Bee: Miller is hitting nothing but net

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11440643p-12354882c.html

Miller is hitting nothing but net

The Kings center is fifth in the league in field-goal shooting.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The Kings offer many opportunities most NBA players never experience.
And quite likely, some longtime Kings take the positive experiences for granted.

Where else does the coach scream at players more for not shooting than shooting too much? Rick Adelman permits as much offensive freedom as any coach in the league.

And if most players have a green light to shoot, center Brad Miller's is flashing brightly with the word "NOW."

"Every time he has an open shot, he should take it," Adelman said. "He's shooting them so well, and when he makes them, he opens it inside for everybody."

Miller is fifth in the NBA in field-goal percentage at 56.8, and he's scoring nearly as frequently from 15 to 18 feet as he is around the basket. His perimeter shot has a release so clean, effortless and accurate, it rarely draws iron, much less goes astray.

It's all about efficiency with Miller, the team's third-leading scorer at 17.6 points per game. He's averaging only 11.6 field-goal attempts to go with an 85.3 percent free-throw shooting.

Adelman said Miller has been a lot better at taking open shots this season, but it's hard to change a player's approach.

"I don't think he's ever been on a team where he was a volume shooter," Adelman said, "and he's going to usually hit the open man and move the ball. But he also has the ability to get a guy in the air after making shots to go around him. Making those shots just helps him take advantage of what the defense gives him."

Miller said he realizes he has to take those opportunities to help his team.

"I've kept working on my shooting during the summer," he said. "I don't play a lot, but I shoot a lot. And I know if I'm taking 15-to 18-footers and making 50-plus percent of them, I've got to start shooting more of them."

During this early portion of the season, Miller has been Sacramento's most consistent player as the Kings attempt to find a groove, laugh at the cynics and take what they believe is their place among the league's elite.

They get a chance to move to .500 for the first time this season tonight when they face the struggling Chicago Bulls at Arco Arena. The Kings (3-4) have won three of their past four. The Bulls (0-4) are beginning a seven-game road trip that also will take them to Golden State, Denver, Los Angeles to play the Lakers, Phoenix, Utah and finally Cleveland before they host the Lakers on Dec. 1.

Think the Kings were shooting poorly? Only the Warriors are shooting worse than the Bulls' 39 percent. Rookie forward Luol Deng leads Chicago in scoring at 18.5 points per game and is shooting 45.6 percent from the field. But the Bulls' next four highest scorers - Kirk Hinrich (35.4), Andres Nocioni (32.7), Eddy Curry (36.0) and rookie guard Ben Gordon (30.2) - drop off significantly with their accuracy.

A game against the Bulls takes Miller back because he played 105 games with them in the 2000-01 and 2001-02 seasons before he was traded to Indiana on Feb. 19, 2002.

Two years, many victories and millions of dollars later, Miller is focused on trying to win a title with the Kings. Miller came to Sacramento in a sign-and-trade deal involving Scot Pollard and Hedo Turkoglu before last season, and the 28-year-old center has stepped in as the replacement for the aging Vlade Divac, who rejoined the Lakers as a free agent. Divac hopes to begin practicing this week after sitting out because of a herniated disc in his bacK.

I LOVE THIS GUYS HARD WORK AND COMMITMENT!!!!!

Brad Miller, the most dependable player on the team. I have to think really hard to remember a time when his presence on the floor hurt the team. What a player.

Yah, I would rather have Miller at the PF spot, and find a decent center.. Hell, the way that Mourning has been playing for the Nets I would take him for Webbers contract, and then move Peja back into the spot as the "go to guy" and Miller back to his passing big man role that scores 18 points on 8 shots as he did last year.

People blame the Kings quick start on the easy schedule, but when they were playing the tough teams they were still winning big, and I think the team works well will Peja as the main man, and Miller in the power forward spot. I think if Webber never came back we would have won the title. The team was pretty much unstoppable.

Don't get me wrong though, I think once this team finds an identity they will be fine, but I like Miller better as a PF, and Peja as the go to guy.

Gary said:
People blame the Kings quick start on the easy schedule, but when they were playing the tough teams they were still winning big, and I think the team works well will Peja as the main man, and Miller in the power forward spot. I think if Webber never came back we would have won the title. The team was pretty much unstoppable.
That is flat out ignorance. The Kings had huge defensive weaknesses in the paint because they were slow. This board pointed that out clearly leading up to Webb's return.
Miller is a center. Athletically he cannot match up with most teams 4. I think what you should say, is that we should find a solid 4 instead of Webb because that is the root of your comment.

I'm soo glad Brad is a King. I'd pick him on my team anytime. I really admire his intensity, his hard work, the energy and hustle he brings to the floor, and his love for the game... and I like it seeing him smile during the games - it's like he's having fun out there... Gotta love him!!! :)

Gary said:
Yah, I would rather have Miller at the PF spot, and find a decent center.. Hell, the way that Mourning has been playing for the Nets I would take him for Webbers contract, and then move Peja back into the spot as the "go to guy" and Miller back to his passing big man role that scores 18 points on 8 shots as he did last year.

Bobby was out, Brad's shooting was nowhere near as accurate after he hurt his elbow, Vlade could barely crawl down the court toward the end of the season, and Peja disappeared. But without Webber, I'm sure the championship was ours. Give me a break.

Without Webb, Dallas would have been a huge challenge. And even if we get past them, we stand no chance with Brad covering KG with a little help from Darius. Minnesota in 5. Webber isn't what he used to be, but he's still one of the best PFs in the league, even with his knee.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gary said:

Sorry, we were about the worst defensive team in the league and getting whipped on the boards. No team like that has ever won the title, nor will it. And our record vs. the elite teams was about .500 as I recall. Something to be proud of given our roster, but not championship level. In particular because we were built roughly as poorly as you can be built for the playoffs. Mavs-like.

Brad's got some real deficiencies as a center (no post game or shotblocking), but he still gives you a much bigger edge at C than he does at PF. Lots of good PFs out there. Very few good Cs. With Brad we get to say we have a Top 5 center and then throw in a talented PF as well. With him at PF he's not in the same league with the elite PFs (Duncan, Garnett etc.), and then we have to go try to dig up one of the few decent centers out there. Instead of 35-40pts and 20rebs out of the frontline, we are lucky to get 30pts 15rebs. There's no comparison really.

thanks for the article....always happy to see a Brad article

you gotta love him....even if you aren't a Kings fan you just gotta love the way he plays the game

so happy he's with the Kings...my most favorite and memorable moment was when he signed with the Kings...i was ecstatic...i've always loved him and his hard work in the way he plays the game

GO BRAD!!

GO KINGS!!

yes, you gotta love him, especially when his words are bleeped out of the article :D

well, the way i see it, it's good to have all the players to be all-around guys, but they do each have a designated post to play.

imagine if brad and bibby switch posts, then were would we be?

he plays beautifully, and he can sometimes maybe be a power forward for a little while, or even shoot 3s,
but right now the kings need him as a center, and he's done a beautiful job at it.

right now, i don't think things warrants a change.

Last edited:
Heuge said:
That is flat out ignorance. The Kings had huge defensive weaknesses in the paint because they were slow. This board pointed that out clearly leading up to Webb's return.
Miller is a center. Athletically he cannot match up with most teams 4. I think what you should say, is that we should find a solid 4 instead of Webb because that is the root of your comment.
I was wondering if you were watching the same team I was last year. It is not ignorant to say that they were a better team last year. Look at the PPG difference, and how we were exploiting teams defenses. Sure Miller is not "athletic" but he would use his outside ability, and passing ability to offset that. Last year as a team we were probally the LEAST athletic, yet we still had the best record. How is that? Also yah we were weak in defensive rebounding, yet we still found ways to win. EVERY team has a weakness that they try to improve.

It was IGNORANT for you to blow my comments out of proportion. And don't tell me what I said. I know what I said.

keflanag said:
Bobby was out, Brad's shooting was nowhere near as accurate after he hurt his elbow, Vlade could barely crawl down the court toward the end of the season, and Peja disappeared. But without Webber, I'm sure the championship was ours. Give me a break.

Without Webb, Dallas would have been a huge challenge. And even if we get past them, we stand no chance with Brad covering KG with a little help from Darius. Minnesota in 5. Webber isn't what he used to be, but he's still one of the best PFs in the league, even with his knee.
Peja dissappeared AFTER Webber came back.. GIVE ME A BREAK.. geez, I swear people were watching a different team than I was.

keflanag: Without Webb we would not have been able to guard Garnett? If I remember correctly Webber had NO lateral movement, and played the best damn bull fighter in league with his "óle!" style of defense. You all quote me as if I am not a Kings fan when I love them to death. Please don't take my comments as if I am a bandwagoner. I am a die hard, yet can be critical when they are not winning as with any other diehard.

Gary said:
I was wondering if you were watching the same team I was last year. It is not ignorant to say that they were a better team last year. Look at the PPG difference, and how we were exploiting teams defenses. Sure Miller is not "athletic" but he would use his outside ability, and passing ability to offset that. Last year as a team we were probally the LEAST athletic, yet we still had the best record. How is that? Also yah we were weak in defensive rebounding, yet we still found ways to win. EVERY team has a weakness that they try to improve.

It was IGNORANT for you to blow my comments out of proportion. And don't tell me what I said. I know what I said.
I was not being ignorant by taking your comments as they were. Fact is we had glaring weaknesses with Brad at the 4. During the Dallas series when we got Webb back and Miller was healthy we played our best basketball of the year. Ifs are always silly but IF we had Bobby I think we would have got the finals.

Gary said:
keflanag: Without Webb we would not have been able to guard Garnett? If I remember correctly Webber had NO lateral movement, and played the best damn bull fighter in league with his "óle!" style of defense. You all quote me as if I am not a Kings fan when I love them to death. Please don't take my comments as if I am a bandwagoner. I am a die hard, yet can be critical when they are not winning as with any other diehard.
I recall Garnett saying something to the extent that the hobbled Webber was still giving him enough trouble and that he was glad he didn't have to face the 100% Webb.

Regarding Gary's comments:

I would much rather have Miller at center. If he was at PF, he would not be able to take open jumpers all day because the opposing PF(such as Garnett, Duncan, Amare, Rasheed, and others) would be able to keep up with him. We need Miller at the C position because he draws out the other team's center, and makes room for our players to cut to the hoop and have uncontested layups. Webber is much better at the PF position because he is more versatile offensively, and can create his own shot much better than Miller could against elite power forwards.

yea it's a matter of matchups... can you imagine brad guarding KG? or Duncan... he'd get torched for 30 easily. he just can't keep up with faster and more athletic PF. he's a hell of a center because he's so unique. the vlade-like ability to hit the outside jumper with ease, or draw out the opponent's big man thus opening up the lane makes him our perfect center.

about the webber thing... i think it's been discussed a gazilion times, and the "what ifs" are getting really old. we can only speculate, and that leads to heated arguments :(

People blame the Kings quick start on the easy schedule, but when they were playing the tough teams they were still winning big, and I think the team works well will Peja as the main man, and Miller in the power forward spot.
Would it shock you to note that the Kings have the EXACT same record through 8 games as they did last year? 4 up and 4 down. However, last year, we were ranked last in schedule difficulty (meaning we had the easiest schedule) this year, so far, we have the hardest.