Bek & K-Law Named to Team USA

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2007-09-06-olympic-basketball-women_N.htm

Uncertainty surrounds U.S. women's squad

The U.S. women begin training Friday in preparation for this month's Olympic qualifying tournament — which the Americans need to win to punch their ticket to the 2008 Games in Beijing.
But there is more uncertainty this year than there was around preparations for the 2006 World Championship, where the USA finished third.
Twelve of the 22 players on the roster either won't be in camp Friday in New York or not at the eight-team tournament in Chile on Sept. 26, creating several concerns:
•Rebounding: 6-5 Lisa Leslie had a baby in June and won't play in Chile; 6-5 Sylvia Fowles (Louisiana State) and 6-4 Candace Parker (Tennessee) are questionable due to school commitments.
•Injuries: Several players have been sidelined — Tamika Catchings (Achilles' tendon), Sheryl Swoopes (back), Lindsey Harding (knee).

•Chemistry: Six players are still competing in the WNBA Finals — Diana Taurasi and Cappie Pondexter of the Phoenix Mercury; Katie Smith, Swin Cash, Deanna Nolan and Cheryl Ford (day-to-day with a knee injury) of the Detroit Shock.
"Training camp is difficult when you don't have all your key players," said Anne Donovan, U.S. women's Olympic coach. "We have to continue to train the players who have committed and are available and not really get focused on who is not there."
Leslie said she wanted to play and practiced with her Los Angeles Sparks teammates the last week of the regular season, but said she isn't ready to return to the court. Leslie had a Caesarean section during the June 15 birth of her daughter, Lauren, who was breached.
"I want to take my time and get stronger," said the 34-year-old Leslie, who plans to stop by the team's training camp Friday while she is in New York to meet with Kensington Publishing about her book, Don't Let the Lipstick Fool You, due out next year, "I'm working with my trainer, working on cardio and the next step is on-court stuff. The hardest part is lateral movement."
Leslie said depending on how her body feels, she might join the team after the qualifying tournament for an eight-game college tour beginning Oct. 31.
To bolster the roster, USA Basketball will announce as early as Friday that Loree Moore (New York Liberty), Kara Lawson and Rebekkah Brunson (Sacramento Monarchs), Asjha Jones (Connecticut Sun) and Candice Wiggins (Stanford) will be added to the squad.
The USA will name its 12-player roster for the Olympic qualifying tournament by Sept. 20.
The women's competition in Chile will not be as tough as its Olympic competition. Defending world champion Australia won't be in Chile and neither will Russia, which defeated the USA at the 2006 world championship.
Donovan said the toughest competition will be Cuba and Brazil, which the USA beat in the bronze medal game at last year's world championship.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

I added the bold purple.

Congratulations!!!

Congrats to Kara and Bekka for making the roster! :)

But my question is, how will this affect Kara's broadcasting duties for the ESPN networks during the NCAA season?

One last thing: Lisa Leslie's new book is titled "Don't Let The Lipstick Fool You". Shouldn't that title be used by Tina Thompson instead? :D

To answer the ESPN question, probably not that much, I doubt once the members of the senior national team who are currently unavailable are back that Kara is on the final roster that will be touring against college teams. They need a backup point guard and a starting SF to replace some banged up people.

A bigger question for me is Brunson healthy enough to grind out another month of basketball, she's probably healthier than Ford is...but by how much? I love that she got a nod tho, hope her name pops up again for Beijing. I was telling someone a year or two ago that I hoped the committee remembered she's donned the uni for USA Basketball back in the day. She's now worked herself into a very very intriguing piece to potentially add for upcoming national teams should some front court spots open.

FYI...the touring national team will play @ Stanford on 11/15. Excellent reason to make a KF.com Monarchs Forum field trip, no?

Major props & congratulations to both Brunson & K-Law...great news.
I, as well hope Brunson is healthy. ''Just the same the whole experience will be priceless. I'll tell you, do these players have the coolest jobs:cool:

I'm with you MBF...We gotta roll to Stanford & support team USA.
Is that on a Thursday? If it's Nov.15th, I'll be off. Count me in my friend.

Nice that our players are being recognized for their game & character.
Then we fans get a chance to extend our season, so to speak;)

Stanford Game Tickets

I would definitely like to get tickets for the 11/15/07 game at Stanford. I would also like to get tickets for the Stanford vs Baylor game on 12/16/07 and the Stanford vs Tennessee game on 12/22/07. If anyone has any insight or connections for buying tickets please email me, mcscrooge@comcast.net. Thanks.