(Bee) Breton: Kings, Webber spiraling together

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/106910.html

Marcos Breton: Kings, Webber spiraling together
By Marcos Breton - Bee Sports Columnist
Published 12:00 am PST Friday, January 12, 2007

How ironic is it that the Philadelphia 76ers dump Chris Webber at the same time the Kings are in the dumper?

It's as if the fortunes of the Kings and the greatest King Sacramento ever knew are still linked, as if both are going down together after setting Sactown ablaze not long ago.

It sounds crazy -- and appears moot, as www.yahoo.com reported late Thursday that he will join Detroit once he clears waivers -- but C-Webb in Sacramento would be a welcome sight right about now.

At least the man has a personality.

At least the man makes you care, inspires people to get in their cars on frigid January nights to pay obscene prices for Kings tickets, parking, concessions.

You already know that the fellas wearing the Kings laundry today are an enigmatic grouping of disparate parts that fall short as a basketball concept or a diversion.

You know that this Kings team is lacking an image, an identity that could help take the edge off being 14-18 and in last place in the Pacific Division.

You know you could take the losing if there was somebody in the Kings' organization communicating with you that better days are in the offing.

But there isn't. What we mostly hear from the owners and team president is silence. What we mostly hear from veteran players are backhanded slaps at the coach and younger players.

Mike Bibby, Brad Miller and Ron Artest are very talented players, but are there three guys who give a greater impression of a three-legged racehorse -- both on the court and off in conflicting messages?

Are these guys on the same page with each other? With coach Eric Musselman? With Kevin Martin, the anointed Kings star of the future?

No one knows the answers to those questions and that's the problem -- losses amid uncertainty are a huge buzz kill.

You know this because you are leaving a lot of empty seats at Kings "sellouts" these days, or you're booing louder than ever. You're leaving a lot earlier than ever. And last week's overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers -- where a four-point Kings lead with mere seconds left evaporated?

Was that a Kings home game or a Lakers home game? It was hard to tell, as if a regional hoops war once waged passionately had been won by the SoCal side.

Capitulation was spelled in three letters chanted again and again -- at Arco Arena! -- when Kobe Bryant touched the ball: MVP! MVP! MVP!

Which brings us back to Webber, or more precisely -- to the idea of Webber, the memory of Webber, the meaning of Webber.

Everyone knows his once-explosive game has diminished greatly. Just as his trade from the Kings to the 76ers two short years ago made perfect sense as a salary dump, though no one wanted to call it a salary dump.

No one at Arco Arena wants to use the word "rebuilding" either, but isn't that the bitter pill that needs to be swallowed by the Kings now?

If the losses continue along with a veteran core at odds with team direction -- calling out guys who "don't want to win" and coaches who don't make adjustments -- what else can you do for fans paying exorbitant prices?

You give them hope by building toward a new future. And you give them a distraction to pass the time, something to feel good about -- a vessel of hope.

It's what the Giants did by signing Barry Zito for crazy money that had as much to do with his marquee value as his game.

It's what Major League Soccer is doing by paying stupid money to David Beckham, the British soccer star/pop icon who is so overrated it's not even funny -- but who puts people in the seats.

Webber's got his 76ers money after the team waived him Thursday, and it appears the Pistons got him for a bargain. Love him or hate him -- and Sacramentans did both when he was here -- he is an attraction who still could have helped the Kings in the most important court of all: the court of public opinion. But the guy wants to play for a title contender, which the Kings certainly are not.

The point here is: The image of Webber as a King again is more appealing than the image of the current Kings.

"C-Webb's House" is definitely haunted.

About the writer: Reach Marcos Bretón at (916) 321-1096 or mbreton@sacbee.com.

Haha good point there with the Zito and Beckham. I've been saying the same thing though...about Webb coming back, not for his play obviously, but just to have that guy pumping everyone up on the bench during games. Kinda like Vlade used to do when he was here...a big 7 foot cheerleader on the bench lol. It helps guys WANT to play to win. I mean he can't hurt us anymore than we're already hurt here.

wow. ouch. sigh. He's right on the money. I don't think Chris should come back, but they (and we) sure could use some inspiration. I said in another thread, "I miss him." I also miss ho our team used to rally - maybe nott always for the win, but always around each other. I think that ended when Vlade and Doug left.

What a piece of garbage article. There is no way Webber would come back to the Kings unless he thought we were one player (him) away from winning it all. Right now, we're about 5 players short of that goal. Anything from Webber, his agent or his agents that suggests Webber 'could' be a King again - is just to use us to get a deal somewhere else. (Think Phil Jackson)
AND... let's not forget how our team suffered when Webber came back from that injury. To have him and his Ralph Sampson-mobility along with Brad at the 4 & 5 spots would give other teams a wet dream about driving to the basket.
It's time to let all the kids out of the nursery and give them PT. Let em have fun. Use the vets to get all they can get us in terms of cap space, expirings and picks.

What a piece of garbage article.
I think the article is not extoling the virtues of Webber. I belive the point of the article is to highlight the complete disarray of the team at this point. Moreover, love or hate Webb he had personality which the current group is lacking.

I think the article is not extoling the virtues of Webber. I belive the point of the article is to highlight the complete disarray of the team at this point. Moreover, love or hate Webb he had personality which the current group is lacking.
Does Breton go to bed at 7pm or something?

Webber was on TNT last night. Breton bought the Detroit rumor but Webber nixed it last night and said it was way out of line.

Does Breton go to bed at 7pm or something?

Webber was on TNT last night. Breton bought the Detroit rumor but Webber nixed it last night and said it was way out of line.
Didn't say it was out of line. He just said it wasn't a done deal yet. He could steal go other places. But I wouldn't count out Detroit as a likely destination

missing the point?

Webber is not in dissaray. He won't be until none of the five teams he wants to play for sign him. His future is much brighter than the kings'.

Didn't say it was out of line. He just said it wasn't a done deal yet. He could steal go other places. But I wouldn't count out Detroit as a likely destination
I'll have to pull the tape to see his exact words. But it wasn't simply "not a done deal", it was more to the effect that Aldrige's report was way off base. Not even close. Dave's a good guy and all, but he got that one really wrong.

I thought it was a great article.

I thought it was a great article too. And, it pointed out that there is something fundamentally wrong with the Kings right now. It's not just that we are losing, it's that we're a walking disaster. We have no identity, no purpose, no chemistry. The players are calling out eachother and the coach, it's just hard to watch.

The one quote I saw in another thread from CWebb was talking about wanting to go to a team that was winning, or a team that was losing but giving 100%. That's kind of how I feel. I don't mind watching a losing team, but this team is just lacking spirit, drive...

don't get me wrong, I love the Kings. They are just painful to watch rightn now. :(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
AND... let's not forget how our team suffered when Webber came back from that injury. To have him and his Ralph Sampson-mobility along with Brad at the 4 & 5 spots would give other teams a wet dream about driving to the basket.
He's not coming back, and it wouldn't be a great move for us anyway if we did go get him. That said, teams already do have a wet dream about driving to the basket against us, and the last time teams saw that particular Webb/Miller wet dream we still had one of the 10 best records in the league. Now we're pushing hard for 10 worst.

Absolutely agree this team has been in an identity crisis ever since Webber was traded -- actually, one can argue the identiy crisis began when Webber went down and the team got off to a quick start without him.

But yeah, maybe if Webber were here that identity problem wouldn't be so acute.

At the same time, doesn't this team need to find a new identity? I mean, Webber being here would be sort of a patch. It might have given some cohesion in the short term, but this team needs to form a new identity around its new key players, not cling to the old.

So it's ugly, but as with everything Webber-trade related, I feel like it's necessary-ugly.

Absolutely agree this team has been in an identity crisis ever since Webber was traded -- actually, one can argue the identiy crisis began when Webber went down and the team got off to a quick start without him.

But yeah, maybe if Webber were here that identity problem wouldn't be so acute.

At the same time, doesn't this team need to find a new identity? I mean, Webber being here would be sort of a patch. It might have given some cohesion in the short term, but this team needs to form a new identity around its new key players, not cling to the old.

I agree that bringing Webb back would do very little for the Kings long term. As much as I'd love to see the team have the identity & chemistry they once had, just bringing him back doesn't guarantee it, and even if it did, it'd be a short term fix. And, honestly, it wouldn't be a good place for Webb at this point anyway.

I am one of the people that still wishes that Webb have been traded, but bringing him back now doesn't make sense.

Pity Webber's not saying "I'd like to leave my mark by playing about 10 minutes for a game for a couple more years, giving advice and helping a bunch of youngsters get off to a good start."

That we could really use.

I thought it was a great article too.
Breton said by making Webber a King (again)... 'You give them hope by building toward a new future. And you give them a distraction to pass the time, something to feel good about -- a vessel of hope.'

This is what I'm reacting to when I say it is a piece-of-garbage article. (I'm not disagreeing with the downward spiral assessment of the Kings.)
First of all, adding Webber is not going to happen, period. Second, and only hypothetically, his post-injury abilities would completely overshadow any possibility of giving Kings fans hope.
Breton's entire argument is that a) Kings fans have no hope, and b) Webber coming back would give them hope.
That, I think, is classic wishful thinking.