[Game] Battle for the Mitch Richmond Trophy (Summer Kings @ Golden State) 7/10/2024 7pm Pacific

That was pretty fun. Mostly great from Keon but he is a bit foul prone and that will need to be tightened up. Real thin line between aggressive and hacking.

I wonder if he will even play in Vegas like Keegan last year
I do wonder if Keon is "experimenting" a bit on defense, because he gets 10 fouls.

I hope he does go play in Vegas, I think these minutes where he's the #1 option are really good for his development. He's taken a noticeable leap and comfort level being on-ball, scoring, than he was at this time last year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We’re also at the weird part of the team building cycle where the Warriors are the ones trying to develop second-hand high upside guys while the Kings are the team just looking for potential three and d minutes eaters but at the same time it feels like some of the Kings guys have more potential than most of the Warriors pieces at this point?

like Isaac Jones is way more interesting to me as a 4/5 hybrid long defensive hustle guy than random Warriors Team Indonesia guy or Kevin Knox and Colby Jones led the game in rebounding as a guard-wing and did everything well except for whatever the hell was wrong with his floater tonight. Mason just continues to look like a full-on NBA level player as well.

All in all, it might be safe to say that the Kings scouting department knows its stuff.

Podz is the next generation of annoying player
Podz was the player that "won" the most charges last season, according to the commentators. Would that still happen if he wasn't playing for the Warriors/Lakers/Celtics/Knicks I wonder? Still him and TJD were perfect draft picks.

Anyway, I guess we might bump into them again in Vegas, but if Keon won't be playing for Kings and Podz/TJD for the Warriors I doubt any team would go quite far, in the Summer League I mean.

We’re also at the weird part of the team building cycle where the Warriors are the ones trying to develop second-hand high upside guys while the Kings are the team just looking for potential three and d minutes eaters but at the same time it feels like some of the Kings guys have more potential than most of the Warriors pieces at this point?

like Isaac Jones is way more interesting to me as a 4/5 hybrid long defensive hustle guy than random Warriors Team Indonesia guy or Kevin Knox and Colby Jones led the game in rebounding as a guard-wing and did everything well except for whatever the hell was wrong with his floater tonight. Mason just continues to look like a full-on NBA level player as well.

All in all, it might be safe to say that the Kings scouting department knows its stuff.
I think Bolden is just trying to find another G League team to sign him (the Indonesia guy for others that are not familiar). This guy is good for marketing reasons only (a bit similar with what happened with Sotto last year in Orlando) and it seems highly unlikely to get a contract somewhere in the NBA. Same thing goes for Knox despite him playing well today, perhaps he saw the clip with Keon "googling" him.

Was really hoping to see Colby do the kinds of things offensively that Keon is doing. He's been disappointing so far. He has a lot of tools but I don't really see any improvement from last year.
He looks full tilt, out of control 1/2 the time. You see flashes but he doesn't even square up for floaters or for jumpers. He is nowhere near as close as I thought a season ago.

Give me Keon over Pod any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Was reading a few Warriors fans perspective on him and it sounds like a few have really soured on him, but huge year for both players. Anyways, a few thoughts on the game:

Absolutely love Keon's midrange game, great to see it starting to come around as that was probably his weak point last year. I'm curious if they are going to play Keon in the Vegas Summer League, wouldn't mind him sitting out after having such a strong game, similar to what they did with Keegan last year, plus would give more of a chance for Colby to take the reins a bit. Either way, lots of things to be excited about from the CC.

Give me Keon over Pod any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Was reading a few Warriors fans perspective on him and it sounds like a few have really soured on him, but huge year for both players. Anyways, a few thoughts on the game:

Absolutely love Keon's midrange game, great to see it starting to come around as that was probably his weak point last year. I'm curious if they are going to play Keon in the Vegas Summer League, wouldn't mind him sitting out after having such a strong game, similar to what they did with Keegan last year, plus would give more of a chance for Colby to take the reins a bit. Either way, lots of things to be excited about from the CC.
He's on the roster for Vegas that they just released. Assume they want him to continue to build on the rhythm that he has going

I was lower on Podz than most before the draft. He’s better than I thought he would be. But I still don’t see him as a lead guard or a high-level defender. So it’s hard for me to peg him as a future starter on a good team.

But I do think he was a good pick where the Warriors took him. And I could see him being a valuable combo guard coming off the bench for a good team.

I still think there are Kings’ Fans sleeping on Keon. He’s a legit floor spacer. I’ll say it again, HE IS A SHOOTER. Other teams have to respect his shot. He keeps the ball moving and he’s an excellent defender. I would only give up Keon if the Kings could replace him with another player just like him that happens to be 6’10”.

So I didn't watch any of this this year, just too busy, but is it fair to say that Monte has really been calculated about his UDFA signings instead of burning 2nd round picks on them, gotten agents to agree to allow their players to go undrafted? Seems so, right?
I think it's way too early to say. I guess in a few years you'd have to take the players that were taken in the vicinity of our 2nd round pick slots and compare them to the UDFAs and play the "what if" comparison game.

I was lower on Podz than most before the draft. He’s better than I thought he would be. But I still don’t see him as a lead guard or a high-level defender. So it’s hard for me to peg him as a future starter on a good team.

But I do think he was a good pick where the Warriors took him. And I could see him being a valuable combo guard coming off the bench for a good team.

I still think there are Kings’ Fans sleeping on Keon. He’s a legit floor spacer. I’ll say it again, HE IS A SHOOTER. Other teams have to respect his shot. He keeps the ball moving and he’s an excellent defender. I would only give up Keon if the Kings could replace him with another player just like him that happens to be 6’10”.
I honestly didn't think Keon would ever get to the comfort level he showed last night on ball. Dude was taking and making tough shots with creation off his own bounce. IIRC, some scouting reports said he like struggled to dribble in college lol.

Can't wait to watch him this season. Feels like a true breakout is waiting.

I can't understand the skepticism. The way Keon played the last month to month and a half of the season and how he's looked so far in SL -- there's really not much to not like about him. He's a super active, high level defender and as you point out his shot looks pretty good. Pretty consistent.

Is he a bonafide star? No! But he did average double digits for us last season once he became a full time starter. And shot over 40% from 3 while being arguably the best defender on the team.

And all of this from basically an undrafted rookie, who still can improve his all-around game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I think Podz is suffering from the THT effect where delusional fans are so intent on him being the next big star for their team that the weight of absolutely undue pressure is going to crush the actual solid role player that the guy is.