Bee: Brown will not initiate contact

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/227067.html

Brown will not initiate contact
The Hall of Fame coach still was waiting for a call from Sacramento.
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:43 am PDT Sunday, June 17, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

If the first day was any indication, the prospect of Larry Brown coaching the Kings seemed about as likely as Ohio State center Greg Oden coming to Sacramento with the No. 10 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.

One day after the Hall of Fame coach expressed an interest in the Kings' vacancy, neither party called the other to facilitate a discussion. Reached at his Philadelphia home late Saturday night, Brown said he wouldn't be the first one to call. Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie and co-owner Gavin Maloof did not return calls Saturday evening for comment.

"I don't think it's my place to go after a job," Brown said while watching the College World Series. "I have too much respect for Geoff and people like that to put my name out there and go after it. I'm not comfortable doing that, and ... if they have an interest and want to pursue it, that's entirely up to them."

As Brown joked, he has had to get over being spurned by Petrie before. As an assistant coach at North Carolina, Brown recruited Petrie when he was in high school. But the lanky shooter opted for Princeton en route to his NBA career. This time, Brown is by far the most elite of the interested parties.

The remaining candidates appear to be Los Angeles Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, Kings assistant Scott Brooks and New Mexico State coach and former King Reggie Theus -- none of whom has NBA head- coaching experience. Brooks has been a fill-in head coach for six games in Denver and Sacramento, going 2-4.

And even though Brown was unable to land head-coaching jobs this offseason in Charlotte and Memphis, he said the Kings must be the ones calling.

"I'm 66 years old," said Brown, who is the only coach to have won championships in college and the NBA. "I've been in the league coaching a long, long time, and people know what I've done -- both good and bad. If there's an interest, they'll go forward.

"Geoff Petrie's about as good as they come. And if he thinks it's the right thing to do, I'm sure he'll do it. If not, I respect that. I've got a job helping the Sixers with the draft ... . I just miss coaching and miss it terribly. That's basically where I'm at."

While Shaw, Brooks, Theus and Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis are the only candidates to have received second interviews, Rambis is believed to be out of the running. Shaw and Theus interviewed with the entire Maloof family Friday in Las Vegas, and Brooks' second interview came with Joe and Gavin Maloof and Petrie in Las Vegas on June 11. A decision is not expected until the middle of this week, at the earliest.

Brown reiterated that his inspiration to rejoin the coaching ranks was two-fold. Not only is this his longest stint away from the sideline (14 months) in his coaching career, but his 23-59 record with the New York Knicks in the 2005-06 season is not the way he prefers to end an otherwise legendary career. If he became the Kings' coach, Brown said, he would not relocate his family but is more than willing to deal with the separation.

"My family's happy here, so whatever happens happens," he said. "I figure things always happen for the right reasons, and I'm going to move on either way."

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at samick@ sacbee.com.

Just go get him Petrie... Yeah he has baggage and stuff but he is a great coach and teacher. He has a championship. He'd be a great teacher for whatever assistant we have while he's here for 2 years. He's one of the few coaches who could handle Ron. Yeah he had a bad record in New York but that roster was a mess, the young players were rookies and weren't as good as they are now, they made a mid season trade or 2 and that team is just a mess. He already said he wouldn't mind coaching a rebuilding team and helping this franchise. The only guy I'd like instead would be Brian Shaw... if we choose a guy like Theus over Brown I think I might just kill myself.

Har, har... he doesn't want to put his name out there, but continues to speak to the press about how much he wants to coach and how interested he is in Sac's opening. I guess he is at least honest about how his family isn't interested in our cow town. We can only wish Ron Jeremy was that honest. If we hire him, it should be contingent on him moving his family here.

Give Amick props for the bit about Brown recruiting Petrie. Tha't s a nice bit of trivia there.

Last edited:
I wonder if Rick Adleman will move his family to that hot steamy mess called H-town (no offense Houstonians but your summer heat is damn oppressive!). Adelman always kept one foot and parts of his family in his hometown Portland, OR all the years he was in Sac.

I wonder if Rick Adleman will move his family to that hot steamy mess called H-town (no offense Houstonians but your summer heat is damn oppressive!). Adelman always kept one foot and parts of his family in his hometown Portland, OR all the years he was in Sac.
Adelman isn't campaigning for a job through the press. If you your family is happy and doesn't want to relocate, maybe it's time to just hang it up. Spend time with them and stop chasing after jobs that weren't interested enough in you to even contact you.

Just go get him Petrie... Yeah he has baggage and stuff but he is a great coach and teacher. He has a championship. He'd be a great teacher for whatever assistant we have while he's here for 2 years. He's one of the few coaches who could handle Ron. Yeah he had a bad record in New York but that roster was a mess, the young players were rookies and weren't as good as they are now, they made a mid season trade or 2 and that team is just a mess. He already said he wouldn't mind coaching a rebuilding team and helping this franchise. The only guy I'd like instead would be Brian Shaw... if we choose a guy like Theus over Brown I think I might just kill myself.
There is absolutely no way Brown could handle Artest. No chance. He had run ins with Iverson and Marbury to only name a couple and they are choir boys compared to Artest.

The more I see of this sorry coaching saga the more I think Brooks will be our coach. God help us :(

Larry Brown is by far the best coach the NBA Pacers have ever had - he is a remarkable coach. He is just very gifted. The Kings would be foolish not to at least contact him

Yea larry well can just keep waiting. The dude is a control freak who hates young players, screw him. We don't need him or his Geoff Petrie *** kissing in the media.

Ok but if he comes here and all he as to coach is young players like Martin and Garcia and Price,etc... than he will have no choice but to let the young guys play.

Ok but if he comes here and all he as to coach is young players like Martin and Garcia and Price,etc... than he will have no choice but to let the young guys play.
I very much doubt he comes in (and stays happy, and doesn't raise a stink, if he does), if he is forced to play young players.

He was fired after a very poor record in NY, and he shall be looking to redeem himself, and for that he shall want to trade for, and play vets. While he is a great coach, I don't think he is a fit for our current needs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If he's not willing to move his family to Sacramento, he could be gone overnight. He's put the perfect excuse in place in case. "I thought I could do this without my family, but I simply cannot. I just love them too much to continue to be separated ... " I can hear it already.

He just wants to use us as a stepping stone to get back into the good graces of the NBA. Screw that, forget Brown and lets get Shaw.
to do that wouldn't he have to do a great job as a coach? if that's the plan, then i say let him come do it for two years while training another coach

to do that wouldn't he have to do a great job as a coach? if that's the plan, then i say let him come do it for two years while training another coach
Oh please, that's one expensive tutor wouldn't you think? We don't need a tutor, we need someone who is interested in developing a team for the future which should be our gameplan. Brown is not interested in the long haul, it's not his MO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The main objection to that is we have NO way to be sure he'd stay for two years. Things could go well or they could go very, very badly.

The main objection to that is we have NO way to be sure he'd stay for two years. Things could go well or they could go very, very badly.
that is true for ANY coach. it could go great. it could go badly. the only difference with LB is that we know the extremes of either possibility. for example, if we hired Brooks, we don't know how well or how badly we do. we might improve and grab that number 8 seed in the playoffs for a first round loss. we might have the same record as this season. but with Brown, we know that if all goes wrong, it'll go horribly wrong, and might even force a team blow up. but if it goes well, it'll be amazing.

so really, its all a big gamble.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
that is true for ANY coach. it could go great. it could go badly. the only difference with LB is that we know the extremes of either possibility. for example, if we hired Brooks, we don't know how well or how badly we do. we might improve and grab that number 8 seed in the playoffs for a first round loss. we might have the same record as this season. but with Brown, we know that if all goes wrong, it'll go horribly wrong, and might even force a team blow up. but if it goes well, it'll be amazing.

so really, its all a big gamble.
But with Brown, we know that if all goes wrong, it's go horribly wrong.
Yup. AND the chances of it going horribly wrong have to be much greater than with someone who doesn't have the track record of Larry Brown. It's like taking a job to drive a truck cross-country for $1 million. It's a great opportunity to make a lot of money but when you find out the cargo is nitroglycerin you really have to think a long time about whether it's a risk you're willing to take.

Remember the tale about the lady and the snake?

if we can get him cheap we need to. if he can come and completely ruin this team and cause people like Bibby, Artest, Miller, KT and SAR to demand trades, then we might be in luck:p

if we can get him cheap we need to. if he can come and completely ruin this team and cause people like Bibby, Artest, Miller, KT and SAR to demand trades, then we might be in luck:p
I would only accept Brown on three conditions:

1.) You're the coach. Geoff is the GM. Shut the eff up on anything jeopardizing those points, you arrogant primadonna pig.

2.) Brooks or Shaw needs to be your #1 asst so that when you eventually burn us, we'll be protected.

3.) You willl not earn more than 3m per year. Especially with that 18.5m settlement....

That in consideration, all systems go!!!!!!

Honestly, 2yrs, 7m. 1m bonuses each year he makes the playoffs, plus 1m each time he reaches a conference or NBA Championship. So it boils down to 2 yrs, 8m.

I can live with that.

Honestly, 2yrs, 7m. 1m bonuses each year he makes the playoffs, plus 1m each time he reaches a conference or NBA Championship. So it boils down to 2 yrs, 8m.

I can live with that.
yeah, WE could live with that, but we're talking about the guy who made like 7 million in ONE season...and I know he's sitting on about 40 million that he doesnt have to work for from his NY buyout, but he's still Larry Brown and wants Larry Brown money. I dont really think this is close to even reaching first base...the Kings and Brown.

edit: and thats fine with me, because I dont want him within 500 miles of our head coaching job.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

I can live with that.
The WORST thing that can hapen right now is to have a coach trying o make the play offs next year. This team needs to do EVERYTHING it can to rebuild over next season. That means not just bringing in a good coach and an aquisation or two, but developing young tallent, making space in the roster and clearing cap space. To be honest I suspect a semi-temporary coach will be fine over the season. I also highly suspect that LB would be on board with a 2-3 year rebuild plan that sends out tallent for picks, raw youngsters, and cap space having virtually no change of making the play offs regardless of the coach.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
yeah, WE could live with that, but we're talking about the guy who made like 7 million in ONE season...and I know he's sitting on about 40 million that he doesnt have to work for from his NY buyout, but he's still Larry Brown and wants Larry Brown money. I dont really think this is close to even reaching first base...the Kings and Brown.

edit: and thats fine with me, because I dont want him within 500 miles of our head coaching job.

He's a multi-millionare. What does he care if we pay him $2 mill a year?...If he's sincere about missing coaching, he'd do it for chump change.