Hassan Whiteside can't do?
Strength, leaping ability, boxing out, man to man defense, defensive fundamentals, finishing ability, motor, IQ, more advanced at much younger age, and work ethic.

I doubt whether you've actually seen either of them play if you're seriously asking that question.

You have to look at more than just size though. You have to look at makeup, age, athleticism, and upside. And so what if Favors takes longer to develop offensively, it's not like we're contending any time soon anyway.
IF he develops. IF he ever reaches a certain level. The Favors fantasy continues. So far all anyone knows about Favors actual skillset is that hes very athletic and has potential to be a really good defender. Another thing that I dont understand is why so many people were calling for Cole Aldrich because hes a center and denouncing Ekpe Udoh because hes not a center. Enter Favors vs Cousins and suddenly their respective positions dont matter anymore. Theres not much consistency. Its as though some are stubborn.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
What is interesting is all the reports that Kahn has basically alienated both Favors and Cousins, and everyone representing them. He hasn't shown any interest in Cousins from day 1, and Cousins never worked out for them. Favors did work out for Minn, relunctantly, and then Kahn insulted Favors and called him "out of shape". Don't know how big of a deal that was, but reports suggest Favors and his agent were insulted by what Kahn said publicly about the workout.

So Kahn continues to burn his bridges, and now it seems WJ will be off the board. Kahn really could be the best thing fow our franchise. Seems to be drunk at the wheel, and has no clue what he is doing. There is also a report today that he is greatly overestimating Al Jeffersons value, and won't be able to move him.

What is interesting is all the reports that Kahn has basically alienated both Favors and Cousins, and everyone representing them. He hasn't shown any interest in Cousins from day 1, and Cousins never worked out for them. Favors did work out for Minn, relunctantly, and then Kahn insulted Favors and called him "out of shape". Don't know how big of a deal that was, but reports suggest Favors and his agent were insulted by what Kahn said publicly about the workout.

So Kahn continues to burn his bridges, and now it seems WJ will be off the board. Kahn really could be the best thing fow our franchise. Seems to be drunk at the wheel, and has no clue what he is doing. There is also a report today that he is greatly overestimating Al Jeffersons value, and won't be able to move him.
And...as I posted in the offseason thread, he's trying to acquire more first round picks (trading 16 for two picks in the 20's). What are they going to do with four guaranteed rookie contracts? He's not a very good GM. I don't always like Petrie's decisions, but he's a better GM on his worst day than Kahn.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Anyone who complains if we end up with Derrick Favors in this draft is crazy. Jersey picking Wes Johnson is our best-case scenario because it means we're guaranteed either Cousins or Favors which is what we wanted before the lottery anyway.

Last edited:
Anyone who complains if we end up with Derrick Favors in this draft is crazy. Jersey picking Wes Johnson is out best-case scenario because it means we're guaranteed either Cousins or Favors which is what we wanted before the lottery anyway.
Seriously. You'd have to be crazier than DeMarcus Cousins if you're complaining about the Kings getting Favors.

IF he develops. IF he ever reaches a certain level. The Favors fantasy continues. So far all anyone knows about Favors actual skillset is that hes very athletic and has potential to be a really good defender. Another thing that I dont understand is why so many people were calling for Cole Aldrich because hes a center and denouncing Ekpe Udoh because hes not a center. Enter Favors vs Cousins and suddenly their respective positions dont matter anymore. Theres not much consistency. Its as though some are stubborn.
And Cousins is Mr. polished, right? :rolleyes:

This is getting ridiculous. It's funny how easy players fall into stereotypes amongst fans and then perceptions of their abilities creep further and further away from reality. Is Favors as developed offensively as Cousins? No, but he's also still 18 and many of his abilities were hidden in a crappy offensive system, while Cousins abilities were catered to in a very good offensive system. Favors is a very good defender and rebounder, he's also a very good and strong finisher at the basket with a nice touch. He gets tip ins and put backs. Once he learns how to get and keep position on the block and a few post moves, he's going to be a very good offensive player. I wouldn't bet on him being a true go-to scorer so much, but something similar to a prime McDyess? I can definitely see that. I think Favors projects as a better off-ball scorer than Cousins, and he's going to be worlds better than him defensively.

It's because their talents are nowhere near the Cousins and Favors level, so when you're talking more complementary talent anyway, it makes sense to be a little more picky if overall talent is seemingly on a similar level. With Favors vs. Cousins you have to be more focused on who will be the greater impact player regardless of position. I put my money on Favors because he has a very good motor, commits himself defensively even when he's not getting touches on offense, and is good offensively when you consider his age. He showed a great attitude and aggressiveness when he was in a very poor system that didn't give him the amount of touches he deserved.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Best case scenario would be BronBron signs with us, and then it doesnt really matter who we draft. :p

Second best case scenario would have us getting Cuz.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Whoa - another Varnado fan? Looking at his college production, the kid was a beast at Mississippi state. I wonder why he isn't rated higher?
Age, and lack of growth potential. I really like Varnado, but I doubt he is capable of putting on much more weight. He has decent height and length, and personally I don't think he needs to carry more weight to be effective. He just needs to get stronger. But unfortunately that, and his limited offensive game are pushing him down in the draft.

Age, and lack of growth potential. I really like Varnado, but I doubt he is capable of putting on much more weight. He has decent height and length, and personally I don't think he needs to carry more weight to be effective. He just needs to get stronger. But unfortunately that, and his limited offensive game are pushing him down in the draft.
You know more than I do. I just see his 5 blocks per game in 30 minutes in a decent conference and drool a bit. I think he's worth drafting at 33, should he be available.